PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: 14.5" BCM Middy

Parky
04-26-11, 19:53
Hi Folks,

I've been able to fire 800 rounds through my BCM build so far, and I have still yet to have a malfunction of any kind. I am more impressed with the rifle every time I take it out. I've been working up a handload for it, and after a little experimenting, I've settled on a 55gr V-max bullet, and 22.5gr of H322. I've yet to chrono this load, but will do so soon and report back. I've fitted the rifle with a CompM 3moa RDS that I refurbished and mounted up in the ADM absolute co-witness mount. Really happy with that as well. After some sighting in, I was able to stack the last 23 shots into the 3" center circle at 100 yards. Considering the 3moa red dot, I couldn't be more pleased. The rifle stayed very clean, the load really works well. I can't wait to mount up a scope and see what this puppy will do!

http://www.aaronmacomber.com/photos/i-PRnqSdX/0/XL/i-PRnqSdX-XL.jpg

Speed Racer
04-26-11, 20:14
Sweet rifle. Thanks for sharing. Just got the EAG upper from BCM, but your configuration will be my next one ....

shootist~
04-26-11, 23:17
Nice shooting and a very good group for the number of rounds fired. Thanks for the report - the 55 VMax is on my list to try out.

west996
04-27-11, 11:21
Can't go wrong with BCM. My 14.5" middies has about 1200 rounds with zero malfunctions.

rob_s
04-27-11, 11:30
I like these kinds of posts. Good information (total round count, number of malfs, group size, number of shots, distance, number of repetitions, etc.) and not a lot of extraneous nonsense.

Isn't the Aimpoint either a 2 MOA or a 4 though?

Parky
04-27-11, 13:21
I like these kinds of posts. Good information (total round count, number of malfs, group size, number of shots, distance, number of repetitions, etc.) and not a lot of extraneous nonsense.

Isn't the Aimpoint either a 2 MOA or a 4 though?

Thank you, This is an older Aimpoint, the Predecessor to the CompM2, the CompM. It was available in a 3, 7, or 10 MOA dot. Mine is a 3moa model.

C4IGrant
04-27-11, 13:22
Very nice!

C4

HaydenB
04-27-11, 14:49
Nice little write-up; I also enjoy these threads very much. Man, that thing must recoil like an air gun with that combo of a 14.5" middy with a PWS comp. Not to mention 55 grain bullets! :D What buffer are you using?

Parky
04-27-11, 18:13
Nice little write-up; I also enjoy these threads very much. Man, that thing must recoil like an air gun with that combo of a 14.5" middy with a PWS comp. Not to mention 55 grain bullets! :D What buffer are you using?

It does recoil VERY softly, I am running an H buffer. I was shooting with a buddy last week, and he shoots a standard carbine with a standard carbine buffer. I let him shoot mine, and after the first shot he just looked at me and said, "What the hell??" :lol:

Parky
04-27-11, 18:14
Very nice!

C4

Thanks! That's the lower I bought from you!

bmyk
04-27-11, 20:52
It does recoil VERY softly, I am running an H buffer. I was shooting with a buddy last week, and he shoots a standard carbine with a standard carbine buffer. I let him shoot mine, and after the first shot he just looked at me and said, "What the hell??" :lol:

Same results from 16" BCM mid w/ VLTOR A5 stock. Like shooting a .22LR. Great post, thanks.

Silver_2325
04-27-11, 21:00
Is that the BCM Recce 14.5? If so I have the same setup and have loved mine as well. So far I have shot ~800 rounds with no malfunctions and just as tight using an ACOG TA31. I just received my Micro T1 from UPS about an hour ago and will be taking it out this weekend a couple of days to burn another 500 rounds.

Parky
04-28-11, 07:18
Is that the BCM Recce 14.5? If so I have the same setup and have loved mine as well. So far I have shot ~800 rounds with no malfunctions and just as tight using an ACOG TA31. I just received my Micro T1 from UPS about an hour ago and will be taking it out this weekend a couple of days to burn another 500 rounds.

It is not, for all intents and purposes it is, but I wanted the DD lite rail instead of the Troy, and the CTR etc.. so I ordered everything in pieces rather than buy the off the shelf Recce, and then splash out for another rail and furniture.

Wilco
04-28-11, 15:56
Good lookin stick, thanks for the write up.

JDW67
04-28-11, 19:44
Nice write up for a nice rifle. :cool:

Silver_2325
04-28-11, 21:42
It is not, for all intents and purposes it is, but I wanted the DD lite rail instead of the Troy, and the CTR etc.. so I ordered everything in pieces rather than buy the off the shelf Recce, and then splash out for another rail and furniture.

Gotcha. I am going to swap the Troy out for a DD rail as well sometime this month. I may just go ahead and buy a complete upper with the DD rail.

warlord260
04-28-11, 23:15
Nice set-up. Is that gun sitting on a table, or the floor? The wood grain is so cool!

Parky
04-29-11, 08:01
Nice set-up. Is that gun sitting on a table, or the floor? The wood grain is so cool!

Thanks, thats my table, it's Sheesham wood

markm
04-29-11, 08:36

I've been running mine with an A2 FH after cutting off the PWS. It still runs smoother than hell... even on the standard flash hider.

Parky
04-29-11, 08:39
I've been running mine with an A2 FH after cutting off the PWS. It still runs smoother than hell... even on the standard flash hider.

Why did you cut off the PWS comp ??

markm
04-29-11, 08:41
Too loud. I'd never used a brake before and couldn't get used to it. It's not bad compared to some other brakes, but I just prefer a good old A2 flash hider on all my guns that don't have silencer mounts.

Parky
04-29-11, 08:50
Too loud. I'd never used a brake before and couldn't get used to it. It's not bad compared to some other brakes, but I just prefer a good old A2 flash hider on all my guns that don't have silencer mounts.

It is loud, I'll give you that. I just figure that's the sound of a compensator that is doing it's job. It really does work incredibly, I like to watch other people shoot my rifle, just so I can watch how steady the muzzle stays between shots.

rob_s
04-29-11, 09:09
If your goal is to shoot fast, you'd be hard-pressed to beat the 14.5" mid-length BCM with PWS FS556. I'm interested in sticking one of Vltor's A5 stocks on here to play with as well.

modified VTAC 1/2 and 1/2 drill (http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=MgvOMJan2d8&vq=medium)

markm
04-29-11, 09:15
It is loud, I'll give you that. I just figure that's the sound of a compensator that is doing it's job. It really does work incredibly, I like to watch other people shoot my rifle, just so I can watch how steady the muzzle stays between shots.

Check this one out. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKTZ6jZhupM

ReaperAZ
04-29-11, 09:39
Check this one out. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKTZ6jZhupM

Myth BUSTED!

If your goal is to shoot fast, you'd be hard-pressed to beat the 14.5" mid-length BCM with PWS FS556. I'm interested in sticking one of Vltor's A5 stocks on here to play with as well.

modified VTAC 1/2 and 1/2 drill (http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=MgvOMJan2d8&vq=medium)

The poor microphone on the camera couldn't even keep up with those last 10 rounds. Good stuff Rob. When you say modified I notice you don't move to the different positions as normal. I assume you are shooting at different sized targets to simulate the yardage difference?