PDA

View Full Version : Baby Glocks

caddishatch
04-26-11, 22:49
I am just curious what baby glock guys prefer?
What baby glock would you recommend for me based on my other glocks. I am thinking of carrying it mountain biking in a hip pack.

This is what I have:
3 Glock 19s
2 Glock 23s
1 Glock 20
1 Glock 34

I was thinking the 27 was the way to go.

Amicus
04-26-11, 22:54
G26 or G36. My preferences.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-26-11, 23:00
I have the 27 and like the gun, I am just not sure I like having an additional cartridge as that is the only 40 caliber gun I have.

SoulStealer
04-26-11, 23:00
For me its the G26.

caddishatch
04-26-11, 23:03
Where I mountain bike there are bears and mountain lions plus an occasional crazy idiot.

Magic_Salad0892
04-27-11, 00:04
G26..

jamaicanj
04-27-11, 00:04
G26 is my favorite glock

williejc
04-27-11, 00:19
Glk 26. You might consider a 33 rd happy stick, which can also serve as an ammo carrier or club, if needed.

AngeredKabar
04-27-11, 01:11
Got a decent price on a used 26. Took it apart and cleaned it. No problems so far and I'm very happy with it.

skyugo
04-27-11, 01:46
i like my glocks in metric cals.. 9 and 10.

my latest mountain bike carry setup is a raven phantom with a G19 on my regular wilderness tactical belt. just under a loose jersey. I do the full geeked out MTB thing with the spandex and camelback too.. no problem. it's roughly the same position i always carry it in, and it's not in a seperate pack so i'm less likely to fumble for it or be relieved of it by a thief. glocks are wonderfully sweat resistant...

if i were purchasing a specific mountaing biking gun i'd probably go with a glock 29. Compact, light, and 10mm is suitable for both man and beast. (don't shoot a grizzly)

I've never seen a bear in northern CO. back when i was in upstate NY (and not trusted with a handgun anyway....) i was rather concerned about bears as i tended to run into them 2-3 times a season. A 9mm for 2 legged predators and bear spray for bears might be good alternative to a 10mm.
44 mags are cool and all, but I'd feel better sweating all over and occasionally falling on a glock....

PlatoCATM
04-27-11, 05:40
I carry my G26 when mountain biking. Although I only have 9mm glocks. I typically wear spandex shorts under a pair of DCU cut-offs, so I'm able to use my standard gun belt and Looper holster. I don't like the idea of having a gun if it isn't on my person.

MCS
04-27-11, 06:42
I like my g27, but I also have a g22 to go with it.

M4arc
04-27-11, 07:36
I carry the G26 a lot, probably slightly more than my G19, and I love the little bugger! I shoot it extremely well and I don't feel outgunned carrying it over the 15+1 round G19.

I don't own a G27 but I've shot them enough to know they aren't bad...not nearly as bad as the internet makes them out to be. I think they're pretty smooth for a 40 S&W of that size.

Chameleox
04-27-11, 07:44
I don't own a G27 but I've shot them enough to know they aren't bad...not nearly as bad as the internet makes them out to be. I think they're pretty smooth for a 40 S&W of that size.

They're snappy little guys, but still very controllable in rapid strings and one handed.
I carry my G27 out hiking and mountain biking. Unlike the OP, I'm not worrying about bears and mountain lions.

I have no experience with the G29, but would that be a consideration, since you already own a G20?

markm
04-27-11, 08:17
"BABY GLOCKS"????

Is this an ARFcom thread? :rolleyes:

Amicus
04-27-11, 08:34
"BABY GLOCKS"????

Is this an ARFcom thread? :rolleyes:

Nope. It's Glock's website's reference to the G26:

http://www.glock.com/english/glock26.htm

Alaskapopo
04-27-11, 09:02
I am just curious what baby glock guys prefer?
What baby glock would you recommend for me based on my other glocks. I am thinking of carrying it mountain biking in a hip pack.

This is what I have:
3 Glock 19s
2 Glock 23s
1 Glock 20
1 Glock 34

I was thinking the 27 was the way to go.

My 26 has been absolutely dependable and its as easy to fire as a full size in my opinion. In the past I tried the 27 and the 33 and neither worked 100% for me.
Pat

Beat Trash
04-27-11, 10:37
Of the three threats the OP listed, I'd be most worried about the two legged variety. I'd go with the Glock 26.

My Glock 26 was my first Glock, bought it about two years after they first came out. I've done borderline stupid things to it to try to get it to malfunction. It refuses to do so.

709bubblehead
04-27-11, 11:06
I'm actually coming back to Glocks now after a few years away from them. I previously owned 2 G23's. I shot them well and never had a single malfunction with either one of them. One got stolen while I was deployed and I sold the other a few years after buying it and I've been regretting it lately. I'm actually looking at buying myself a G26 for my birthday and seeing all the positive replies here just acts to reinforce my decision...

ST911
04-27-11, 12:36
G27, because the boss provides the ammo. G26, when it's on my nickel. I have little use for 40s.

Spurholder
04-27-11, 13:07
I carry the G26 a lot, probably slightly more than my G19, and I love the little bugger! I shoot it extremely well and I don't feel outgunned carrying it over the 15+1 round G19.

I owned a G23 before buying a G27. Looking back to when I was shooting the .40's, I'd swear that the smaller gun was a little more pleasing to shoot.

OP, if you need a push, consider this to be it - go with the G26 with confidence.

Drew78
04-27-11, 15:10
years ago I standardized on 9mm Glocks. All I have left are a few 19's and 26's.

The 26 gets the nod for EDC about 90% of the time. I shoot it as good if not better than the 19 and it is a "tad" easier to conceal on my frame.

-Drew

davidjinks
04-27-11, 16:28
I've been going through the caliber/gun change thing for a little while now.

The one gun/maker I continue to return to is Glock. As for caliber...9MM is the caliber I have stuck with.

I have owned the 26, 27, 33 and the 36. By far the best one I have used/shot/carried has been the 26.

Very fast, reliable, concealable and the ammo prices give you a better chance at more range time. I know cost shouldn't be the end all be all, but for me, if I can save some scratch, I'm happy.

As soon as I get my other Glocks in, I will be buying another 26.

That's the gun I would go with...Glock 26.

tomme boy
04-27-11, 21:55
I carry the 26 in the summer as well. I also use the 19 mags with a grip filler on the mag to make it feel like a 19. I like the shorter barrel with how the 19 grip feels. It balances very well. And it helps a little with the accracy too. It shoots exactly where aimed with the 19 mags. With the 26 mags it tends to shoot low left. I am not the only one that does this with the gun. Put the 19 in and it shoots center. And just remember you don't have to put 15 rds in the 19 mag. I still run mine with 10 rds. so the wieght is very close to the 10 rd mag. The 2 other mags have 15 each though.

What ever Glock you get it will be a good one.

caddishatch
04-27-11, 22:00
Thanks guys. I picked up an EXO 27 today. I will be shooting it this week. I love the finish of the EXO. I already have an EXO 19 and love it. I figured the 40 cal. was better for the types of outdoor activities I do.

titsonritz
04-27-11, 22:12
I'm with Skyugo, I have a Glock 19 9mm and a Glock 20 10mm. If I were to pick up a sub-compact Glock it would be a 29 followed by a 26. I had the 27, didn't care for it that much. Also had a 36, nice to carry gun but a liitle short on fire power.

IMO, for an outdoors gun you should look at a 29 or 29sf.

hatidua
04-27-11, 22:26
Where I mountain bike there are bears and mountain lions plus an occasional crazy idiot.

Get a 26.

Bears won't bother you.
Mountain lions would get you if they wanted before you even knew it.
Crazy idiots can be contained with the front forks of your bike.

DocGKR
04-27-11, 22:35
G19, then a G19 cut to accept G26 mags, then a G26.

Alaskapopo
04-27-11, 23:42
I carry the 26 in the summer as well. I also use the 19 mags with a grip filler on the mag to make it feel like a 19. I like the shorter barrel with how the 19 grip feels. It balances very well. And it helps a little with the accracy too. It shoots exactly where aimed with the 19 mags. With the 26 mags it tends to shoot low left. I am not the only one that does this with the gun. Put the 19 in and it shoots center. And just remember you don't have to put 15 rds in the 19 mag. I still run mine with 10 rds. so the wieght is very close to the 10 rd mag. The 2 other mags have 15 each though.

What ever Glock you get it will be a good one.

If you are right handed shooting low left is a trigger control issue. (flinching)
Pat

west996
04-28-11, 09:43
G19, then a G19 cut to accept G26 mags, then a G26.

I've been debating this a lot lately. Considering chopping my 19 down to fit the 26 mags. Think it would be an ideal carry gun.

awm14hp
04-28-11, 11:24
I have 26 and 27 love them both. They carry well when I cant carry my G19

ssracer
04-28-11, 11:27
I've been carrying a G27 for over a year in a crossbreed supertuck. Comfortable as can be and easily concealable. I have no problem controlling it even when using the flat plate magazine.

Dos Cylindros
04-28-11, 15:57
I vote G27, but that's because I am so dependant on the .40 S&W platform. My issue gun is a G22, I have used a G23 as my off duty for many years. I recenltly picked up a G27 to carry around during the summer. I had a G27 before but sold it off to my brother who wanted it for his tour in detectives. The only thing about the G27 is the short grip, as I find it makes it tougher to get a quick fighting grip out of the holster when compared to the G22 or the G23. If you use extention plates, you should just run a G23 as they are the same size at that point, and you have the added plus of more ammunition. I carry my G27 with the factory flat baseplate and don't find it hard to control at all.

Paul45
04-28-11, 16:48
BEARS! Small Glock! G29!

tomme boy
04-28-11, 19:00
If you are right handed shooting low left is a trigger control issue. (flinching)
Pat

I am left eye dominate, but shoot right handed. With the shorter grip, gun is rotating in my hand. I am actally pulling the gun down and to the left. With the fuller grip it does not do this. I can hold onto it better. I am not the only one with this problem. And it is not just a glock problem. More of a small grip problem.

Alaskapopo
04-28-11, 19:33
I am left eye dominate, but shoot right handed. With the shorter grip, gun is rotating in my hand. I am actally pulling the gun down and to the left. With the fuller grip it does not do this. I can hold onto it better. I am not the only one with this problem. And it is not just a glock problem. More of a small grip problem.

Ok so you are milking the grip. (squeezing your whole hand instead of just the trigger)
Pat

bubba04
04-28-11, 20:30
I installed a ny trigger in my g26 last night.... I am not sure I will be able to live with it's trigger Pull now. Do y'all just run stock sprig in your carry glock?

ssracer
04-28-11, 20:35
My G27 is bone stock. The only changes I have made are +2 extensions on two spare mags.

Alaskapopo
04-28-11, 20:39
I installed a ny trigger in my g26 last night.... I am not sure I will be able to live with it's trigger Pull now. Do y'all just run stock sprig in your carry glock?

The NY trigger and the Ny2 trigger are stupid in my opinion and just make it harder to shoot. I run a stock trigger in both of my guns and would run the 3.5 pound connector if I were not worried about liability.
Pat

skyugo
04-28-11, 20:47

the hot setup with the NY trigger is to use a glock (-) (4.5 lb) connector. This yields a 5.5 lb-ish trigger pull but is supposedly crisper and the NY springs last longer.

Personally i just use the stock trigger.

jb7304
04-29-11, 14:10
I prefer the Glock 26.

askani79705
04-30-11, 07:28
Glock 26.

ptmccain
04-30-11, 08:01
Glock 26

decodeddiesel
04-30-11, 09:40
Thanks guys. I picked up an EXO 27 today. I will be shooting it this week. I love the finish of the EXO. I already have an EXO 19 and love it. I figured the 40 cal. was better for the types of outdoor activities I do.

How would you figure that? I hope that you realize that from a terminal ballistics standpoint there is virtually no different between the effectiveness of 9mm and a .40.

Neither would be suitable against a bear of any sort, or a moose (which I would be more afraid of than a bear personally). Both would be effective against a catamount or a person.

I am glad you found a pistol you are happy with though, enjoy it!

JHC
04-30-11, 12:06
How would you figure that? I hope that you realize that from a terminal ballistics standpoint there is virtually no different between the effectiveness of 9mm and a .40.

Neither would be suitable against a bear of any sort, or a moose (which I would be more afraid of than a bear personally). Both would be effective against a catamount or a person.

I am glad you found a pistol you are happy with though, enjoy it!

Not entirely so. Just as the .40 provides superior barrier penetration in LE tests, it should offer a little more barrier leeway popping the brain pan of a bear. As the AK State Troopers found in their testing, service autos will penetrate to the brain when hit right, and hand cannons will likely glance if hit wrong. It's a last ditch backup for then the larger guns weren't on hand. Better than a sharp stick.

RWBlue
04-30-11, 13:19
I would suggest picking a cartridge or two and sticking with them.

I like 9mm and 45ACP/Super. So I have G26, G19, G17 and G21s.

As far as pocket carry, I want something smaller.

ptmccain
04-30-11, 13:30
That's some darn fine advice.

I know how the 9mm and 45 ACP debates rage.
I know how the 1911 v. "anything else" debates rage.

I solved them, once and for all, for myself.

I love my Glock 9mms, I have a 17 and a 26 and no doubt will eventually have a 17 and 34.

I have a 1911.

I love them all and use them all.

I like how I can use my 9mm mags in my Glock 26, the 17 mags and my "assault clip" 33 rounders.

But...and I'll say this only very quietly...my Springfield 1911 Loaded is my favorite handgun. Oh. My. Gosh. It is a nail driver.

So, my advice is, get yourself into the Glock 9mm family and enjoy.

Get a 1911 and enjoy 45 ACP the way St. John Moses Browning intended it to be enjoyed.