PDA

View Full Version : EPIC TORNADO...10min. distance from my house!!!(Birmingham)

ALCOAR
04-27-11, 21:43
Holy smokes this thing was huge...still going on but somehow we have managed to avoid last night's and today's EPIC tornado's,,,I watched the 1.5mile wide Wedge from my back porch.

One of the most amazing thing's Ive witnessed...Nature is just awesome, wait til you guys see the footage of these tornado's in Bham and Tuscaloosa.

This is very close to what I witnessed and I was only 5 miles from where this footage was filmed at...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxWRS-aFBW8

Tuscaloosa footage...
http://www.cbs42.com/content/localnews/story/Tuscaloosa-tornado-caught-on-tape-wreaking-havoc/hsK7dFmlUku5YlvteTFy6A.cspx
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/Severe_Weather_110427_wg.jpg

jklaughrey
04-27-11, 21:54
Thank God my relations are in Quinton.

ALCOAR
04-27-11, 22:05
This thing went off like a nuke, unbelievable power...The scope of the tragedy will be simply heartbreaking and potentially record setting.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/286044899.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1303961436&Signature=SuVqADmILOthpquYh9SeZH9uKa0%3D
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/286042239.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1303961463&Signature=%2FfWcXhXPukls533nP%2FYEwT3wIks%3D
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/286005594.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1303961369&Signature=sfuTxDvFspg%2BaU%2FiHZnY511%2BEmc%3D

SteyrAUG
04-27-11, 22:05
I've been that close to them in Iowa, but not any nearly that big.

Best one I saw was three down at once (F2s) in an open field behind my buddies house.

HES
04-27-11, 22:08
What I know so far...

The main tornado (either an EF4 or EF5)was over a mile wide and was on the ground moving NE through Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Trussville, Odenville, and on up to GA

Tuscaloosa has been devastated. Reports of one hospital taking a glancing blow and one taking a direct hit. One shopping mall destroyed. Emergency crews unable to assess / access the University. Debris is being found up to 100 miles away

Birmingham, sketchy reports. UAB may have been hit. Most damage was to the west side of the city. The east side (Vestavia Hills, Hoover) seems to have missed being hit.

Trussville, Odenville, Oxford, Anniston and points beyond: Damage has occurred but few reports.

Tornado started from the Birmingham area, heased Se towards Talledega / Sylacauga / Lake Martin / Childersburg / Dadevill. Tornado hit Lake Martin and has wiped Dadeville off the face of the earth.

Tornado indications are over Rockville, AL at this momenht.

Hotel in Rome, GA has collapsed. Tornado then continued NE to Jasper, GA. Damage unknown. Tornado then turned N to Elijay, GA. Reports of damage but nothing concrete.

The president has just declared a disaster zone.

I have been following this storm all day and my Foreman and his wife and parents are in the Sylacauga EOC bunker. As I get reports I will try to keep this updated.

warpigM-4
04-27-11, 22:13
just missed my house my cousin lost his but he made it out alive it has been crazy today ,glad you are ok man

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-27-11, 22:25
Having been through a tornado before, I can say it is simply terrifying. God save those in need.

ALCOAR
04-27-11, 22:32
just missed my house my cousin lost his but he made it out alive it has been crazy today ,glad you are ok man

You to bro...53 dead in Alabama since this morning is what just got reported on ABC 33/40

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/IMG_4216-1.jpg
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/IMG_4217.jpg
Unreal...I swear I just saw a highschool friend on TV/ABC news who help 3 workers out of a collasped gas station store...un-freaking-real!

warpigM-4
04-27-11, 23:00
My Daughter Lives in cullman with her mom called me Minutes Before they got hit .I saw Live footage of the Tornado Hit Cullman and a House got sucked up into it my heart fell out .

I was freaking out! But then I got a call back from her to tell me she and her pet frog was ok!! I about cried hearing her voice.
scary thing about weather there is nothing you can do but hold on for the ride

ALCOAR
04-27-11, 23:11
I went to a dentist appt. this morning at 830am:eek:

That's really great to hear you and your's came out alright given your family's proximity to the actual path of destruction.

Not sure if your familiar w. the Double Oak mtn. area in Bham, but topography wise it's a geographic nightmare for a tornado to enter...and if it ever does, it's a nightmare for all those who are stuck in b/t those two Mtn's. Usually we can watch these monsters roll by like today...I watched that son of a bitch roll right across the bham skyline and didn't have a drop of rain touch me...craziness.

kartoffel
04-27-11, 23:30
Thoughts and prayers go out to you all. I'm sitting in Decatur with no power but fortunately no dmage either. Radio says it will be a day or so till lower comes back. Got food water and candles. Some locals were going to cOnvoy up to Tennessee to get hot meals and fuel for the locals LEOs and emergency workers, what a great idea.

Sit tight y'all. Alabama will pull through this one way or another.

NinjaMedic
04-28-11, 00:40
Its my understanding that 2 of FEMA's 28 Type 1 USAR (Urban Search and Rescue) Teams are spooling up to go out the door on this. TX TF-1 and CA TF-6 (Riverside, CA).

HES
04-28-11, 01:14
Ok so the NY Blizzard was on the news 24/7, tornadoes that destroy 1/3rd of the US and result in at least 75 deaths and injures hundreds only gets covered on the weather channel? But we can get all the coverage with want on Obama's birth certificate and the ****ing wedding in the UK!!!!!!!

Here is some video of the Tornado
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0FHTG9VETY&feature=player_embedded

Quiet-Matt
04-28-11, 05:15
Crazy stuff Trident. Sure makes you feel small and helpless. Hamilton County (Chattanooga) and surrounding counties, including my home of Ringgold, GA just across the line to the south were slammed yesterday. I watched the world fall apart in RedBank all day, and we were allowed to leave for home at 8pm. I drove through blinding rain/wind to get home as a tornado ripped through my home town of Ringgold just minutes ahead of me and killed 7 in my little town. I saw some horrible sights in the 26 hours that the storm lasted. Many miracles, people coming together to help one another, and then there was this one guy we cought beating the crap outa his car with a sledge hammer trying to make it look like a fallen tree did it. I would definately be helping with the search and rescue in Ringgold if it wasn't for my job where I'm required to report to my service area north of the Tennessee river from MontEagle to Spring City, TN. I'm a utility lineman and my entire service area was hit. The electric power board in Chattanooga alone is reporting 95,000 homes and buisnesses without power at this time. I'm going to miss my sleep number bed... but it'll sure be a good pay day. Prayers appreciated guys.

We have a friend in Tuscaloosa who was driving home and edged by this one. What a day, the death toll continues to rise in our small town.

Scoby
04-28-11, 05:15
Man those things are devistating. Went through one in '73 when I was 14 years old. Thought I was gonna die. Three people did.

Glad you're okay Trident.

My thoughts are with the families of the 53 that lost there lives.

jwfuhrman
04-28-11, 06:10
Just glad everyone on here who is within the "strike zone" is alright. We get tornado's around here, but the last one to hit in Decatur, IN was only a F2. Van Wert, Ohio which is 15 miles from Decatur, IN literally must be a tornado magnet. If a storm rolls thru and produces a Tornado, it normally doesnt touch down until its across the state line. Van Wert has been smacked recently by an F4 about 6 years ago, and just a ton of F2's since, at least one a year.

That footage you posted Trident is just INSANE

Mr. Goodtimes
04-28-11, 10:13
Whats up with all these tornadoes lately? It seems like there are a lot more and bigger ones, in places that don't usually have them.

chadbag
04-28-11, 11:23
Whats up with all these tornadoes lately? It seems like there are a lot more and bigger ones, in places that don't usually have them.

One thing I heard or read a few weeks ago had to do with the sun activity. It impacts the earths magnetic field which in turn impacts the weather.

Don't know the truth or details. It was a few weeks ago and I forgot where I read it or heard it. But it is a place to start researching.

mtdawg169
04-28-11, 11:38
I was up until 2AM waiting out the storm while the wife & 18 mo. old slept. Had to get them up and rush across the street to the neighbors basement around 12:45AM because we had one touch down about 10 miles away. It was heading straight for us, but ended up skipping over into the neighboring county. I had shredded vinyl siding, shingles and insulation all over the yard this morning. Still not sure if one hit nearby or if it was carried from further away. Tornadoes in the middle of the night really suck. You never know if or where they will land.

The one that tore through Tuscaloosa & Bham went North of ATL into Rome & Ringgold, GA. Those folks had a rough night. Praying for all of those who have been affected.

ALCOAR
04-28-11, 14:11
Glad all those from M4C thus far have escaped total tragedy as the death toll from the MONSTER ever climbs.

Epic, Epic storm...hopefully never see another like this one in my lifetime!

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-28-11, 15:02
Glad all those from M4C thus far have escaped total tragedy as the death toll from the MONSTER ever climbs.

Epic, Epic storm...hopefully never see another like this one in my lifetime!

One of the few times that the word 'epic' has been correctly used on an Internet forum.

One thing I heard or read a few weeks ago had to do with the sun activity. It impacts the earths magnetic field which in turn impacts the weather.

Don't know the truth or details. It was a few weeks ago and I forgot where I read it or heard it. But it is a place to start researching.

I think it may be more of a El Nino/La Nina thing. With Texas dry and we are dry on this side of the colorado, but the mountains like around Vail had record snow. I think we are in a pretty good LaNina right now?

The sun spot thing definitely shows how little we know about the things that can drive the climate and weather.

Prayers out to everyone affected.

theblackknight
04-28-11, 16:22
http://www.kyledefoor.com/2011/04/alabama.html#comments

uwe1
04-28-11, 16:48
One of the few times that the word 'epic' has been correctly used on an Internet forum.

I think it may be more of a El Nino/La Nina thing. With Texas dry and we are dry on this side of the colorado, but the mountains like around Vail had record snow. I think we are in a pretty good LaNina right now?

The sun spot thing definitely shows how little we know about the things that can drive the climate and weather.

Prayers out to everyone affected.

It's Global Warming!!!! :laugh:

ALCOAR
04-28-11, 19:03
As of now...7pm 4/28

285 Dead

1,000,000 w/o power

A record number of 150 tornadoes reported.....

The statistics are going to be sheer mind blowing!

eta...WOW, Reed Timmer got this monster on film

Mr. Goodtimes
04-28-11, 20:29
It's going to be interesting to see what the hurricane season in the Gulf Coast turns out to be like. The "experts" are saying this should be an active one with a few storms making land fall.

warpigM-4
04-28-11, 22:00
I live in Pinson and was rolling through Birmingham about 15 min before the Monster Hit .
I went to Cullman today to pick up my Daughter ,Her mom thought is was best for her to stay with me .
they don't expect to have Power for over a week and the water station is off line.It was unbelievable the damage,My Ex wifes' house was struck in the back with a Tree . her husbands Car was under the other Part.

My Cousin home was completely Smashed, he laid in the bathtub and that saved him .
I talked to him today and one of the first things he said was "I found My Weapons ":sarcastic: His Ar-15 Is safe :laugh:

ALCOAR
04-29-11, 14:12
Check out this link....very interesting read and video to illustrate

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/sideways-tornado-video-110428-1454/

kartoffel
04-29-11, 19:09
AT&T cell network just came back up. No power here. Took a trip to the Shoals to get batteries, dog food, fuel, etc for some neighbors and it wasn't too crazy. Rural is good. I fear Huntsville or Birmingham might be a little more Katrina or Mad-Max right now. Basically were just camping at the house. Weather is gorgeous. Feel very lucky to have been spared.

usmcvet
04-30-11, 08:49
The storm damage makes me think of the Lee Greenwood song God Bless the USA. The song is special to me on several levels. When I was a 18 year old kid it was pretty popular. I remember being drunk at the beer garden at Camp Lejeune singing it with my buddies the night before we flew to Saudi in December of '90.

It was also the song we chose for our police academy graduation. Now as a husband and father of three small children it rings especially true.

HES
05-01-11, 00:11
Guys, if you are going to donate, please do it. Remember these folks need our help to get them through more than just this weekend. I don't know, maybe I'm missing it, but it seems that when there is a disaster over seas the fundraising drives are all over the place. But it seems to me that same effort at helping our own citizens is just not there.

Having said that our scout troop and pack will be doing a collection drive Monday and Tuesday and then a run up to the Birmingham / Tuscaloosa area to drop them off on Wednesday. I'm still working on finding a reception point that will enable me to NOT add to the confusion.