PDA

View Full Version : SGL21 - Did I go to far?

Fuzzy-Reticle
04-26-11, 18:05
My SGL21 as of today. Did I go to far? I think maybe I might have added too many gadgets.

**Edit** One reason I went this direction with it is because I am a lefty. Mounting a sling on an AK for a lefty is a pain. The Ace thingymajig allows for a sling mount on the "right" side of the rifle and the Midwest handguard allows for the same thing while allowing me to mount a red dot.

Changes:
US Palm Grip
Midwest Industries handgaurd
Burris Fast Fire
Ace Stock (folding mechanism on back order)
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/SGL21.jpg

scottryan
04-26-11, 18:42
Did I go to far?

I would have bought a SLR107 instead as it would of had a factory folding stock. I also would use an ultimak rail instead of the MI rail.

TOrrock
04-26-11, 18:49
I also would have tried to find a SLR-107F, and to minimize weight and bulk, would have gone with an Ultimak gas tube rail.

I truly believe the Aimpoint Micro is a better choice of optic, but let us know how the Burris works for you.

*Edited to add, not crapping on your carbine, just laying out how I would do it. These things tend to evolve over time.

I'd throw a decent light on there, get out and put some rounds down range.*

glocktogo
04-26-11, 18:52
Optics on an AK just don't do it for me, but that's a personal choice. I think you could add a light and still be ok. Anything more than that would be too much.

Fuzzy-Reticle
04-26-11, 19:10
The SLR-107F was not in stock the day I purchased this. The owner of the shop is a good friend and I got a deal on the rifle. He has a 106UR SBR in stock and I might just have to buy it since I think the SBR variety is a little on the rare side. I may have to check with my accountant (wife) before making that purchase.

I am starting to think I went overboard. I am leaning towards installing a WARSAW Pact length butstock and try the Ultimak.

I am picking up a Draco C later this week and will probably move the Ace stock (once paperwork comes back of course) onto it along with the Midwest handgaurd and return the SGL21 back closer to stock less the Ultimak and grip.

So far I like the Burris. I have not shot it yet but I like how it lines up and comes up on target when I shoulder the rifle. If it will hold up to the abuse it might be a winner.

opmike
04-26-11, 21:01
I'm not sure what you're asking.

Did you install something on the rifle that you feel you won't be getting any use out of? Are you wishing that you went with a more traditional setup? What's your intended use for this rifle?

Actually send some rounds downrange, get to "know" your rifle, and then I think this type of question will answer itself.

BaronFitz
04-26-11, 21:59
I too will be interested to know how the Burris holds up once the gas tube gets hot. I don't know if the MI rail has any isolation from the gas tube or not, but I've *heard* that mounting optics like that on an AK tends to cook most optics other than the Aimpoint micro series.

SteyrAUG
04-27-11, 01:26
I am starting to think I went overboard. I am leaning towards installing a WARSAW Pact length butstock and try the Ultimak.

That is what I'd do.

Moose-Knuckle
04-27-11, 03:28
Depends on your wants/needs. Folders are more expensive if you can find one. I never liked the Ace route as their stock receiver extensions pans out through time and space unless you opt for the internal receiver block which would entail permanently altering the receiver by removing the tang.

Warsaw length is the way to go for standard stock AK's.

scottryan
04-27-11, 10:45
The SGL21 is the basic AK for people that want a basic AK.

If you want a folding stock, you need to get an SLR107/106 or a SGL31

Zhurdan
04-27-11, 12:47
One aftermarket part that I've gotten the most practical use out of has been a Krebs safety lever VI (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=137198&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Gun%20Parts%20-%20Rifle%20-%20%28Aftermarket%29-_-PriceCompListing-_-137198). Midway sells them, they are easy to install and they work damn well better than having to move your hand from the fire controls to unsafe. I have one on all three of my AK's.

helothar
04-27-11, 13:54
One aftermarket part that I've gotten the most practical use out of has been a Krebs safety lever VI (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=137198&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Gun%20Parts%20-%20Rifle%20-%20%28Aftermarket%29-_-PriceCompListing-_-137198). Midway sells them, they are easy to install and they work damn well better than having to move your hand from the fire controls to unsafe. I have one on all three of my AK's.

I need to pick one of these up! Is $45 the going rate nowadays?

Zhurdan
04-27-11, 14:09
I need to pick one of these up! Is $45 the going rate nowadays?

Seems so. I ordered two from Midway a while back (only because I had a $25 gift certificate) and they were the solid one piece versions, not the riveted variety they show on their site. It had the riveted version pictured, but I'm happy I got the one piece units.

I've had one on my Krink build for a long time and since it worked so well on that one, I thought, why the hell not for the other two? I shoot them all more now that they have the Kreb's levers.

texasyid
04-27-11, 19:58
Not my cup of tea but really it looks kind of nice. You did well.

bryan1211
04-28-11, 00:52
I would keep it 99% how it sit's now. Just get the MI burris top mount, and flash light.

titsonritz
04-28-11, 21:46
I would keep it 99% how it sit's now. Just get the MI burris top mount, and flash light.

Are you talking about the MI / US P.A.L.M. Topcover?
http://jabtac.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_6&products_id=813