PDA

View Full Version : Notification ~ JOHNO ~ Assistance Needed

M4arc
04-26-11, 14:26
Posted by KrinkFreak on www.theakforum.net. I spoke to KF and asked if I could cross post it here. For those of you that don't know JohnO is a moderator here as well. We're discussing some other fund raising opportunities like a raffle and more information will be available soon.

Members,

All of you pretty much know John Odom (JOHNO) here on The AK Forum. John has been with us since the beginning when we left AR15.COM to find a new home here. It saddens me to let all of you know that John and his wife were involved in a horrible accident while participating in a memorial ride in their motorcycle club.

(News Report)
http://www.wate.com/story/14463752/8-injured-in-monroe-county-crash-involving-6-motorcycles

(Video Report)
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=166521

John was at the number four position in a procession of 35-40 motorcycles while traveling between Etowah and Tellico Plains in Tennessee. As fate would have it, his motorcycle was struck by a truck being driven by a drunk driver coming in the opposite direction. After striking John, the truck continued to careen through the motorcycles taking a total of six of them down, with eight riders injured. A motorist who witnessed the accident scene just a few minutes later described it as an "awful scene with people screaming in pain."

http://wate.images.worldnow.com/images/14463752_BG1.jpg

As soon as I found out about the accident I called John on his cellphone. John was in the hospital with a broken left leg, broken right ankle, and other injuries. Knowing his wife was with him on the ride, I asked John if she was okay. It was then that John told me his wife had lost her left leg in the accident and was in the Intensive Care Unit. That pretty much took the wind out of me and I did not know what to say...After a few moments I told John I was sorry to hear that his wife's injury was so severe. I knew it took a lot out of John to speak to me of the accident so I felt it best to tell him I would stay in touch, and to get some rest.

I contacted the other Staff and Moderators to let them know what had happened and to discuss if there was anything we could do, and what would be appropriate. I spoke with John a few times over the weekend to check up on him and his wife, and to see what the long-term recovery would be for the Odom Family. John said with the extent of his injuries he would be going into a rehabilitation center, and not be able to walk for at least 3 months. His wife would be fitted for a prosthesis and also go through rehabilitation. He is making arrangements now with his family to care for their son while they are recovering from the injuries. After discussing the issue with the Moderators over the weekend, we decided the best thing we could do for John would be some sort of financial assistance to bridge the period of time he would be on reduced pay before returning to his regular job. John had told me that he would be okay for 2-3 weeks as he would burn his vacation time, but after that he would be on his short-term disability as he recovers over the next 3 months. He did not know if, or when his wife would return to work.

So, with that being said I am asking for your assistance with helping the Odom Family get through this unfortunate period of time. I know this is a very trying time for all of us across the nation, but anything you can contribute would be greatly appreciated. One of the Moderators has volunteered to be the point of contact for the Odom Family and we will post details on how you can contribute. Contribution records will be kept in the event anyone would like an accounting of the proceeds raised for the family.

Monetary donations in the form of cash, check, or money order can be sent directly to our point of contact:

Eddie Brown
2142 Drexel St.
Omaha, NE 68107

Just put a note in and let Eddie know it's for the Odom Family.

Those wishing to utilize PayPal can also do so by using Eddie's PayPal info:

eddie1317@cox.net

Be sure to use the "gift" option when using PayPal.

We will continue to keep everyone updated on the recovery of The Odom Family.

Thanks for your help!

KF

The linke to the AKForum thread is here: http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=155139

Zhurdan
04-26-11, 15:34
Donation sent.

JohnO is one hell of a resource over at theakforum.net and by all accounts is a damn nice guy.

I've had my dealings with the rough road and motorcycles, nearly lost my wife to the incident. Their predicament is far worse than what we dealt with and I pray for their speedy recovery.

SteyrAUG
04-26-11, 15:38
I can't imagine.

I already despise drunk drivers to begin with, if one put my wife in the ICU I'd probably go Bronson on the lot of them.

Redmanfms
04-26-11, 21:01
Oh man.

I'm actually going to his AO the week after next.

I've always been reticent to ride in groups that large on surface roads because you have to ride so tight there is no where to go when something like this happens.

Tagged for the contact information.

TOrrock
04-28-11, 20:29
John's a good dude, who's family just got hit hard. I spoke with him today, and he's out of the hospital but is still immobile, they're waiting on the swelling in the worst leg to go down before they can operate.

His wife will start rehab fairly soon, and is beating the pneumonia.

Safetyhit
04-29-11, 08:50
The truck looks like it was in a head on with a car. It's a wonder they even survived.

The road ahead will be long, difficult and painful. But they'll get through it with each other and the good friends they seem to have made along they way.

Please keep us posted.

SHIVAN
05-19-11, 22:09
Bump up for M4Carbine raffle info...

SeriousStudent
05-19-11, 22:54
Yes, let me know how I can buy some tickets to help, when you have the info ready.

More prayers sent for John and his family.

SHIVAN
05-19-11, 23:02
Raffle thread: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81401

1:250 chance to win a great prize while helping a great guy and his wife in their time of need. What could be easier?

Thank you everyone who is willing to help. We all sincerely appreciate it.

lethal dose
02-11-12, 13:52
can anyone update me on john and his wife?

lethal dose
10-29-13, 20:58
Bringing this back up. Haven't been able to contact John. Anyone spoken to him?