PDA

View Full Version : My new barrel on my M4?

TigerStripe
08-12-06, 15:33
The new barrel on my M4 seems to only like two loads. Remington green & white box 55gr fmj and a 75gr load. It patterns Radway Green like a shotgun, by far the worst load for this barrel. Is this how the barrel is going to be, will it break in more and get better or ....

TIA,

TS

Diz
08-12-06, 15:41
Could be the RG, not your piece.

TigerStripe
08-13-06, 00:13
The barrel I had before liked it. Basically everything the old barrel liked the new barrel doesn't except for 75gr loads. :confused: Thanks Diz!

TS

ChromeLined
08-13-06, 01:03
what kind of barrel?and what twist rate?chromelined or not? or stainless?

TigerStripe
08-13-06, 01:19
what kind of barrel?and what twist rate?chromelined or not? or stainless?

Oops... It's a CMMG M4A1 Socom 1:7 14.5 w/ Phantom 5C2 Chrome-lined. I'm not really a newbie. The old barrel was/is the first barrel I've shot out. Usually I grow tired of one AR, sell it and buy a new one. Some to my great lament.

Thanks,

TS

ChromeLined
08-13-06, 04:34
Damn that barrel should shoot anything from 55 grain to 77 grain and even 80s with a 1x7..plus its a medium weight..the only thing I can think of is maybe find out how the rifling is done..I know Bushmaster button rifles the bores..I forget how H&K does theirs but I would think that it should be grouping well with anything.I have an M4 profile 1x7 Bushmaster barrel that groups great with any weight bullet up to 77..I havent tried anything heavier than that.Ive heard horror stories about radway green ammo mostly doing damage to ARs but ive never used it my self.

As far as breaking in chrome lined barrels dont realy need a break in...doesnt mean the lining is perfect although I would think that was rare.Barrel could be over tourqed but as long as its grouping in say 2 to 4 inches at 50 to 100 yds thats still good for a combat rifle in my opinion.try other loads like federal xm193 or even wolf.What size are your groups? and at waht distance with what load?I used to be like that get tired and sell it off for a new one...then I started holding on to em and now I have 4.I know CMMG barrels ive heard people complain about finish but they are suposed to great quality..4150 steel,individualy prrof load tested LMK about the group size oh and how many rounds did it take to shoot out the old barrel and was it chrome lined?just curious ive yet to shoot one out usually its just a want to change one and not a need..thanks...Dave

M4arc
08-13-06, 06:18
What do you mean by it doesn't like it? Are you having reliability issues? If you're having accuracy issues give us some idea about group sizes and such.

Robb Jensen
08-13-06, 06:35
The new barrel on my M4 seems to only like two loads. Remington green & white box 55gr fmj and a 75gr load. It patterns Radway Green like a shotgun, by far the worst load for this barrel. Is this how the barrel is going to be, will it break in more and get better or ....

TIA,

TS

Radway Green has a SS109 bullet. These have the steel penetrator. I can't think of any SS109 bullets that are really accurate including the US militarys M855 ammo. Decent 55gr like Amercian Eagle, Black Hills etc will pretty much always be more accurate.

If you pull 10 different bullets from the Radway Green cartridges you'll likely see 10 different weights. This is military grade ammo, it's not made for extreme accuracy.

TigerStripe
08-13-06, 16:40
By "not like" I mean not shoot accurately. Groups at 25 yards were:

Remington GWB 55gr- 1 or 2 MOA

WWB 55gr- 3 to 6 MOA

XM193- similar to WWB

Wolf M193- Similar to WWB

Q3131- Similar to WWB

Radway Green- 10 to fifteen MOA

HSM .223-17T 1.5 MOA

Not accurate enough for me from a bipod at 25yds. If I didn't happen to have the Remington, a good zero would be difficult. One of the few times that I am as accurate or more than my gun.

Thanks,

TS

08-13-06, 22:10
Do you mainly shoot your AR at 25 yards?

TigerStripe
08-13-06, 22:35
Do you mainly shoot your AR at 25 yards?

No. It's a new barrel I was doing an initial zero and experienced some somewhat shocking accuracy, or lack thereof. Why?

TS

ChromeLined
08-13-06, 23:09
The radway green..thats horrible..that ammo must be crap.for a 14.5 I have mine zeroed in at 50 yds using the sanchez battle zero so I know its good out to 200 yds.At even 25 yds though..85% of the time thats probably where your gonna have a gunfight anyway.Ive heard stories from Iraq that most engagements are taking place at 30 to 50 feet..thats under 25 yds for sure..close in combats been that way sice ww2 and before im sure.The only shots that go long range are snipers or soldiers using their M4s out side its performance envelope like hitting guys at 4 and 500 yds and wondering why there not staying down.Hell if im goin 500 yds its gonna be .308 from my M14 type.

TigerStripe
08-14-06, 00:37
The radway green..thats horrible..that ammo must be crap.for a 14.5 I have mine zeroed in at 50 yds using the sanchez battle zero so I know its good out to 200 yds.At even 25 yds though..85% of the time thats probably where your gonna have a gunfight anyway.Ive heard stories from Iraq that most engagements are taking place at 30 to 50 feet..thats under 25 yds for sure..close in combats been that way sice ww2 and before im sure.The only shots that go long range are snipers or soldiers using their M4s out side its performance envelope like hitting guys at 4 and 500 yds and wondering why there not staying down.Hell if im goin 500 yds its gonna be .308 from my M14 type.

True. I usually use the IBZ @ 50yards. It's just easy to start at 25 and see where it's hitting.

TS

Yojimbo
08-14-06, 08:16
Have you checked with CMMG to see what groups they are getting with the ammo they recommend? Once you find this out put the same ammo through your gun and see how it does.

Doing this will at least give you some way to compare your barrel's results to a known good barrel from the manufacturer.

IMHO, it sounds like something is not right with that barrel...

TigerStripe
08-14-06, 12:13
I've asked. I haven't gotten a reply yet.

TS

TigerStripe
08-14-06, 22:17
I don't know exactly what happened but it shot fine today. It was most likely partially my fault and partially it being new. I hit a Dr. Pepper can at about 25 yards standing five out of five times with Radway Green before I left my "range".

Thanks gentlemen!

TS