PDA

View Full Version : Does the AR15 shoot underwater

BCmJUnKie
04-29-11, 22:05
So I have been researching the AR15 lately and if it shoots submerged or without being drained. Its been the topic of arguments, (between friends and myself). Particularly the DGI system. I have seen videos and read countless threads online. I myself do not believe it will work properly, (barrel splitting, upper reciever blowing off, KB). What is everyones beliefs on this, has anyone done it? Will a DGI AR15 function properly without being drained first.

An Undocumented Worker
04-29-11, 22:10
Why don't you test this out and get back to us on it?

SteveL
04-29-11, 22:13
And please film it when you do. It would be a hit on YouTube.

BCmJUnKie
04-29-11, 22:15
Why don't you test this out and get back to us on it?

Why dont you read the thread instead of hitting "reply". I have NO desire to do this whatsoever.

ALCOAR
04-29-11, 22:16
You can't exactly "barrel down" it underwater...I'm with Steve....millions of hits on youtube:D

mike boufford
04-29-11, 22:21
Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3TMh1qkjFk

BCmJUnKie
04-29-11, 22:22
You can't exactly "barrel down" it underwater...I'm with Steve....millions of hits on youtube:D

Okay let me make myself clear one more time since no one seems to be reading...I MYSELF DO NOT BELIEVE nor do I have ANY desire to try.

The Cat
04-29-11, 22:24
Okay let me make myself clear one more time since no one seems to be reading...I MYSELF DO NOT BELIEVE nor do I have ANY desire to try.

Then seriously, what's the point of your post?

BCmJUnKie
04-29-11, 22:28
Then seriously, what's the point of your post?

The point of my post is to actually find out. Theres all kinds of stuff out there and its back and forth about it being done. When I try to find out from people I actually take information serious, Its just a bunch of smart ass replies.

Icculus
04-29-11, 22:39
Water does not compress well. This would be very dangerous and you might loose a chunk of your face in the process. Do not shoot submerged or without draining the barrel. PERIOD.

CLHC
04-29-11, 22:48
Saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MA1IFKwdAQ

Dunderway
04-29-11, 22:50
This is not such a ridiculous question, and I have to admit that it entered my mind when I was underway with an M16. This has been explored at length with other weapons (glock) and it wouldn't surprise me if the mil has tested this somewhere along the line.

I agree with the OP that he asked a reasonable question and expects reasonable answers, instead of barfcom style "lol lol, blow your face off lol" bullshit.

Sorry, but I honestly don't know.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-29-11, 22:52
The point of my post is to actually find out. Theres all kinds of stuff out there and its back and forth about it being done. When I try to find out from people I actually take information serious, Its just a bunch of smart ass replies.

Use half your brain and figure out that the replies in this thread point to "no, you cant do it, catastrophe will happen".

uwe1
04-29-11, 22:53
Well this thread probably won't last long.

Water does not compress well. This would be very dangerous and you might loose a chunk of your face in the process. Do not shoot submerged or without draining the barrel. PERIOD.

I thought that this was fairly obvious....:suicide:

Just Google: "can you shoot ar15 underwater"

ETA: not directed at you Icculus

ALCOAR
04-29-11, 23:03
This is not such a ridiculous question, and I have to admit that it entered my mind when I was underway with an M16. This has been explored at length with other weapons (glock) and it wouldn't surprise me if the mil has tested this somewhere along the line.

I agree with the OP that he asked a reasonable question and expects reasonable answers, instead of barfcom style "lol lol, blow your face off lol" bullshit.

Sorry, but I honestly don't know.

How often do you shoot targets or threats underwater....seriously?

Same goes for the OP?

Dunderway
04-29-11, 23:06
Did any of you scientists watch the video that CLHC posted?

Do I think it's a good idea to try? No. Would I like some input from someone who isn't just speculating and has some actual knowledge? Yes, and that was the OP's point.

uwe1
04-29-11, 23:07

Same goes for the OP?

After watching the second linked youtube video, he at least knows that if he is shooting a threat underwater, it must be no farther than three feet away if he wants to get good penetration!:laugh:

chadbag
04-29-11, 23:07
Saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MA1IFKwdAQ

That was interesting...

Dunderway
04-29-11, 23:11

Same goes for the OP?

Never. I don't plan on doing space travel anytime soon either, but that doesn't keep me from reading about NASA. We've got a lot of shipboard personnel on this board. I won't speak for them, but when I was in the position for a possible abandon ship this is a piece of knowledge I would've liked to have had in my pocket.

There is plenty of good info on this board that you and I will never need.

BCmJUnKie
04-29-11, 23:19
[QUOTE=BCmJUnKie;985663]if it shoots submerged or without being drained. Maybe this will help clarify my question further

ALCOAR
04-29-11, 23:21
Roger that....someone should be along shortly who can speak on this topic regarding what it's actually like to engage a threat underwater with an AR or M16.

Since we're on the topic, what kind of regulators are you wearing with your scuba tanks when deploying underwater warfare tactics:sarcastic:

Dunderway
04-29-11, 23:28
Roger that....someone should be along shortly who can speak on this topic regarding what it's actually like to engage a threat underwater with an AR or M16.

Since were on the topic, what kind of regulators are you wearing with your scuba tanks when deploying underwater warfare tactics:sarcastic:

I ran with the OP's question because it's something I have always wanted to know. If your mind runs straight to some 007 underwater firefight fantasy, then maybe that says something about you.

I was stationed on a Vietnam era ship which regularly caught fire in the middle of the night. Each lifeboat had at least one M16. Google "USS Indianapolis" for a possible application.

uwe1
04-29-11, 23:42
It doesn't change that according to the second video, a 55 grain projectile will make it only about four feet before stopping. What's the fawking point of firing the damn thing underwater then?

Unless...you're hiding underwater and shooting out and away?

Dunderway
04-29-11, 23:46
Because if it functioned without harming the operator, it would most likely be devastating when fired point blank.

I'm not saying this would have any large application, but it could be a good thing to know.

Icculus
04-30-11, 00:11
Because if it functioned without harming the operator

In that one case. It also didn't show them breaking down the weapon afterwards to see if anything was trashed inside.

I've also video clips on some of those "Most Extreme" shows where people have smacked the ground after their chute didn't open and got up and walked away. It doesn't make jumping out of plane without a parachute a good idea.

Skyyr
04-30-11, 00:21
Looks like an HK416 can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwkHktkTxU&feature=related

ZRH
04-30-11, 03:09
Looks like an HK416 can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwkHktkTxU&feature=related
That's not 'underwater,' it's OTB. You notice they don't shoot any of them with the bore full and the muzzle underwater? The water in the BCG of the Colt probably blocks the vent holes and boom.

I'm thinking that a M2HB, G3, Vz.58 would be even better.

SWATcop556
04-30-11, 03:42
In short, no. There are reason that .mil still put plastic baggies or at the bare minimum condoms over the barrel.

You might get one shot off underwater but the chances of disaster and personal injury are very high. Shooting any firearm underwater I'd damn near pointless.

With that being said this one is done.