PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR 556

k5man
04-27-11, 04:54
I just won one of these in a raffle. I do not know much about them, and was wondering how good of a rifle I got for $50. I have bought some crap in the past, so I know that quality has a pretty wide range on AR type rifles. I was just looking for input by somebody that has spent some time with one of these. Should i give it to one of my kids, or sell it, or do I actually have something worth working with? I tried to find it on your chart, but am unable to find the chart.

Quiet-Matt
04-27-11, 05:07
k5man,
Use the orange search button at the top of the page and you'll find several threads about it. But, no matter what you decide to do with it, for $50 you're a winner.

k5man
04-27-11, 05:14
about 3 min. after i posted I was able to find what I was looking for. I usually just come on and scan the threads. I do not post much.

DirtDiver
05-24-11, 02:45
I have an SR-556 and I've put a ton of rounds through it. I absolutely love it, it's a great tool. So yes, you did extremely well for $50.

Tokarev
05-24-11, 06:56
Please see here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79663

fireblast713
05-25-11, 23:37
dude for $50 I can't think of any AR that's not worth it, much less a pistoned one like the SR556

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-26-11, 00:06
For $50 you made out like a bandit! Keep it and shoot the shit out of it or sell it and buy something that suits your needs.

uwe1
05-26-11, 00:33
I would sell it as NIB and purchase something better and more reliable.

soapboxpreacherman
05-26-11, 00:56
This is actually a pretty reliable platform. Gas regulator is done right and overall very solid. It comes dressed out well. Good grip, decent rail, great sights, good mags. If you have the newer designed carrier (a far more rounded end) you will have minimal carrier tilt. It does run clean. Trigger is average it is nose heavy but it is a piston so that is typical. I have an SR-556C and a KAC SR15E3. The SR is a picky eater whereas the 556C will eat junk food pretty well, just make sure you adjust the regulator. It will do wolf if you set the regulator on 3. I had a few round of wolf fte but that was because I had the rifle on a gas setting of 2. My PMC will cycle on 2 and pretty much everything else. Some of the nicer 5.56 ammo can be set on 1. 1 Makes the rifle smoother, ligher recoil. I put a CTR stock on mine and it is pretty nice! For you 50 bucks you did well! Are there better absolutely but 50 bucks is 50 bucks!

capncraigagain
05-26-11, 00:57
i bought one for $1450.00 and am very pleased with it. Great weapon, great accuracy, great durability. From what I've learned, there aren't many better, especially for $50.00!

Take it to the range and punch some holes. Then decide if you want to get rid of it.

Congratulations, by the way.

k5man
05-26-11, 03:14
I have been shooting it some. I have put about 500 rounds through it. It looks neat, but so far I am not very impressed. It has some good parts, but I would not pay full price for one. I have not made any changes to it because I was not sure if I would keep it. It is a decent gun for taking to the range and punching paper. Maybe it will grow on me, but it shouldn't have to. When you pick one up and shoot it, you should love it....and I do not.

badness
05-26-11, 14:37
you shoulda done what the other guy said and sold it as new. Then you coulda gotten a DD or BCM complete rifle configured just the way you wanted!

ucrt
05-26-11, 22:06
I have been shooting it some. I have put about 500 rounds through it. It looks neat, but so far I am not very impressed. It has some good parts, but I would not pay full price for one. I have not made any changes to it because I was not sure if I would keep it. It is a decent gun for taking to the range and punching paper. Maybe it will grow on me, but it shouldn't have to. When you pick one up and shoot it, you should love it....and I do not.

=======================================

I'd clean it up, sell as used to some "unaware" at a gun show, keep the money to buy a BCM, DD, etc. and save it unfired for your kid.

But maybe it's just me...

k5man
05-27-11, 07:29
I have a couple of "good" ones that I trust and like to shoot. I just wanted to try a piston setup to see if it was worth the money. I have given the ruger to my daughter. All she does, and will ever do, is kill paper with it. I have tried a few different things, and this one was not for me. Every gun has its place. Now I know where the ruger's place is without having to pay (what I think is) a hefty price tag for what it is. Here locally in Alaska, they are going for over $1500. Maybe this post will save someone some money.