PDA

View Full Version : IWB vs. OWB?

LRB45
04-29-11, 07:50
What are the pros/cons of the different holsters for IWB vs. OWB?

Which do you like and why? Or do some people use one and switch to the other at other times?

Thanks

RRVII
04-29-11, 08:00
I can't speak to OWB, because I have never carried that way. I do, however, carry daily IWB. My set up is a S&W M&P 9c in a Comp-tac Minotaur holster with c-clips at about 3:30 - 4:00. I have found this set-up very comfortable and concealable either tucked or untucked. My typical dress for work is a pair of dress slacks or cotton khakis with either a tucked dress shirt, polo, or untucked "camp" type shirt. I have been using this setup for several months and have never been "made" or had anyone question the c-clips on my belt. I will say, that if I had it to do over, I may have ordered the standard clips, because I don't think they would be much more noticeable than the c-clips. Comp-tac also makes v-clips, but you need to put a peice of velcro on the inside of your belt, so I haven't tried those.

The only con for me on this setup would be that a tucked shirt does make for slower and more cumbersome access to your firearm.

Randy V.

jc75754
04-29-11, 08:43
+1 for the comp tac. I carry this with the regular clips and usually carry in jeans and t-shirt. Easily conceals my glock 19 at 4:00 or SOB. My wife does not even notice around the house.

WillBrink
04-29-11, 09:26
What are the pros/cons of the different holsters for IWB vs. OWB?

Which do you like and why? Or do some people use one and switch to the other at other times?

Thanks

OWB for me. As far as I know, the only major pro for IWB over OWB is concealment. Others may have other pros I'm failing to consider for IWB vs OWB. I'd rather dress around the gun as needed, then have a gun stuck down my pants all day which I don't find comfortable or as accessible as a good OWB set up.

However, for some, OWB is simply not an option for them as it is for your self employed types like me, so IWB is a must for them. For me, IWB is last resort of ways to CCW if I can't figure out another option.

Currently, I'm using Garret Industries Silent Thunder belt slide holster, which is a great product in my view.

romanowe
04-29-11, 10:20
As a rather slender individual, 5'9" 160, I could not find an OWB holster that would not require me to purchase a new wardrobe. IWB is much easier for me to conceal and holds the weapon much tighter to my body.

markm
04-29-11, 10:23
I haven't carried IWB in so long, I can't remember what it's like.

Magsz
04-29-11, 11:31
I haven't carried IWB in so long, I can't remember what it's like.

You also live in AZ where you can ride the main turret of a tank around town and no one bats an eyelash. :)

This really boils down to your own individual comfort level. 99% of people in the civilian populace arent looking for guns nor would they even be able to identify or associate a bulge on someones hip line UNDER a shirt with a gun.

Choose a method of carry that is discreet, comfortable and retains the weapon well during your daily functions.

hk45ctp30
04-29-11, 14:40
I agree with Will Brink 100%. I only carry OWB, since I carried a pistol there with the govt. for 38 years. Plus, I have a large amount of jeans, slacks, etc. which fit me just fine. If I went IWB, I would have to replace all of my pants in order to allow me to carry IWB. As some posters said, I dress around having the pistol OWB, plus I carry an HK45CT which is pretty much a full size pistol. With the right shirts, though, I can carry it under the shirt while wearing shorts, pants, etc. Hope this helps clarify why I carry the way I do.

WillBrink
04-29-11, 14:42
I agree with Will Brink 100%.

I'm going to forward that to the base CO, ergo, the GF... :D

Stangman
04-29-11, 14:43
Put me down for IWB, with a MTAC holster as my carry of choice.

SPM14430
04-29-11, 14:49
It really comes down to personal preference.

I very much prefer carrying in a quality pancake holster.

However, I carry IWB 95% of the time due to ease of concealibility.

skyugo
04-29-11, 15:30
I started out with OWB cause i didn't feel like buying all new pants :o it IS comfortable. it's a bit less concealable though and it tends to make me a little nervous for that reason. IWB with the right sized pants and a good belt is very comfortable and concealable.
I carry my g19 in an atomic dog IWB. and my p7 in a minotaur.
Both holsters can be used with a tucked in shirt too. If i want extra concealment i tend to tuck my t-shirt over the holster and wear a loose shirt over the top.

Watrdawg
04-29-11, 15:41
OWB for me. I'm short and stocky. 5'5" 175 with a small waist, 30". This works out pretty well for and OWB. I wear a large shirt which hangs pretty loosely at the waist and hides an OWB holster fine. I'm using a Raven holster for my M&P 45 Mid and have no problems concealing it.

RD62
04-29-11, 15:53
I have carried OWB and IWB (as well as SOB, on the ankle, on the vest, etc) over the years with Uncle Mikes, Safariland, Galco, Side Armor, Comp-tac, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

I find IWB much easier to conceal than OWB, but then I tend to carry full size service type pistols (1911, Glock 17 or 22, Beretta 96, etc). Because they seem to conceal better IWB I find myself more comfortable carrying. Not physically comfortable, but mentally, which leads me to carry more often and in more places. With an IWB I find leather more comfortable, but kydex more reasonably priced and much easier to reholster. I am currently using a Comp-tac Infidel IWB, but have also had good luck with Side Armor and Galco.

OWB is definitely physically more comfortable for me, but for the above reasons I usually only carry like this on the range, in the field hunting, or (when I was LE) on duty. OWB may also be faster in the draw stroke, but that doesn't mean IWB is a no go in this regard.

I just started competing in IDPA, but have been doing so with my carry IWB Comp-tac holster and have had no issues being competitive.

If you can try each. Maybe find some used holsters to try out. You can always resell what you don't like and many people go through a couple of different styles before they find what works best for them.

I would caution though, that like many things, with holsters you tend to get what you pay for in regards to comfort, durability, and concealability.

A cheapy Uncle Mikes or Fobus may be find for plinking on the range or carrying around in the woods for a couple of hours, but won't be near as comfortable, durable, etc as a nicer higher end holster.

Also keep in mind that a GOOD belt (not one from JC Pennies or GAP) is as big a part of the comfort and concealment equation as the holster.

Good luck!

gringop
04-29-11, 17:40
IWB is the only way for me, carry, competition and training classes. I can carry J-frames and 5" 1911s under just a pocket T. The only way possible to expose the gun is to raise the shirt above the belt line.

I carry this way walking around, in the car and on the bike (sport tourer). The key is to have a comfortable, high quality IWB holster (Sparks Executive Companion) and a good belt.

If you train with an IWB, you can be just as quick as with a (non race) OWB.

Gringop

Nytcrawler93
04-29-11, 18:56
Depends on body type, climate, gun size, clothing style, and comfort required. I prefer IWB unless I am spending a lot of time in the car.

rathos
04-29-11, 20:45
IWB makes it much easier to hide the gun. It is sometimes not as comfortable, depending on the holster and how you dress. For me I wear IWB 99% of the time and it is comfortable enough that I can take a nap with it on. I also find I can hide even full size guns with just a t-shirt if I am using IWB.

There are some OWB designs that do a decent job hiding a gun, but IWB is much easier.

Yojimbo
04-29-11, 21:04
In simplest terms IWB gives you better concealment with less comfort and OWB gives you better comfort and less concealment.

I will also add that comfort is an individual thing and depends on body type, carry position and the type of holster you're using.

SmokeJumper
04-29-11, 21:33
In simplest terms the IWB gives you better concealment with less comfort and the OWB give you better comfort and less concealment.

I will also add that comfort is an and individual thing and depends on body type, carry position and the type of holster you're using.

Very accurate and complete answer. I will say that the right holster makes the difference as far as carry comfort goes for IWB. For me I carry IWB most often and a leather holster like a Sparks SSII is the one for me. I've tried kydex for IWB and they just don't work for me, but a good leather rig and good to go.

5cary
04-29-11, 22:10
In simplest terms the IWB gives you better concealment with less comfort and the OWB give you better comfort and less concealment.

I will also add that comfort is an and individual thing and depends on body type, carry position and the type of holster you're using.

Pretty much this.

I carry IWB if I'm in a T shirt and shorts and need the concealment. I carry OWB when I can. It's more comfortable and I can draw and reholster faster.

CLHC
04-29-11, 23:00
I concur with Yojimbo's post above.

wagon
04-30-11, 22:08
I'm 100%. In 155 lb 34" waist, I find it very difficult to conceal even a subcompact like Kahr. I actually enjoy appendix IWB at ~2:30 position, comfy in my case and conceal very well .. even a G26. For larger frame G19 and CZ P01, I have to IWB them @ 3:30 to hide the grip butt.

I use Mitch Rosen Clipper for all my AIWB subcompact carry, Alessi and HBE rings for the Compacts 3:30~4:00 carry. Like SmokeJumper, I'm a leather person, have never tried any kydex rigs... some may say I might miss out, but it is alright :laugh:

YMMV.

Reagans Rascals
04-30-11, 22:14
I carry owb, in a kydex holster I made myself. I carry a 92FS with added night sites, threaded barrel, rail adapter and M3X light. I sometimes utilize a Raven 4 mag carrier on my left side, if the clothing permits.

I think it is easier for me to access an owb carry in the event of use than iwb, just personal preference.

I am 5'11, 260 lbs...

MOTRON
05-01-11, 17:49
In simplest terms IWB gives you better concealment with less comfort and OWB gives you better comfort and less concealment.

I will also add that comfort is an individual thing and depends on body type, carry position and the type of holster you're using.

This.

I've carried OWB all winter and always had to be conscious of my jacket covering the bottom of my holster.

Since I've gotten the Comptac Minotaur I don't have to worry about that and my G30 disappears under a t-shirt. Comfort is very good, although it did take a few days to get used to. I would venture to say my draw times are similar for the two types of carry.

The best part about the Comptac is the ease of carry, just put the clips over your belt, button your pants, insert gun, go about your business. Makes carry easy(minimal printing) and worry free (good retention).

Not trying to "sell" the Comptac, it's just my only reference IWB holster.

Shadow1198
05-02-11, 04:36
I'll say this much, I haven't found any perfect solutions. The only definite that I have found is, you want a ROCK SOLID attachment method. I've tried a bunch of the various metal, kydex, and injection molded clips out there. It's funny how you come full circle sometimes, and I keep going back to leather loops. Leather loops are pretty much not gonna break. All that plastic shit will break if you look at it wrong. The most comfortable, most concealable holster in the world isn't worth a shit if it won't stay on you when things get a little "active".

rob_s
05-02-11, 05:06
You also live in AZ where you can ride the main turret of a tank around town and no one bats an eyelash. :)

This really boils down to your own individual comfort level. 99% of people in the civilian populace arent looking for guns nor would they even be able to identify or associate a bulge on someones hip line UNDER a shirt with a gun.

Choose a method of carry that is discreet, comfortable and retains the weapon well during your daily functions.

Exactly right.

I hear all the time about "dressing around the gun", and in general an IWB holster means I don't have to.

I've carried IWB for so long that I don't even give it a second thought. I've run classes, carbine and handgun, with IWB holsters from under a concealment shirt. It's just a total non-issue.

I don't begrudge anyone their mode of carry. Like the holsters themselves it's an entirely personal choice and unfortunately you have to try things to find out what works for you. No amount of internut chatter on the topic is going to change that.