PDA

View Full Version : I made this for my 8 year old son...

USMC_0317_SS
04-27-11, 21:48
I wanted to come up with a way to begin training my son in the handeling of firearms. One day when I was at a gun show, in Yucca Vally, CA, I came across this LH Browning rifle stock and it gave me an idea. The guy selling it was shocked when I asked how much. He had to remind me like 5 times it was a LH stock, as to make sure I knew what I was getting into. When I told him what I wanted it for he just gave it to me and said that he wasn't ever going to sell it anyway and that it was going to a better cause...lol.
I bought the stock and on top I installed a 24" peice of 3/4" PVC pipe for a foux barrel (24" just like Dad's rifle at work ,the M40A3). I bent a 4" carrige bolt and attached it to resemble the bolt handle, in order to give it a more realistic look . The stock already had studs on it so, I put on a bipod, that I have had for years, along with a little red-dot sight and sling. I attached the sight to a picitinny rail that I mounted to the barrel before attaching it to the stock. We spray pained it camo and I painted the tip orange, as this rifle looks exteamly real. I put the whole thing together from misc. stuff I had aquired over the years.
When I take my son out shooting he brings this rifle. I have had him out a number of times and his firearm handeling has improved dramaticaly. When we go on walks to set up steel or other targets, he carries the fake rifle and I get to continually remind him not to point it at me, don't drag it on the ground, not to rest it against things vertically so it will fall over, holding it properly, carrying with a sling and all of the things associated with carrying a gun, It has realy worked well (and safely).
I realy only post this so others may utilize this idea and safely spread the knowledge and experience of firearms to their young, keeping the tradition of firearms alive for the next generation. You can make it as plain or as intricate as you want.

Respectfully,
USMC_0317_SS
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/225290_1671641163148_1600953909_31427440_3610070_n.jpg

SeriousStudent
04-27-11, 22:16
Pretty neat!

That's a great age to make sure they have good habits instilled. My daughter was shooting BB guns under supervision at that age. I really like how you put that together.

Now she's trying to decide between Marine MP or Coast Guard ME. She's a safe and accurate shooter - the years of training have paid off.

jared91
04-28-11, 19:12
awesome!

IWB
04-28-11, 19:12
That's a great idea. And well executed to boot. Some of the best childhood memories I have are going to the range with my dad. I'm sure your son will feel the same way.

Safetyhit
04-28-11, 19:33
Now that's a special gift you gave there. Maybe a little over-accessorized for a bolt action :D, but something he will likely remember always nonetheless.

Great thinking and a great job.

MarshallDodge
04-29-11, 10:04
That is a good idea.

There are a ton of takeoff Ruger 10/22 stocks out there if someone wanted to make one for their kids.

Smuckatelli
04-29-11, 11:02
Fellow hog brother...don't hate me....

Nice set up but not for me.

I debated with myself and my wife before I took the youngsters out to the range. I was completely against getting a BB gun, airsoft or any other type of training aid other than a working rifle.

I ended up getting a CZ 452 Scout and that is the only gear that I am teaching them weapons handling with. The bad thing is that they can only practice and learn when on the range or in the basement snapping in.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1469172294971.2063253.1403506178&l=82a60fd683

Suwannee Tim
05-02-11, 14:54
.75 caliber! Holy smoke! Good thing it ain't real! The recoil would be horrible!

aflin
05-02-11, 15:24
Major props man, teaching your son right from day one

IAmKalashnikov
05-10-11, 11:00
I must say...I think that's pretty awesome. I'm a new father. My son is almost 6 months old, and I just can't wait to start teaching him things. When I first started reading this post, for some reason I expected it to be something very ugly and not look anything like an actual gun, I was then very suprised when I saw the picture. Very nice job, man. I will remember this so one day I'll be doing the same thing for my son. Thanks alot, great idea.

Stump70
05-10-11, 13:28
You're a good Dad. Nice work.

black op
05-10-11, 14:36
Very nice and good thinking out of the box. I started my son at 4 with a Ruger 10/22 (with help from me). Definitely need to start them young on the principles of safety on all firearms. My son is 8 and I can hand him any firearm and he always handles them safely(finger off trigger, muzzle in a safe direction, and checks weapon to make sure it is unloaded). Also from that age starting teaching him the difference between a toy and the real thing.

Good job man!

Stay Safe

Bsully
05-10-11, 17:46
You're a good Dad. Nice work.
^^^+1

SoulStealer
05-14-11, 21:54
Great job...great idea...Im sure he carries it everywhere...

chavez_e_chavez
05-14-11, 21:57
that will be a great bonding experience!!!

popo198
05-30-11, 12:40
Outstanding!, The greatest memories I have of my dad are of us at the range. My little man will be 8 in a few months and he loves shooting his pellet gun in the backyard with me. He also has his own Rock River M4 I was able to get him for Christmas last year, but the pellet gun is WAY cheaper to shoot.

polymorpheous
05-30-11, 12:47
That's a really good idea!
Good work!

mrbfromd
07-25-11, 11:29
Great idea. I think this is a good way to teach a young future shooter how to handle and respect firearms without the risk of there being an accident. And it looks nice too.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-25-11, 12:58
Fellow hog brother...don't hate me....

Nice set up but not for me.

I debated with myself and my wife before I took the youngsters out to the range. I was completely against getting a BB gun, airsoft or any other type of training aid other than a working rifle.

I ended up getting a CZ 452 Scout and that is the only gear that I am teaching them weapons handling with. The bad thing is that they can only practice and learn when on the range or in the basement snapping in.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1469172294971.2063253.1403506178&l=82a60fd683

My son is a complete idiot with no concept of the kinetics involved with real firearms. I know what you mean about not wanting to dumb stuff down, but I need to smarten my kid up before we get to burning powder. I thought he was ready for maybe a 22, but we intro'd him to some nerf stuff, and he just has a hard time wrapping his head around muzzle discipline yet- must be a spatial thing that he'll pick up soon. That and he didn't believe me on the firearms rules till I showed him the start of a Magpul DVD. Kind of funny to see a six year old talk about "Travis" and "Chris".

The nice thing about the nerf stuff is that you could probably shoot someone in they eye and be OK. We only let him 'shoot' with us around. He can't shoot people and we make sure he follows the basic firearms rules.

The real payback was when he was five and I overheard him telling his three year old sister about muzzle discipline and trigger finger control. Both kids are really sensative to noise, so I'm holding off on real guns till they get a bit older or I get that suppressor ;)

gunfighter48
08-11-11, 19:47
I bought a 270 bolt action rifle for deer hunting back in the 70s. When I went to sight it in my 9 year old daughter wanted to come along. So I let her come with me.

After watching me get it sighted in, she asked if she could shoot it. I was not sure she could handle the recoil but figured I'd let her try one round. After showing her how to use the scope on the rifle, she put 3 shots into a quarter size group at 100 yards. She's been out shooting me ever since!!:D What's worse is she out shoots her husband, he's an E7 in the Army!!!!

4x4twenty6
08-11-11, 22:08
I love hearing all of this!
I was taught gun safety at a very young age and it has paid off.
My buddys 9 year old daughter would break down his old beretta 92 fast as a hell! She is a cool kid.

handlebar1980
08-31-11, 20:55
that is really cool

muzlblast
09-06-11, 23:04
I applaud your efforts. All children should be taught real firearm safety and handling, not the guns are bad crap that I see so may parents indoctrinating thier children with these days. Your little girl is lucky to have you for a daddy.

YZINGERR
10-12-11, 19:33
+1, very cool stuff indeed