PDA

View Full Version : Handguard Cap Rattle? What to do?

benellimax4
04-26-11, 10:46
I just installed my Omega 7 rail on my carbine. The rail is very solid and it was easy to install.

However, there is a small gap at the front by the handguard cap. The retaining cap rattles.

Has anyone solved this problem? It is a hunting gun. So, rattling is a bad thing.

Amicus
04-26-11, 11:00
I would think that the four allen head set screws at the rear of the rail would push the rail system forward into the cap, thereby preventing a rattle. Get in touch with DD.

If they can't solve the problem, then shim the forward portion of the rail, I guess.

Omega_556
04-26-11, 11:24
You don't want the Omega touching the cap, that is the whole point of a free float handguard.

If the rattle bothers you, cut the cap off with a dremel.

sammage
04-26-11, 11:39
The handguard cap shouldn't rattle without any HGs or rail installed.

Rusty_Shackleford
04-26-11, 11:51
You don't want the Omega touching the cap, that is the whole point of a free float handguard.

If the rattle bothers you, cut the cap off with a dremel.+1 dremelfication.......

RD62
04-26-11, 12:06
You risk marring the barrel with a dremel.

I've cut them off with side cutters/diagonal pliers easily and with no risk of damage.

The rail should NOT touch the cap.

justin_247
04-27-11, 02:10
I would think that the four allen head set screws at the rear of the rail would push the rail system forward into the cap, thereby preventing a rattle. Get in touch with DD.

If they can't solve the problem, then shim the forward portion of the rail, I guess.

The problem is obviously not with the rail - DD has nothing to do with the handguard cap. The handguard cap is probably loose because the cap is out-of-spec or the FSB was installed slightly too far forward. Call the original manufacturer of the rifle if it's causing you too much of a problem.

Again, the rail is fine, and it should NOT be touching the handguard cap. Leave DD out of this.

benellimax4
04-27-11, 07:59
Justin, I never blamed DD. I simply said the problem manifested itself after the installation of the DD Omega rail. Go back and READ my post. Then, lighten up.

ucrt
04-27-11, 09:01

First, I would try taking a 12" piece of Teflon tape and twisting it to make a small cord. Take this piece of cord and wedge it between the FSB and the Cap, and then wrap a layer or two all the way around the gap to force it against the barrel's shoulder.

This should silence the rattle and allow you to reverse things if you ever change your mind.

But maybe it's just me...

benellimax4
04-27-11, 10:16
UCRT, that is a great idea. I am also going to first try using some high temperature silicon caulk to do the same thing. I will use a syringe to inject it between the FSB and the cap.

C4IGrant
04-27-11, 10:25
I just installed my Omega 7 rail on my carbine. The rail is very solid and it was easy to install.

However, there is a small gap at the front by the handguard cap. The retaining cap rattles.

Has anyone solved this problem? It is a hunting gun. So, rattling is a bad thing.

Cut it off with tin snips or a dremel.

C4

Iraqgunz
04-27-11, 19:01
I am going to go ahead and say it. This is probably the dumbest thing I have read in awhile. If it's an issue, cut it off. If you need to replace it down the road then buy a new one. This isn't rocket science.

UCRT, that is a great idea. I am also going to first try using some high temperature silicon caulk to do the same thing. I will use a syringe to inject it between the FSB and the cap.