PDA

View Full Version : BattleComp and frangible ammo

tb1911
04-29-11, 23:49
I am planning on shortening the barrel on my 5.56 ACR to 16" with a permanently attached compensator. I was looking at both the PWS FSC556 and the BattleComp. Based on user comments here, I was about to "pull the trigger" on the BattleComp when I read about potential damage with non-jacketed frangible ammo. In the winter, I shoot a lot of frangible ammo in indoor ranges. So, I have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with.

- Is the damage concern with frangible ammo only a BattleComp issue, or is it a potential problem with other compensators like the PWS?

- Jacketed MilSpec 62-grain frangible ammunition is acceptable in the BattleComp - Anyone know where/if that is available for purchase and if just the bullets are available for reloading? I have had no luck finding either.

Thanks!

Icculus
04-30-11, 00:31
- Is the damage concern with frangible ammo only a BattleComp issue, or is it a potential problem with other compensators like the PWS?

- Jacketed MilSpec 62-grain frangible ammunition is acceptable in the BattleComp

Ok I am straying way out of my lane so please take this with a whole pound of salt. I think the problem is that the non-jacketed frangible bullets can partially break apart when chambering. They then start to come apart before they exit the barrel and would be a concern on any comp/fh that is partially closed in on the end like the battle comp.

As far as ammo, I would contact BCE but you might could try looking around for some of this in addition to the mil stuff

http://www.ssarmory.com/556ammunition-2-3.aspx

TOM1911
04-30-11, 01:30
The above statements are accurate and any non-jacketed, frangible ammo can have the potential for catastrophic damage to any baffled type of brake or compensator. If frangible is the only bullet type your range specifies, then stick with a jacketed type if you are going to use a closed end comp.. Just one question, if you are chopping the barrel to 16 inches, Why a permanent install of a comp? Or, is the total going to be 16" with the comp?

Surf
04-30-11, 02:49
Battle Comp directly states that you shouldn't use frang ammo with their comp. I will also attest to this from first hand experience that you should not do it either. I did this with a T&E comp on purpose and verified strikes and divots on the lip of the BC.

tb1911
04-30-11, 17:00
The above statements are accurate and any non-jacketed, frangible ammo can have the potential for catastrophic damage to any baffled type of brake or compensator. If frangible is the only bullet type your range specifies, then stick with a jacketed type if you are going to use a closed end comp.. Just one question, if you are chopping the barrel to 16 inches, Why a permanent install of a comp? Or, is the total going to be 16" with the comp?

16" including the comp. That way no hassle.

B Cart
04-30-11, 17:12
Ok I am straying way out of my lane so please take this with a whole pound of salt. I think the problem is that the non-jacketed frangible bullets can partially break apart when chambering. They then start to come apart before they exit the barrel and would be a concern on any comp/fh that is partially closed in on the end like the battle comp.

This^^. I was at a indoor Police shooting competition between a bunch of local SWAT teams. I saw one guy's SBR become totally usesless after a round of frangible ammo came apart and somehow jammed his gun all up. I wasn't able to inspect it too closely, so I'm not sure what exact damage it caused, but it nevertheless rendered his M4 completely useless in the middle of the competition. I heard a bunch of the guys talking afterword and they said it was caused by the non jacketed frangible ammo.