PDA

View Full Version : NRA Gets Stupid

Joseywales
10-04-07, 19:00
It seems now days there are a lot of people committing career suicide. Republicans supporting anti-gun laws, illegal immigration invasion, amnesty, anti-death penalty, and anti-war stupidity.

Now the NRA is jumping on the band wagon. Another great organization, the NRA is the only organization that can lay claim to the reason why our Second Ammendment Freedoms are still recognized today. But they do very stupid things too. HR2460, originally designed to reform NICS, how has more anti-freedom language in it.

The NRA has forgotten it's montra to enforce the laws on the books and not create new ones. Yet they are busy negotiating away our freedoms with the democrats, like the language on loosing the right to own a gun, forever, because of supposed "mental defect".

They first assume that the government will be narrow with the interpretation of this law. Good luck with that! They then assume by the nature of the language that no person can be "healed" of a mental defect. If this is the case, then why have psychiatric help at all?

We already have laws on the books to prevent people in a mental hospital from owning guns. The problem is (1) the government no longer locks away the mentally ill and prefers that they walk our streets, (2) the government paroles felons, and (3) that they government is all about control. No where in the constitution does it construe the government to have these powers. But for some stupid and insane reason we have given the federal government all of the power and virtually no responsibility. A dangerous combination.

Now here is where my anger comes in. The average American gun owner or military person is not stupid enough to drink the cool aid on this bill and is pissed at the NRA for defending it; rightfully so. The NRA, arrogantly, is getting upset at people calling them on their stupidity and has the audacity to post stories on their web site supporting the bill and saying that gun owners fighting the NRA are causing more damage than the anti-gunners.

“Misguided NRA bashers are doing a better job of helping the anti-gun movement than the anti-gunners could do themselves,” writes Evan F. Nappen.

What the NRA does not realize is that the term "A determination by a court,
board, commission, or other lawful authority..." means or can be construed to mean a school board. And "other lawful authority.." can also take on any meaning that a state or local legislature gives it.

Maybe the NRA should just accept that the only good gun bill is one that grants more freedoms and does not provide a way to construe anything to limit them. Oh well, I barely recognize this country any more....what more should I expect of my NRA.:rolleyes:

nationwide
10-04-07, 19:06
"gets"?????????????? :confused:

KintlaLake
10-04-07, 20:27
Until March of this year, I worked full-time for the equivalent of the NRA -- different constituents and different subject matter, but with comparable passion for freedom, national stature and involvement in the legislative process.

Among the lessons I learned during my years in the advocacy business is that organizations like the NRA are caught between fanning skepticism for politicians, legislators and regulators, while reigning-in skepticism for its positions on the issues.

Case in point: the widespread misunderstanding of H.R.2640 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.02640:) and the NRA's position on the bill.

Rather than drone on in my own voice here, I'll present links to the NRA Fact Sheet (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=219&issue=018) on the "NICS Improvement Amendments Act," and the NRA article "Clearing the Air on the Instant Check Bill." (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Articles/Read.aspx?id=246&issue=018)

For another (non-NRA but pro-RKBA) perspective, here's "Gun Bill Not Anti-Veteran." (http://www.military.com/opinion/0,15202,151321_1,00.html?wh=wh) It begins: "There is no such thing as the 'Veterans Disarmament Act.' There is no pending legislation that would take firearms away from veterans. There is no pending legislation that would prevent a person with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), veteran or not, from purchasing a firearm or ammo."

Skepticism is a good thing; facts are better. With both in-hand, disagreement is manageable.

One point in the original post -- wariness about "interpretation"-- is spot-on. Once a bill is signed into law, it's wise to keep an eye on how the bureaucrats translate legislative language into regulatory language. Legislative victories easily can become regulatory defeats, and vice-versa.

Striker5
10-05-07, 06:50
I think the NRA is like the leprosy dude in Braveheart. "You will publicly support this rebellion with our forces in the north while I oppose it with our forces from the south."

KintlaLake
10-05-07, 17:41
"You will publicly support this rebellion with our forces in the north while I oppose it with our forces from the south."

That's pretty typical of the political process, though, isn't it?

When it works, anyway. ;)

All my life I've been looking for a simple zero-sum game. Haven't found one yet.