PDA

View Full Version : AR Butt Stocks

soapboxpreacherman
04-26-11, 16:03
Ok I have found a group of stocks made by different manufactures that are very similar yet priced differently. The are similar in that they all have wider cheek weld. I would love to know the weight of each. Here are my choices:

LMT SOPMOD...one of my favorites...fits well and build very nice, have no idea on weight but like it alot, highest price of the pack. It doesnt have all the storage some of the other stocks do but I really just need it for ear plugs....maybe some batteries for my 512.

Vltor Emod...I have a beard so it isnt as nice as the LMT. I dont like the loop on the top of the stock either

RRA Operator Car...know nothing about it. Similar in price to the Magpul ACS and I like both the designs

Magpul ACS, have never played around with one but I like the lock to take out any wobble. It is priced very well. Similar to RRA.

Weight would be my first priority, Sturdiness, wobble, and finally QD ability for 2 - point sling. Let me know what you guys thing. I have seen only the SOPMOD and it is very nice.

ZRH
04-26-11, 16:58
Not sure if they are all in there but:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ajl2UPK0UHPsdHNVX2tBak9OS29HR2ZrRFBhUVpYMVE&hl=en#gid=0

ETA: How did I think you were asking about weight? o.O My bad.

A1 stocks have the best feel to me personally. Sopmod is next best.

Fire_Medic
04-26-11, 17:06
I have seen/handled/owned all of the stocks you mentioned except the RRA.

I just got a SOPMOD for the first time, and while it is the priciest, I can now see why it has the following that it does.

After getting the rifle done with the SOPMOD on it, I have long forgotten about the expense of it.

I like the ACS next in line to the SOPMOD, and I agree with you on the VLTOR, I can shave on my own, lol. :sarcastic:

Here's a good article on stocks, even though all of the stocks you mentioned are not in it:

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-buttstock-considerations

l8apex
04-26-11, 17:15
I used to be a verified AR stock changer, until I finally found a smoking deal on a SOPMOD, sold the VLTOR shortly there after. Never thought about other stocks after changing. Store your other items in the grip, I could fall asleep on the cheek weld of the SOPMOD, it is that good. YMMV.

kaltesherz
04-26-11, 19:43
Once you go SOPMOD you don't go back.

There's deals out there to be had, esp on the M4C and TOS Equipment Exchanges, you just have to be patient.

Fried Chicken Blowout
04-26-11, 20:09
What is it that causes the LMT SOPMOD to be some expensive? Is it hard to make? Is there a royalty payment that they have to pay to someone? Why is it considerably more expensive to the Emod? I just got an Emod to day and find it very impressive compared to my other A2 and several MOE stocks. I think I'll be using them in the future for all my builds and may switch out my A2 for an Emod as well. But what am I missing about the LMT?

kaltesherz
04-26-11, 20:29
But what am I missing about the LMT?

Epic awesomeness. It's like a simultaneous orgasm for your shoulder and cheek.

13MPG
04-26-11, 20:49
I have both the SOPMOD and the IMOD. I always have some sort of a beard and often I go months without trimming it. That being said I have not had any issues with the IMOD, yet, lol. I am getting ready to finish off a lower and I will most likely buy another IMOD. I think that they are both similar enough that the lower cost of the IMOD wins it.

jwperry
04-27-11, 06:19
Epic awesomeness. It's like a simultaneous orgasm for your shoulder and cheek.

When coupled to a LMT receiver extension, that statement is true.

I had a SOPMOD on my sr15e3 and it was very nice. The little hole in the top did have a tendency to pull my beard hair though. I swapped it out for a Magpul ACS and didn't regret that decision.

I put the SOPMOD on my Daniel Defense AR and the SOPMOD didn't have near the same smooth feel as it did on the KAC.

Fried Chicken Blowout
04-27-11, 09:47
Not really on topic, but does anyone know how to mount a sling on the bottom of the Emod for a precision rifle? I would prefer a bottom mount for sling assisted standing and kneeling shooting. Has anyone addressed this issue or is it even an issue?

aklaunch
04-27-11, 10:15
I will put my two cents in.

I only have experience with the LMT SOPMOD, Magpul ACS and the Standard M4gery stocks.

The LMT SOPMOD just fits perfect and does not have any wiggle at all. It has a good cheek weld and comes on and off just like the standard M4 stock does. (very easily) It actually fits so tight that i had to lube the receiver extension to make it move back and forth. (I like that) The battery storage is sound and appears to be very water proof.

The Magpul ACS can be a bit more tricky to take on and off if that even matters as you are not going to be doing that often. It appears to be a little less water proof but again another non event. My biggest gripe is that it has a fair amount of wiggle to it..... Even with the friction system. As far as function goes though i really don't notice it while using it at the club.

All in all i like the ACS much better for cheek weld on my Mark 12. On the bi pod at the 200+ yard ranges it is superior! That is because it is bigger though.

I like the SOPMOD stock on my carbine rifle because it is a bit more compact and smaller but finds a nice balance between size and cheek weld and also has a push button swivel attachment.

My recommendation is the ACS for a high powered scope long range AR and the SOPMOD for your carbine red dot rifle.

That is just me though and it only takes into consideration those two models out of many other high quality models.

Good luck.