PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Legal AR

Six oh Nine
04-29-11, 21:23
so i live in new jersey, and i often go to a range where police train, and many are sticklers for even the furthest stretch of firearms laws,
I know that on my AR i cannot have in any way shape or form a telescopic, folding, or collapsible stock. so far i have found the MAGPUL PRS, but I'm not a big fan, its not a bad stock just looking for other options, any one have any ideas or thoughts that might help? thank you

SteadyUp
04-29-11, 21:28
Why not the standard A1 or A2 rifle stock?

Vlobb
04-29-11, 21:36
You can have any AR stock on the planet. If it's collapsible, it must be permanently pinned in place.

ZRH
04-30-11, 05:09
There are sully stocks: http://www.thedefensiveedge.com/Sully_Stock_p/sully01.htm

Cav arms makes a nice A1 stock.

SWATcop556
04-30-11, 05:49
I would either run the Sully stock or have your stock of choice pinned.

mark5pt56
04-30-11, 06:39
Get the Vltor A1 length stock, you will be glad.

SWATcop556
04-30-11, 08:20

Forgot about this one. Damn good choice.

ComeAndTakeIt
04-30-11, 08:34
I will never understand how people live under commie governments like NJ/CA/NY/CT etc. /rant

It's interesting how the police are so gung-ho there to enforce that stuff too. /2nd rant

To answer your question, I 3rd the Vltor A1 length stock. Even here in Texas, I looked at that one and considered it.

Mark82ndABN
04-30-11, 09:19
As others said, a pinned stock of your choice isn't so bad. That's what I did when I lived in NJ. I got sick of the BS and moved to PA 8 years ago so I don't have to sweat their stupid laws any more.

deni
04-30-11, 10:17

I am also from NJ and have this on mine now.
I'm planning on picking up the sully stock as well and will see which I prefer.

Safetyhit
04-30-11, 10:25
Do you already own one that isn't compliant? If so, you might want to tread carefully from here and also remember that there are other aspects of a non-compliant rifle that may need to be addressed. Maybe you already know it, but there can also be no lug and it must have a permanently attached muzzle brake. And 15 rounds is the magazine max, of course.

If you don't already own one, I'd just get a Colt MT6400 myself.

Skyyr
04-30-11, 15:18
I'd personally just get a 20" Noveske with a PRS stock and call it good. Pinning a muzzle break to a gun just never sat well with me.

Killjoy
04-30-11, 17:49
I will never understand how people live under commie governments like NJ/CA/NY/CT etc. /rant

It's interesting how the police are so gung-ho there to enforce that stuff too. /2nd rant

As a police officer "behind enemy lines" I can attest to the fact that 90% of law enforcement officers in this state neither care, nor know anything about the continued AWB law here. Most officers I know are pro 2nd amendment; we see firsthand how well "gun control" works in the cities!

Alex V
04-30-11, 19:37
As mentioned before you have a ton of options. Anything from A1/A2 to Sully to the VLTOR to a pinned stock of your choice.

Personally, Im pretty short and I tend to shoot with my nose to the CH, so the A1/A1 and even the VLTOR stocks were too long for me. I got an MOE stock, collapsed almost all the way down [1 click from full] and pinned it. Nice and easy, call it a day.

Find what is comfortable for you because you have choices.

On the topic of NJ cops, I took a small carbine class last summer with 7 students, 6 were NJ State Troopers and then me. 5 of them had HN non compliant rifles ;) A2 flash hiders, collapsible stocks, bayo lugs and all. All live in NJ and none seemed to care. Now I know that there are different laws for NJ Cops and NJ civilians :rolleyes: but sheesh! LOL

I have only been questioned once and that was by a range officer at Range14 [Fort Dix] because I had a 15/30 round PMAG. Once he saw that it was a modified mag to only hold 15 rounds, he backed the f off...

Safetyhit
04-30-11, 20:28
I have only been questioned once and that was by a range officer at Range14 [Fort Dix] because I had a 15/30 round PMAG. Once he saw that it was a modified mag to only hold 15 rounds, he backed the f off...

Don't you just love it when that happens. :rolleyes:

Have to say that most of the time these days it's mostly kids running the show. It seemed to be worse a few years ago, but maybe my timing was bad then or just better now.

Like you may have, I've been up there when canned Class 3's are being used. Nobody bothered them, but I suppose it was largely due to the quietness. Even military/LEO's have to abide by the same no rapid fire rules as the civilians, but they usually seem comfortable and have always gone unnoticed.

Six oh Nine
05-01-11, 00:03
yes, I do already have a set up, and the problem is I have already been questioned, i wish killjoy was right, but if that was the case, why was i questioned!!!

Six oh Nine
05-01-11, 00:06
also the sully and Vltor A1 stock look kinda, well chessey, are there any normal looking stocks that still fit the non telescopic, folding, collapsible category?

tgace
05-01-11, 00:28
As a police officer "behind enemy lines" I can attest to the fact that 90% of law enforcement officers in this state neither care, nor know anything about the continued AWB law here. Most officers I know are pro 2nd amendment; we see firsthand how well "gun control" works in the cities!

Amen.

Don't rob a bank with one and I won't even think about looking for a bayo-lug or an "evil" flash-hider.

But with so many various LE agencies out there your mileage may vary.

Mark71
05-01-11, 01:03
also the sully and Vltor A1 stock look kinda, well chessey, are there any normal looking stocks that still fit the non telescopic, folding, collapsible category?

Your best option then would be to purchase the stock of your choice and have it pinned at your preferred length.

I also sent you a PM

Thanks

Silver_2325
05-01-11, 02:03

Truth. I would also like to add that if you are respectful towards LEOs at your range and get to know them you will find that most dont give a shit if you are breaking rules like that.

rauchman
05-02-11, 08:39
As a fellow NJ'er, I feel your pain.

I'm running the Vltor A1 stock on a S&W M&P15T(F) and while I like the cheek slope and storage, it's still a little long. I have an ACE fullsize on a Bushmaster, and again, it's a little long. On a Spike's Tactical, I'm running the ACE Entry length. It's a bit short, but overall I like it better than the A1/A2 length stocks. KAC, Fulton Armory and DPMS (there may be more, I don't know) all offer a 1"-2" spacer that goes between the receiver and the stock itself. I'm going to try a 1" spacer on the ACE Entry stock. I think it will be close to perfect. I've always read great reviews on the Sully Stock, but for some reason, it never really jazzed me. I really wish Vltor would come up w/ a riflestock, like their A1, based on their new A5 buffer system, for "Ban" states. Use a rifle length style buffer tube shortened for A5 length, w/ their Rifle stock, again shortened for the A5 buffer tube. Give me the clubfoot version and I'm golden.

Alex V
05-02-11, 09:56
Don't you just love it when that happens. :rolleyes:

Have to say that most of the time these days it's mostly kids running the show. It seemed to be worse a few years ago, but maybe my timing was bad then or just better now.

Like you may have, I've been up there when canned Class 3's are being used. Nobody bothered them, but I suppose it was largely due to the quietness. Even military/LEO's have to abide by the same no rapid fire rules as the civilians, but they usually seem comfortable and have always gone unnoticed.

The guy questioning me was a "kid" must have been mid 20's He did not ask about the pinned MOE on my 14.5" AR or about the pinned ACS on the 18" SPR, or about the 15/20 PMAGS I was using in the SPR. Just asked about the 15/30's

To the OP, what range was this at? I frequent the Bullet Hole which has a large LEO customer base. I have never been asked anything about any of my ARs or magazines. In fact when I first got the 15/30 PMAGS I came up to the range master and showed him that they were NJ legal and was told "Don't worry about it, you can use whatever you like here" LOL Maybe it was because the Range Masters love when my GF comes there in tight jeans ;) Who knows.

Six oh Nine
05-02-11, 11:51
I'd personally just get a 20" Noveske with a PRS stock and call it good. Pinning a muzzle break to a gun just never sat well with me.

I have quoted Skyyr, but this is to everyone, what is the down side to a muzzle break on an AR

Six oh Nine
05-02-11, 11:53
Do you already own one that isn't compliant? If so, you might want to tread carefully from here and also remember that there are other aspects of a non-compliant rifle that may need to be addressed. Maybe you already know it, but there can also be no lug and it must have a permanently attached muzzle brake. And 15 rounds is the magazine max, of course.

If you don't already own one, I'd just get a Colt MT6400 myself.

No, I own a completely legal one, just looked on changing some things up, and want to make sure any mods I make are "okay"
As I am finding out the term "legal" and "okay" are based on how people are feeling that day lol

Cylinder Head
05-02-11, 12:20
I feel the OP's pain, but there are a number of ways around NJ's archaic rules without breaking them. I had my Magpul ACS pinned at a length I liked by Paterson Gunsmithing. At the same time my upper was at Armament Gunsmithing getting the Battlecomp pinned. I use 15/30 mags from midwestpx.com.

Before I moved out of the area I lived ten miles from the Bullet Hole and shot there all the time. The RO's never gave me crap about my rifle or asked to make sure it was "legal".

I took a carbine course a few weeks ago that was headed by two SWAT team leaders both who told us flat out "we don't care what you have on your rifles, we don't care if you have 30 round mags." Some guys just get it.

yukongt2000
05-02-11, 17:56
After you take a carbine course... where can your train with your newly gained techniques in NJ? Rapid fire, shooting on the move, multiple targets... it seems like you would only get to do this in certain private clubs.

I just recently purchased my first AR and want to take a local carbine course... any recommendations??

Alex V
05-02-11, 19:53
After you take a carbine course... where can your train with your newly gained techniques in NJ? Rapid fire, shooting on the move, multiple targets... it seems like you would only get to do this in certain private clubs.

I just recently purchased my first AR and want to take a local carbine course... any recommendations??

You have a PM. Want to keep it off the boards since they are not a sponsor here.

SA80Dan
05-02-11, 20:49
Another stock option at a very reasonable price:

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?products_id=373

- run one of these on my 3 Gun rifle; nice comfortable cheekweld. If by chance you like the A1 stock length well worth considering.

JSantoro
05-02-11, 21:00
I have quoted Skyyr, but this is to everyone, what is the down side to a muzzle break on an AR

Given the wording of your question, there's kinda-sorta two answers.

If you mean the downside of a muzzle brake in regard to brakes (they're a particular type of muzzle device), they produce a significant amount of blast that can be obnoxious to other shooters around you, and even to you the shooter, particularly indoors.

If you mean the downside of pinning a muzzle device in regard to muzzle devices in general, it's very difficult to impossible to remove a pinned device without ruining that device, should you want to swap for another at some point; even if you don't care about ruining the device, there's plenty of "gunsmiths" out there that will jack up your barrel in the process, which is way worse.

Six oh Nine
05-02-11, 22:28
You have a PM. Want to keep it off the boards since they are not a sponsor here.

Dont hold out all the goods man, do fill me in on this information!

Alex V
05-03-11, 09:06
Dont hold out all the goods man, do fill me in on this information!

lol just dont want to get in trouble with the admins on this board. I am a member of a few car/racing related forums and if you mention a product from a shop that does not sponsor the board you get a warning or a few days vacation. Not willing to tempt the gods.

If it's not against M4C rules I can post an AAR in the appropriate section.

Back to topic: get a Battle Comp 1.5, have it pinned and do the same with any stock of your choice at what ever length you find most comfortable. Being in NJ sucks when it comes to firearms, but it's not the end of the world... just close to it.

rocsteady
05-03-11, 09:44
Not to get off topic too much, but I saw someone mention the Ft. Dix range. I'm going tomorrow to shoot my BCM for the first time and will see how they react as it is not ban compliant but I am LE.

Alex V
05-03-11, 10:20
Not to get off topic too much, but I saw someone mention the Ft. Dix range. I'm going tomorrow to shoot my BCM for the first time and will see how they react as it is not ban compliant but I am LE.

See, this is what pisses me off. Being LE in NJ does not excuse
You from the law.

If I have to use 15 round mags, pin my stock and muzzle device so do you.

Gr!

More than likely they will not say much about the rifle as I guessing the guys that are there now just don't know any better. But youse be asked about magazines since they are far more conspicuous.

Cylinder Head
05-03-11, 10:26
I know of a few good courses/instructors in the NJ area, but yes it is virtually impossible to practice the techniques you learn outside of a course unless you are in PA. I'd sure love to know of a place where I could do that, because I'd spend every weekend there.

mark5pt56
05-03-11, 17:57
If I lived there, it would be an A1 Vltor, 16" with a decent brake for a defensive weapon. If target oriented, the same or PRS with 20".

Bottom line you live there, comply with established law, agree with it or not. No point in trying to "wiggle" around it by choosing venue, etc.
In regards to to Law Enforcement, they are sworn to uphold the law. Until the law is changed, repealed, etc. The are doing what they are hired to do and current law there hasn't been deemed to be invalid, etc via the courts.

Could you imagine what things would be like if LE never enforced any laws because it's unpopular with whoever? Every law is unpopular with someone.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's not an effective tool in preventing crime, but like I said, it's the law--

Leave the LE and law reference out of it and help the guy out with his equipment within the rules he has to deal with.

Six oh Nine
05-03-11, 20:17
I know of a few good courses/instructors in the NJ area, but yes it is virtually impossible to practice the techniques you learn outside of a course unless you are in PA. I'd sure love to know of a place where I could do that, because I'd spend every weekend there.

If you know of any, send me a PM!

And as for in PA goes, I get so jealous, my Brother is actually a PA Trooper, and always texts/calls me to brag about he's going out to have a good time about 10min from his house, and I'm looking for about an hour drive just to some place OKAY lol

Six oh Nine
05-03-11, 20:21
If it's not against M4C rules I can post an AAR in the appropriate section.

Back to topic: get a Battle Comp 1.5, have it pinned and do the same with any stock of your choice at what ever length you find most comfortable. Being in NJ sucks when it comes to firearms, but it's not the end of the world... just close to it.

Or you could just send me a PM?

as for the battle comp 1.5 your actually the second person to tell me that, so I'll probably be aiming that way.

And as for Jersey being the end of the world, though the rules are restrictive, all I can say is, there are worse, and I don't mind abiding by the rules, the only problem is, if you actually take the time to read them, they dont make any sense and are next to impossible to understand. Just make them in plain normal everyday text, and no gray area just black and white, and i'd be more than happy to do whatever to comply.
Which is the only reason I started this post to begin with, is I just wanted to make sure I understood the rules as best as the next guy. :laugh:

Redline
05-04-11, 00:41
I feel the OP's pain, but there are a number of ways around NJ's archaic rules without breaking them. I had my Magpul ACS pinned at a length I liked by Paterson Gunsmithing. At the same time my upper was at Armament Gunsmithing getting the Battlecomp pinned. I use 15/30 mags from midwestpx.com.

You need to be careful with those 15/30 mags. I just went to that website and read the specs on them. It says the base plate is permanently affixed using a tension pin. I have no idea what that looks like, or if it really is permanent.

The problem is that for the past several yrs blocked mags have had to be permanently blocked. From what I understand that means like a continuous weld holding the base plate to the magazine body. I don't even think a few spot welds might be enough to satisfy the anti gunners.

Read this page at the ANJRPC website. They are the arm of the NRA in NJ. http://www.anjrpc.org/?magazines

The state police takes this very seriously. I think this is also somewhere on their website in the firearms division section. I wouldn't show up with those mags anywhere. It is a serious offense from what I understand.

When I got my colt mt-6400c I read up on reliable mags and I decided to go with c-products llc 10 rd mags. They are awesome. They have smooth spring and follower movement all the way from empty to full. All the mags feel exactly the same way as far as spring tension and smoothness of follower travel. And they have those no tilt followers. I took them to the range and had no problems. I then saw they had a 15 rd mag which is a 20 rd body cut to hold 15. I bought one and it was garbage. So I got a couple more of the 10 rd ones.

Alaskapopo
05-04-11, 01:21
See, this is what pisses me off. Being LE in NJ does not excuse
You from the law.

If I have to use 15 round mags, pin my stock and muzzle device so do you.

Gr!

More than likely they will not say much about the rifle as I guessing the guys that are there now just don't know any better. But youse be asked about magazines since they are far more conspicuous.

Disclaimer I don' support gun control however cops are generally exempt from such rules for obvious reasons. We use our guns in the line of duty and not just as range toys. So while I hope New Jersey gets better laws for everyone in the future, the cops still need to have un neutered weapons to do their job.
Pat

ZRH
05-04-11, 02:23
Disclaimer I don' support gun control however cops are generally exempt from such rules for obvious reasons. We use our guns in the line of duty and not just as range toys. So while I hope New Jersey gets better laws for everyone in the future, the cops still need to have un neutered weapons to do their job.
Pat
Personally owned weapons that aren't used on the job are a different matter, as are the personally owned weapons of retired LE.

Eurodriver
05-04-11, 02:56
There is alot of "They dont care what you have on your rifle at xxx range" here.

Good luck with that in court.

Remember, NJ is the state where a man had an NJ- illegal weapon in his checked baggage, had a delay in his connecting city and ended up in jail even though his "weapons" were unloaded and locked in the trunk of his rental vehicle during his airline delay.

ZRH
05-04-11, 07:18
Remember, NJ is the state where a man had an NJ- illegal weapon in his checked baggage, had a delay in his connecting city and ended up in jail even though his "weapons" were unloaded and locked in the trunk of his rental vehicle during his airline delay.
You should always observe the law where you live.

The guy at Newark took possession of his bags and stayed overnight. He was arrested for possession of a handgun without a permit. Completely different. You can't possess _any_ firearms in NJ without a FID. http://www.morelaw.com/verdicts/case.asp?n=09-2029&s=NJ&d=43309

Alex V
05-04-11, 07:25
Pat

Unfortunately as far as I understand the law, LEOs in NJ are NOT exempt from the law unless the weapon was issued by their agency. In which case, once again as I understand it by talking to several NJ LEOs, they can not use while off duty. So if a NJ cop is using a non compliant AR at a public range chances are it's not an issue weapon and purchased personally. Still illegal.

It's the same idea as having an LEO getting his/her CCW without a problem and me being told to pound sand. Just because they are cops does not make them better than me, and if I have to suffer with NJ laws, so should they.

Once again, off topic. I know we were told to avoid derailing the thread and I apologize.

Cylinder Head
05-04-11, 08:08
There is alot of "They dont care what you have on your rifle at xxx range" here.

Good luck with that in court.

I don't see anyone here promoting breaking the law, I think those examples were more to point out that there is little understanding of NJ gun laws to the point of many LEO's not even caring anymore. They are written in very vague language to allow for liberal interpretation by a prosecutor.

If you call the NJ State Police Firearms unit and ask about hollow point ammunition, you will get a different answer every time.

rauchman
05-04-11, 08:47
I don't see anyone here promoting breaking the law, I think those examples were more to point out that there is little understanding of NJ gun laws to the point of many LEO's not even caring anymore. They are written in very vague language to allow for liberal interpretation by a prosecutor.

If you call the NJ State Police Firearms unit and ask about hollow point ammunition, you will get a different answer every time.

Greetings Cylinder Head,

How are you? After the Brian Aiken incident, I called the NJSP to get clarification on HP pistol rounds. I have to say, the officer that I spoke with felt the frustration that I feel in the nebulous restrictions per NJ. He basically said, HP's are legal if used in a legal manner. In other words, if you shoot and the shoot is legal, you are ok. However, if they deem the shoot to not be legal, they will throw on the HP charge in addition to whatever else they throw at you. Nebulous.... I know. Just picked up a case of Fed EFMJ for my defensive pistols. Not the best, but one of the best offerings that NJ wouldn't criticize...I think....I hope.

rauchman
05-04-11, 08:48

I'd appreciate that info also.

Thanks

Redline
05-04-11, 09:43
I got this info from the Evan F Nappen and Richard Gilbert book "New Jersey Gun Law".

Hollow points are legal to posses in NJ if they are being used for legal purposes. For ex. target shooting, hunting. They can be possesed on your property, dwelling and at range or on way to range or from range to home. I don't think a business owner can have them at his place of business if he wants to simply "protect his business" from a would be armed robber, if he is not the owner of the property the business is located on, unless he lives at that business also.

So if u go to the range with hp ammo, make sure when u r done and take your guns home, that u don't have a loose round in your trunk. If u are caught with the loose round and u r not on your way to a range or hunting, u could get in trouble. Also, it's the damned bullet that's illegal, not the cartridge. Those key chains with the bullets on them, u should not have one with a hp bullet on it. Same thing if u have a box of hp bullets (not cartridges) in your car and u r not using them for the legal exemptions mentioned above. LEO and Military are also exempt.

Zell959
05-04-11, 15:44
Also, it's the damned bullet that's illegal, not the cartridge. Those key chains with the bullets on them, u should not have one with a hp bullet on it. Same thing if u have a box of hp bullets (not cartridges) in your car and u r not using them for the legal exemptions mentioned above.

I believe you may be mistaken on this, at least in terms of how the laws actually read. The laws refer to "hollow point ammunition" or "hollow nose ammunition" with no specific mention of the bullets themselves.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf
http://www.nj.gov/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

Redline
05-04-11, 17:39
Zell, I see your point. The Evan Nappen book shows the letter of the law, then under that he has a loopholes and pitfalls section where he tries to warn u about real world situations u might get into. In that section he mentioned the bullets themselves as being the problem not the cartridge.

Zell959
05-05-11, 10:05
Zell, I see your point. The Evan Nappen book shows the letter of the law, then under that he has a loopholes and pitfalls section where he tries to warn u about real world situations u might get into. In that section he mentioned the bullets themselves as being the problem not the cartridge.

Ok. That's fair enough. I certainly can recognize that you were sharing the information to help fellow shooters in New Jersey avoid unneccesary hassle, and Mr.Nappen may be familiar with instances where the bullets themselves were used as justification for a wrongful arrest or search.

That said, my personal feelings are that enough is enough when we start to consider giving in to laws that don't actually exist or interpretations of the law that are not actually supported by pre-existing case law. I don't doubt that someone in a position of authority in the judicial system or legislature can cause significant and unwarranted damage to the life of someone for no good reason. But, trying to outpace a state government's idealogical demensia with firearms only increases the likelyhood that the insanity will spread to other non-issues instead of improve.

Safetyhit
05-05-11, 11:00
Where is that old "Not this shit again" picture with the frustrated looking fellow when you need it. :fie:

Yes, as stated and discussed several times before, hollow points are legal in NJ but their use and possession are restricted. I know we have newer folks here, and I know the laws are both very confusing as well as petty in our fine state, and I also know that you can't rely on the state or local police for correct answers, but...

Just kidding. Someone should pay for a billboard on the turnpike or something to make the truth a bit easier to discern. All you need are a few news outlets reporting on it and it will be legend, as well as helpful if done properly in brief but informative "bullet point" format.

tgace
05-06-11, 19:44
As far as I know, NJ's AWB is a lot like NY's. LEO's are exempt from the statute.

The law regarding possession of "assault firearms" in NJ is cited under 2C:39-5 "Unlawful Possession of Weapons".

It clearly states:

"f. Assault firearms. Any person who knowingly
has in his possession an assault firearm is
guilty of a crime of the third degree except if the
assault firearm is licensed pursuant to N.J.S.
2C:58-5; registered pursuant to section 11 of
P.L. 1990, c. 32 (C. 2C:58-12) or rendered inoperable
pursuant to section 12 of P.L. 1990, c. 32
(C. 2C:58-13)."

The next section (2C:39-6), titled "Exemptions." It goes on to state:

"a. Provided a person complies with the requirements
of subsection j. of this section, N.J.S.
2C:39-5 does not apply to: ...
(7)(a) A regularly employed member, including
a detective, of the police department of any
county or municipality, or of any State, interstate,
municipal or county park police force or
boulevard police force, at all times while in the
State of New Jersey; "

The statute and exemption is pretty much the same here in NY.

Section 265.20 Exemptions

a. Sections 265.01, 265.02, 265.03, 265.04, 265.05, 265.10, 265.11, 265.12, 265.13, 265.15 and 270.05 shall not apply to:

1. Possession of any of the weapons, instruments, appliances or substances specified in sections 265.01, 265.02, 265.03, 265.04, 265.05 and 270.05 by the following:

(a) Persons in the military service of the state of New York when duly authorized by regulations issued by the adjutant general to possess the same.

(b) Police officers as defined in subdivision thirty-four of section 1.20 of the criminal procedure law.

(c) Peace officers as defined by section 2.10 of the criminal procedure laws.

(d) Persons in the military or other service of the United States, in pursuit of official duty or when duly authorized by federal law, regulation or order to possess the same.

(e) Persons employed in fulfilling defense contracts with the government of the United States or agencies thereof when possession of the same is necessary for manufacture, transport, installation and testing under the requirements of such contract.

This exemption doesn't specify that it pertains only to "officers while on-duty" or "officers while performing an official function" or "officers possessing only department issued weapons". The exemption states, in plain english, "at all times while in the State of New Jersey; (NY just flatly says LEO's are exempt)". PD policy may be another matter, but the statutory language is clear.

There was a recent case regarding this in NJ (http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-106583.html). The politicians themselves are confused over the issue.

Im not arguing the "rightness or wrongness" of it, just the legal issue at hand.

LEO's against the AWB (http://blog.officer.com//2010/08/10/the-assault-weapons-ban/).

ZRH
05-06-11, 20:07
The interesting thing is that exemption (e) in NY doesn't stop county prosecutors from trying to prosecute under local statute. Don't bother calling the AG either they want $200 for a nonbinding opinion. :rolleyes:

Interesting article for officer.com, I seem to remember their firearm board being filled with a bunch of antis, or maybe it was police.com...

tgace
05-06-11, 20:13
The interesting thing is that exemption (e) in NY doesn't stop county prosecutors from trying to prosecute under local statute. Don't bother calling the AG either they want $200 for a nonbinding opinion. :rolleyes:

Interesting article for officer.com, I seem to remember their firearm board being filled with a bunch of antis, or maybe it was police.com...

A local AWB Statute? Never heard of them, at least at my end of the "Pay Up State". I wouldn't be surprised if the larger cities or downstate counties have them. I'm sure that even they would have to list exemptions though, the wording of them would be key.

From a "rubber meets the road" standpoint, the LE exemption issue will really only come into play during situations like domestics or other $%#%%ers. Some copper shooting targets in a field with a personally owned "assault weapon" (EVIL collapsible stock, flash hider, etc) isn't going to have an issue. Where I am, a non-LEO doing the same won't likely have a problem either. Most of the time these statutes come into play when the weapon is associated with another "issue" like a domestic, robbery, menacing, etc.