PDA

View Full Version : AR Learning Experience

TXBob
04-28-11, 09:59
Some thoughts I learned as a new guy running an AR in competition the first time. Becuase it deals with general opertaion, i put it in the general forums.

1. The bolt release works both ways. Top part releases the bolt, pushing the bottom part locks the BCG back after you have cleared the weapon
1a. I'm a retard for not knowing this.

2. It has been stated elsewhere better, but for emphasis: PRACTICE YOUR MAG RELOADS.
2a. Further proof I am a retard: I put a magazine in, went to charge my rifle and the magazine fell out.

3. Benchrest/seated shooting and standing shooting are night and day different. That red dot moves all over the place. Most ranges I know require you to sit. There was not a single sitting position in the COF last night. Find a place where you can practice shooting standing.

4. Guys with NFA weapons aren't necessarily good. They have a fancy gun, but can shoot even worse than me.
4a. You're even more of a tool when you don't tape targets.

5. Yes speed counts, but the difference between 1st and 10th was accuracy. In fact, I had the slowest time in all 3 courses of fire, and yet places better than 25 competitors in 1 stage (our of 50) because I HIT EVERY TARGET CLEAN.
5a. The no-shoot target in the other stage was a collaborator, I'm sure of it.

6. As the match wore on, the light got pretty bad--it was very nice to be able to turn down my optic brightness. Shooting in low light was an experience as well.

7. Lower 1/3 co-witness with fixed sights: Didn't even see my irons when running. Red Dot+Target was all. I have a micro Aimpoint--even in that tiny sight, there was plenty of vision.

8. Very few failures--almost all were magazine related that I saw. 1 guy had a rifle that clearly was a problem child. My squad 14 guys had 0 failures. We had 1 bad AR (didn't catch the brand-busted mags, FTF, All sorts of stuff), 1 Bad Mini-14 (FTF--5-6 times, racked it and went on), 1 bad 22/rimfire that jammed and required extensive remedy.

jmlshooter
04-28-11, 10:12
Did you shoot the match at Elm Fork? If so, how did you like it?

I had been going over there, but we have twin infants, so my match shooting has been curtailed, if you will.

TXBob
04-28-11, 10:19
Yup, that was the one--it was very nice--a LOT of shooters. Very short distances though (still gave me trouble). I was expecting out to 100 or 200 yards, but most was under 25. With all the people we only got 3 stages, but still was a good time and things moved pretty quick.

For those of you wondering what we are talking about, this was a benefit fundraiser match for a fallen soldier in the Dallas Area. All match and range fees went to the family. Lots of new shooters came out.

markm
04-28-11, 10:36
5. Yes speed counts, but the difference between 1st and 10th was accuracy. In fact, I had the slowest time in all 3 courses of fire, and yet places better than 25 competitors in 1 stage (our of 50) because I HIT EVERY TARGET CLEAN.
5a. The no-shoot target in the other stage was a collaborator, I'm sure of it.

I went out to a "match" once and was amazed at some of the piss poor shooting at distance.

Not that this is indicative of every match or every shooter... but there are indeed some jokers out there who can't shoot for shit.:confused:

bullittmcqueen
04-28-11, 10:38
Nice writeup, looks like you had fun. I, like you, am just getting into carbine courses/comps. The two most important things I screwed up on and learned one of my first times were, performing a correct brass check and seating the mag properly after loading the chamber, and as you put it, accuracy over speed. At least when you are starting out. A mike is just a killer. You're better off taking your time and putting them in the A zone.

Good luck and good shooting.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-28-11, 10:58
Dang, to bad I missed it.

mikeahe
04-28-11, 15:27
Like they say, you can't miss fast enough to win! :big_boss:

Mike
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

DJ_Skinny
04-28-11, 16:00
How often do they run matches? I've been wanting to try one, and I like that range (kinda busy sometimes though).

strambo
04-28-11, 20:02
Good (and funny) post! Yes, take time to get your hits. Speed will come naturally with practice. Practice mag changes at home...and you can dry fire standing also on the same type targets at home since you can't stand and shoot at your ranges.

For a couple hundred, (if you really get into it) you could consider a good airsoft replica AR to practice with at home.