PDA

View Full Version : Adam Arms complete upper

Space Ghost
04-26-11, 17:03
Does anyone on this thread have the Adam Arms Tactical Elite complete upper? I wanted to know what peoples opinion on it was.

Go easy one me, I'm new to the AR-15 platform.

Also, if you want to suggest any other Complete uppers to look at that would also be cool.

any kind of help is much appreciated.

Thanks for your time and sorry if this was the wrong thread to post this in,

SG

HaydenB
04-26-11, 17:47
I would steer clear of them for three reasons:

1) They are piston uppers.

2) They are a no name company. Would you buy a car from a company the no one has ever heard of?

3) I see nothing on their site about any HPT & MPI on their bolts or barrels.

Space Ghost
04-26-11, 18:11
Thanks for your input.

Like I said, I'm new to the AR-15 platform so I don't know any of the big name companys. :laugh:

Just wondering, is there something bad about piston systems that I don't know about or are they just a waste of money for how expensive they are, lol.

Also, do you have any suggestion of other uppers out there that I may have interest in?

I was looking at this one from Bravo Company USA:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-VLTOR-VIS-p/bcm-urg-16md%20std%20vis12.htm

Thanks,

SG

ssracer
04-26-11, 18:25
You really can't go wrong with BCM....much better choice

Space Ghost
04-26-11, 18:31
Thanks for the reply ssracer,

I'll have to save up few more bucks then originally planned though, lol. Since it doesn't come with a Bolt carrier nor a Charging handle.

polymorpheous
04-26-11, 18:36
If you are new to the AR, then may I suggest forgoing the railed handguards.
Go with iron sights and standard hanguards.
MOE handguards if you intend to mount a light.

Keep it simple right now, and learn what will work best for you.
That way you're not blowing all this cash on gear.

HaydenB
04-26-11, 18:53
Just wondering, is there something bad about piston systems that I don't know about or are they just a waste of money for how expensive they are, lol.

There is a ton of info on this site for that question. But simply put: they are heavier, have more felt recoil, and are often less reliable than a good quality DI (direct impingement) upper.
Here (https://docs.google.com/View?id=drnhb8z_242g54n2jfd) is a good link.

Also, do you have any suggestion of other uppers out there that I may have interest in?

I would take a good look at the offerings from Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, Noveske.

Space Ghost
04-26-11, 20:47
If you are new to the AR, then may I suggest forgoing the railed handguards.
Go with iron sights and standard hanguards.
MOE handguards if you intend to mount a light.

Keep it simple right now, and learn what will work best for you.
That way you're not blowing all this cash on gear.

Thanks Plymorpheous, I will definitely look into it.

Hayden: Thanks for the link bro.

HaydenB
04-27-11, 02:22
Hayden: Thanks for the link bro.

No sweat man ;) . Just passing along the great info that this site (and rob s) provides. You should definitely keep reading on M4C; its pretty much awesome. :D

wetidlerjr
04-27-11, 13:29
2) They are a no name company. Would you buy a car from a company the no one has ever heard of?

They are not exactly a "no name" company having been in the AR piston business for some time with a very good rep among the piston crowd.

You still have two reasons. :D

Pax
04-27-11, 14:11
They are not exactly a "no name" company having been in the AR piston business for some time with a very good rep among the piston crowd.

You still have two reasons. :D

+1, while I won't advocate the use of any piston system, Adams Arms has been one of the best in the business for a while and I have had nothing but good experiences with their system.

If you are worried about any lack of MP inspection and HP testing on the barrels, you can always assemble a rifle with parts you know to be HP tested and MP inspected and an Adams Arms retrofit kit instead of a complete AA upper, although as I said I'd also avoid a piston AR to begin with.

wetidlerjr
04-27-11, 15:13
+1, while I won't advocate the use of any piston system, Adams Arms has been one of the best in the business for a while and I have had nothing but good experiences with their system.
If you are worried about any lack of MP inspection and HP testing on the barrels, you can always assemble a rifle with parts you know to be HP tested and MP inspected and an Adams Arms retrofit kit instead of a complete AA upper, although as I said I'd also avoid a piston AR to begin with.

I have an Adams Arms conversion on a BM 16" HB upper that has been flawless from day one. It does have the SS Melonited BC, though which is a plus.
Also, I have two DI ARs and a TS 22LR AR upper as I like diversity. :D