PDA

View Full Version : scopes

k5man
04-27-11, 04:41
I will start this out by saying, I am new to "precision" shooting. I have been hunting and shooting my whole life. I have a room full of guns. This is my first stab at putting small groups on paper out past 400 yds. Based on how my other rifles shoot, I went with a Savage 110 BA. I chose the .338 Lapua, because it is something I do not have. I wanted something to reach out a little better than my .300 WM. When I ordered the rifle, I was told it would take 6 months. Well, it didn't and is here now. I have done some looking, but didn't really find what I was looking for. I have found answers to other questions here, and hoped you guys could help save me some time and money. I plan to start out with factory loads in 300gr. and zero at 300yrds. With time and some learning about loading this round, I want to be able to work out to 1000 yds. maybe more. I do not plan on any competitions. I just want to set this thing on my table and be consistent. I want to get everything I can from this gun, in terms of being accurate.

Suwannee Tim
04-27-11, 05:00
What's the question?

CC556
04-27-11, 09:47
So you bought a Savage in .338LM and you want to use it in a benchrest fashion to poke holes in paper at 400 (and maybe up to 1000) yards, and now you're looking for a scope recommendation?

orkan
04-27-11, 11:38
I want to get everything I can from this gun, in terms of being accurate.

If that is the case, then your question should be less about optics, and more about precision handloading.

If for a tactical style role... then mil/mil/ffp or moa/moa/ffp optic of your choice.

If for paper punching at set distances in a controlled environment... then nightforce benchrest.

carbinero
04-27-11, 14:19
I think Vortex is worth checking out as well.

Alpha Sierra
04-27-11, 19:11
338 Lapua Magnum for shots beyond 400 yards?

LOL.... this thread is amusing.

Alpha Sierra
04-27-11, 19:27
I do not plan on any competitions.

That just doesn't sound surprising at all

k5man
04-27-11, 23:59
That is where I am having trouble with the search. I am not a sniper, and do not intend to come on here and pretend. I do not think that I will always be shooting from the same location at a fixed distance. I use a mil dot scope for killing coyotes. The Burris I have on my .204 works well for that gun, but I do not think it would be good enough for the .338 lapua. I have read some claims, but do not know just what I will be able to do with this rifle yet. I also do not want to buy a scope to find out that it was a waste, and have to get e better one later. I was just looking for input from someone that has experience with either this round, or even this rifle. I do not want the optics to be what holds me back. I do not want luck shots, I want repeatable shots.
thanks to those of you that are trying to help.

tuck
04-28-11, 00:07
IMO, you bought way too much rifle for the ranges you want to shoot... but thats not the point.

Start here http://www.snipercentral.com/scopereviews.htm and do lots of reading.

k5man
04-28-11, 05:31
I usually do not spend much time at a range. I have 500 acres that i do the majority of my shooting on. The local ranges are too picky about hi cap mags,and I have a few carbines I like to shoot. So I cleaned out a long section. I can extend it to as far as i need. I just have to push back the berm. This is why I want to ask somebody for advise. I bought a bunch of crap AR's before I figured out that a big name does not always mean quality. Thanks a ton, and now I am off to do some reading.

DMR
04-28-11, 08:37
I'm cutting my throat on this because I was going to pick it up, but:

NF NXS 3.5-15x HS/ZS, NF ultralite rings **Reduced** (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79238)

If I had the cash on hand this would be going on my new WM. The F1scope he replaced it with would be my next choice up in price.

Plenty of quality scope for what you are looking at. It's not First Focal, but for the discription of your shooting it does not sound like it will be an issue. Get yourself a Laser range finder and call it good.

Also I agree it sounds like to much rifle. I personaly could not afford to feed it. My growing collection of .300WM's is hard enough.

40Arpent
04-28-11, 08:40
Schmidt & Bender 5-25X56mm.

/thread

:)

orkan
04-28-11, 11:02
Premier 5-25x56.