PDA

View Full Version : trying to quiet down my 6.8

kenner
05-01-11, 12:20
Hello;

I just put together a nice 6.8 rifle for hunting, I shot it yesterday to see how loud is was going to be without hearing protection, not good, my ears are still ringing, is there anybody that makes a flash hider or something besides a surpressor to make this thing at least shootable withiut hearing protection?

Thanks
kenner

elkknuckle
05-01-11, 13:20
Anything that lowers the sound signature is by definition, a sound suppressor. So, no.

OMD
05-01-11, 14:23
Closest you can come to that (other than a longer barrel to get it further from your ears) is a linear comp, which dumps the gases forward only, increasing perceived recoil slightly, but pushing the sound to the front of the shooter, instead of the sides. Totally legal, as it does not quiet the noise, but merely directs away and here is a link:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=524840

05-01-11, 16:28
Buy a electronic headset.

kenner
05-01-11, 18:59
I do have a pair of electronic hearing protectors, they will not stay on your head very long when your crawling around in the woods and swamps.
kenner

vinsonr
05-01-11, 19:17
derp. I can't read I guess. missed your 'without buying a suppressor' bit

But, nothing will make it shootable without hearing protection besides one. Even if you had all of the sound going forward, there is still the supersonic crack of the bullet to contend with. Repeated exposure to *only* that is likely enough to hurt your hearing.

If local laws are not an issue, I'd say save up $1200 (this would include nfa tax and adapter) or so and pick up an AAC 762-SDN-6. You could run that can on anything from 5.56 (and lower I suppose) to 7.62.

kenner
05-01-11, 19:31
I'm really bumbed out over this, I live in a state that surpressors are not legal, I might dump the whole thing if I cannot enjoy shooting a deer rifle without hearing protection.
Thanks
kenner

vinsonr
05-01-11, 19:47
Suppressors are legal here in TX, but we still cannot hunt with them. That's a bummer too.

Magic_Salad0892
05-02-11, 12:56
SureFire. Earpro, flash hider, or suppressor.

Suwannee Tim
05-02-11, 13:19
What have you shot deer with previously that you found tolerable without hearing protection?

On that DPMS flash hider, I have one, not with me as I am at work, but if you get one make sure the hole in the end is at least .277. PM me and I will measure mine.

hunt_ak
05-02-11, 13:29
What have you shot deer with previously that you found tolerable without hearing protection?

On that DPMS flash hider, I have one, not with me as I am at work, but if you get one make sure the hole in the end is at least .277. PM me and I will measure mine.

Thats what I wanna know...

Man, I'd have a hard time thinking that shooting any centerfire cartridge w/o protection is a good idea. My brother and I use these (http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/qb2hyg)when out hunting in Alaska. Very lightweight, easy to use, and IMO, if its not brown with sharp teeth and claws and hell bent on giving you a taste test, then you can find the 3 extra seconds to protect your hearing.

ITS JUST NOT WORTH IT

Suwannee Tim
05-02-11, 19:14
I use these (http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/qb2hyg) too but not so much for shooting but if I did hunt I would use them.

The DPMS flash hider i.d. is .277. Who'd of thunk it? There is plenty of room to drill it out, I would think about .300 or maybe a little less. Piece of cake in a lathe but maybe not with a drill motor. The standard 'ol 118 degree split point drill bit is bad for grabbing under such circumstances.

JasonM
05-03-11, 10:44
You will get serious hearing damage from any rifle.
Period.

Get a set of these:
http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

DocGKR
05-03-11, 11:27
As JasonAAC notes, ALL unsuppressed supersonic centerfire rifle calibers are going to cause hearing damage to unprotected ears, irrespective of barrel length or muzzle device. Period.

bobbo
05-03-11, 12:24
+1 on the Sonic Defenders. I have a pair and I find them quite effective and comfortable to wear for extended periods.

Suwannee Tim
05-03-11, 20:53
You will get serious hearing damage from any rifle....

Some are worse than others and some are really, really bad. After your hearing is shot you won't get it back and you will be sorry.

TXBob
05-04-11, 00:07
Some rifles are worse than others, but ear protection is a must for ANY. (as stated by others).

I have notice that muzzle brakes tend to amp up the noise (even with protection). The standard A2 flash hiding seems ok, or just take the thing off and do a normal crowned barrel.

My family laughs at me for wearing hearing protection while hunting. But then again, they can't hear me over the sound of how awesome I am. Or they went deaf.

I Double up indoors (plugs+muffs) except for ranges with better baffles. For competetion I go muffs only, but that's because there usually isn't a .357 or 44mag around (well except me) and the place I shoot has good sound baffles.

Take care of yourself.

BaronFitz
05-06-11, 07:34
Once when I was young and dumb, I let loose a .303 British without any sort of protection. I only did it once but the whole side of my head rang. Combine that with scarring from repeated ear infections as a kid and too many rock concerts in college and I have some hearing loss as well as tinnitus that's noticeable when things get really quiet.

I hate to say it, but if your muffs are falling off from normal use, you probably need to get some nicer ones. The higher end ones from Sordin are waterproof, low profile so they don't mess up your cheek weld, and if you crank up the amplification you can hear a squirrel fart while remaining protected against gunfire.

kenner
05-07-11, 23:23
The hearing muffs I have are Sordins, people, I know enough not to shoot a firearm without hearing protection, I just thought their might be some type of brake or flash hider that would help this loud beast that I was not aware of, anyway thanks for all of the imput.
kenner