PDA

View Full Version : Any new feedback on S&W SD?

frozentundra
04-29-11, 00:38
I have been trying to read up on the S&W SD9 on this forum and others.
I would like to thank GKoenig for his review and pics from this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=57006

I am wondering if anybody has put some higher round counts through SD series guns yet, or maybe have links to more info. They seem to have been selling, but there is not a whole lot of feedback on the internet that I can find. I have read that some beta spring kits went out from Apex about a month ago, but that is about it.
Most people just seem to post stuff like "bought the gun, put 200 rounds through it, great gun" or "just a new sigma, I hate it"
I've read where one guy has about 2300 rounds through a SD40 with no problems, this is the most use I have heard about. I read another guy put 200 rounds through a SD9 and broke a firing pin.

I guess I should explain that I live in Wisconsin, where we have no CC, but it looks like that might possibly change in the current political climate. I am interested in buying a g19 size 9mm gun because it seems about the biggest gun I could conceal in warm weather and still be very good for around the house if CC falls through yet again.
I know I could just buy a g19, but I have a very tight budget and the glock would still have plastic sights that most people seem to consider junk. The price difference would go a long way toward a decent holster to practice carry around the house and ammo.
I am not new to shooting or handguns, but don't have much experience at all in handgun training for serious defensive use...I have always thought of a shotgun or rifle to fill this role.
Sorry for the long post... and thank you for reading.

skyugo
04-29-11, 01:46
you can pick up a police trade in glock for 350-400 bucks.

definitely a better option....

it's one of those things.. buy what you want the first time around, cause buying twice always costs more....

frozentundra
04-29-11, 01:58
I kind of live in the middle of nowhere. The last time I was at a gun shop they didn't even have 1 glock in the store. Also a used g19 seems to be a hard gun to find online. Lots of g22's.
If the SD's are reliable I think they might be a great gun for me...If I can learn to shoot good with the long trigger pull, other guns in the future, or Apex improved trigger should be cake. Maybe....

Hot Sauce
04-29-11, 02:42
you can pick up a police trade in glock for 350-400 bucks.

definitely a better option....

it's one of those things.. buy what you want the first time around, cause buying twice always costs more....

Where? If I saw a G19 for 350 I'd snatch that up, haven't seen it in quite a while.

Reagans Rascals
04-29-11, 03:11
I haven't put high round counts through it, but I would just like to say that I hope your state soon gets CC... I have never understood why those that are willing to legally go through the process of getting a legal permit to carry are denied the right... its not the people willing to legally do it they have to worry about.. and also.. I appreciate you as a person... I feel that is said so seldom these days.

and also.. this is me personally... not saying this is something you should do... I would carry anyways.. I would much rather argue an illegal gun charge in court than be dead... just me though

essentially a concealed carry permit is just a citizen stating that they will invoke the right to defend themselves if the situation arises... kind of like telling the principle when you are in 8th grade that if a bully bothers you, you are going to mess them up... just letting them know ahead of time

Lincoln7
04-29-11, 03:55
Nothing wrong with open carrying. (not in vehicles in WI, though)

I, too, recommend a used, higher quality firearm such as a Glock, M&P, etc. Would you rather have a new KIA or a used Corvette. They're about the same price...

kmrtnsn
04-29-11, 07:52
Apex parts will not fit in the SD series S&W's. Seriously, the Sigmas have an awful reputation. Avoid this pistol and get an M&P or a Glock. Look at Gunbroker.com. Living in the middle of nowhere in the age of the Internet is no excuse for a poor compromise.

frozentundra
04-29-11, 10:05
Apex parts will not fit in the SD series S&W's. Seriously, the Sigmas have an awful reputation. Avoid this pistol and get an M&P or a Glock. Look at Gunbroker.com. Living in the middle of nowhere in the age of the Internet is no excuse for a poor compromise.

Apex says they have made a spring kit for the SD :eek:, I was hoping they will have shot the gun a lot and comment on there experiences here, as they seem to have a presence on this forum. They must think the gun has some future if they have designed parts already.

Icculus
04-29-11, 11:41
Don't have any feedback on it and like you I haven't seen many reports on the SD's; just advertising.

I guess what I don't understand is what role the SD fills? What does it offer that the M&P doesn't and why would one choose the SD instead?

frozentundra
04-29-11, 17:53
Just got back from a gunshow....no SD's, and only 1 used glock. It was a very beat up looking gen 2 g22 for $450.
I talked to one dealer who said he had sold a couple SD's. He told me they were just a "glorified Sigma" and then proceeded to try to sell a guy a Taurus Millenium something or other:big_boss:.
Terrible prices on everything, but especially handguns.
I give up on trying to find a used handgun.

frozentundra
04-29-11, 18:02
Don't have any feedback on it and like you I haven't seen many reports on the SD's; just advertising.

I guess what I don't understand is what role the SD fills? What does it offer that the M&P doesn't and why would one choose the SD instead?

I guess for me it just seems like a real good size, I wish they would make a g19 size m&P. Also I am a broke SOB. I will not be able to afford to shoot many thousands of rounds and take classes like I wish that I could.

CoryCop25
04-29-11, 18:53
OMB Express has Glock 22s for $299.00.
http://www.ombexpress.com/pg_2/c_145/sf_4688.aspx

Chameleox
04-29-11, 19:16
FWIW, I've seen a few G19s in my area recently. M&Ps too. Haven't seen an SD though, not that I'm looking for another handgun.

Wisconsin is kind of a tough market. No CC (yet), but you have a few open carry folks. There's a gun culture, but its mostly fixated on hunting and target shooting, so you find few places with quality handgun selections (and fewer with honest pricing).

nobody knows
04-30-11, 00:35
One option you may want to check out is the m&p 45c. Its not the same size as the 9/40/357 sig It's about g19 sized. And grant at g&r Tactical (a forum dealer) has them for $480. Or if you can compromise on size a little you could get the 9c for $439. Also like others have said try gunbroker or one of the other auction sights. Personally I'd stay away from the SD, I used to own a sigma and it was the biggest peace of crap I ever owned.

godsmack
04-30-11, 08:30
I have had an SD9 for about 6 months, with close to 1K of assorted rounds through it. I also have an apex beta spring kit to install before I take it to the range again, although the trigger pull has improved with lots of dry fire and actual shooting since I have had it.

My first trip to the range, the solid roll pin close to the take down levers started drifting out of the frame, within 50 rounds. It still funtioned but that was a problem. Sent it back to smith, they replaced all the pins and sent it back with an extra mag, all on their dime within a week and a half. Since then no problems with tula, WWB, wolf, speer gold dot, corbon +P, remington fmj.

The SD has almost nothing in common with a sigma, or the M&P. The trigger mech is very different than either pistol. I think the material the frame is made of is closer to the sigma than the M&P, it feels slicker than the M&P in my hand.

Why an SD over a glock, or even an M&P? I am a huge fan of the M&P and have shot my M&P 40 fullsize a lot, I went to the gunstore wanting something closer to the G19 in size. And the SD was about $100 cheaper than the G19 with a front night site. I hate buying any new model but figured if I didnt like it, I could either sell or trade it at a slight loss and just buy a G19 but at this point I have no plans to get rid of it :D

wahoo95
04-30-11, 09:32
The M&P9 is not that much bigger than a G19....slide is roughly the same length and it has a slightly longer grip. I just picked up a brand new one off Gunbroker this week for $410 shipped....they have more if you're interested.

The SD is not a totally a Sigma as it has many improvements. On top of the that the latest Sigma's aren't bad pistols at their price point. That said, I'd can't see passing up an M&P9 when they can be had for cheap.

I understand tight budgets, but its better to just save another month or so and get the best gun the first time than settle for a mediocre gun now. I assume you're looking at $375-400 for an SD plus another $50+ for an Apex kit? If so you you should really look at an M&P.

frozentundra
04-30-11, 09:47
I have had an SD9 for about 6 months, with close to 1K of assorted rounds through it. I also have an apex beta spring kit to install before I take it to the range again, although the trigger pull has improved with lots of dry fire and actual shooting since I have had it.

The SD has almost nothing in common with a sigma, or the M&P. The trigger mech is very different than either pistol.

Thanks for the feedback....I hope you can post a review once you get the new springs in and shoot it a bit.....this is one of the big reasons that I am interested in this pistol. If Apex can fix the trigger up for a reasonable price it would real cool.

skyugo
04-30-11, 15:45
Where? If I saw a G19 for 350 I'd snatch that up, haven't seen it in quite a while.

my buddy just picked one up at jensen arms in loveland like a month ago. it's a gen 2 and well used, but it works fine. :confused:

godsmack
04-30-11, 22:13
Thanks for the feedback....I hope you can post a review once you get the new springs in and shoot it a bit.....this is one of the big reasons that I am interested in this pistol. If Apex can fix the trigger up for a reasonable price it would real cool.

I will, thats part of the deal I made with apex. No pics however until they tell me otherwise but I will post here and a few other places what I think. Frankly though, I like the trigger on the SD. It was gritty when I first got it but has smoothed up a lot. I guesstimate the weight around 7lbs, just over a stock glock trigger. The glock has less takeup and a more positive reset, but once you get used to it you can shoot the pistol well.