PDA

View Full Version : More practical for MOE storage?

HeliPilot
04-28-11, 13:27
I recently switched out my hogue grip for the Magpul MOE grip and was wondering which of these options is more practical for utilizing the storage space in the MOE.

#1: Buy the Magpul storage insert for an extra bolt and firing pin

or

#2: Buy the Samson-MFG field survivor
http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/product/FS-002.html

I know this is pure opinion but i'm open to suggestions.

Icculus
04-28-11, 13:30
Personally I would say modify on of the moe inserts to hold a small bottle of oil. Beyond that I would say go with option 1. As you noted though this is only my opinion :)

masakari
04-28-11, 18:06
I have a standard field survivor, and its a neat little tool. I haven't needed to use it yet, but if I ever do, its there.

triburst1
04-28-11, 18:48
I've got the CR123A core in my MOE and keep a spare bolt, cam pin and pins in a pocket on my chest rig. My EOTech and X300 both use the batteries and all batteries die. I could change them out in a few seconds so it makes sense to have instant access to them. It's much less likely that I'll have a bolt break and if it does it will require me to stop what I'm doing to break down the weapon.

magpul_556
04-28-11, 20:47
I just went through his whole debate and my solution was the standard moe end cap that is basically a flat cap that seals the cavity, not to be confused with the standard 5round miad core. The way I see it is why put a core in there to constrict space. I just used the standard cap because it gives you the most space. I fit a spare bolt, firing pin, a cr123, cr2032 for my aimpoint,a firing pin retaining pin, and a sight adjustment tool for my mbus II. My only concern was the rattle, but i actually dont have any. This was the most efficient way I found.

ra2bach
04-28-11, 23:34
I just went through his whole debate and my solution was the standard moe end cap that is basically a flat cap that seals the cavity, not to be confused with the standard 5round miad core. The way I see it is why put a core in there to constrict space. I just used the standard cap because it gives you the most space. I fit a spare bolt, firing pin, a cr123, cr2032 for my aimpoint,a firing pin retaining pin, and a sight adjustment tool for my mbus II. My only concern was the rattle, but i actually dont have any. This was the most efficient way I found.

you can add a squishy foam earplug or two if you ever have any rattles...

13MPG
04-28-11, 23:59
I also use the standard MOE end cap. As magpul 556 said it allows you to store a greater variety of stuff in the grip.

ucrt
04-29-11, 00:17

I used a pair of needlenose pliers and just pulled the standard rubber core out of the MOE Grip Cap. I might lose a little bit of waterproofness (I don't think it matters a whole lot) but I gain more room.

To eliminate rattles, I use a piece of 3/4" round urethane weatherstripping and just stuff a piece in the free space.
Ear plugs porbably aren't a bad idea because you could always just use them if you needed to.

glocktogo
04-29-11, 00:46
I keep a small bottle of lube and a small piece of t-shirt material for a rag in mine with the std MOE cap. The rag keeps the bottle in place and keeps the MOE cap from rattling. Oil and a cleaning cloth will do more for you than most anything else you can sick in there. :)

durus5995
04-29-11, 02:46
I keep all the adjustment wrentches for my various attachments in my MOE grip.

On a second note is anyone elses grip plug a real pain in the butt to remove?

rob_s
04-29-11, 04:33
I just take the cap out and throw it away when I install the grip.

For whatever reason the MOE cap has always been looser than the MIAD and after one of the caps fell out on it's own I figured out that I didn't want to be filling it up with something I might actually, you know, want. So I toss the cap to resist the temptation.

arizonaranchman
04-29-11, 09:13

I agree, just a hollow grip with flat trap door allows you maximum space to store things.

My pistol grip contains:

Firing Pin
FP retaining pin
Gas Rings
Ejector
Ejector Sping
Ejector Roll Pin
Extractor pin
Cam Pin
2 spare 2032 batteries for my T1
K-38 (in case I get hungry, lol)

I plan to add an extractor to this...

No rattles and it all fits into little plastic ziplocks to keep them clean and dry.