PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about this reloading instructional video...

Fried Chicken Blowout
05-01-11, 13:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AfKR5cyqi4&feature=player_embedded#at=422

So as you can see in the video he is sizing, decapping, priming, loading powder and seating a bullet all in one run through his progressive press. He states that his cases are lubed prior to the run through the press. This seems to break all the rules I know about.

So how does he get the lube off his loaded cases? How does he know if the case length is too long after sizing? Can the primers be damaged by case lube being in the primer port? I'm I being over critical? I would love to have loaded .223 in one run through my press and not worry about case length. But I've been told that I my cases have to be cleaned of lube prior to loading and I have a Dillon Rapid Trim that sizes and trims them all as needed. Seems like I'm doing a lot of unneeded work if I can do what he's doing.

What say you all?

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-01-11, 15:13
If you use a spray on lube that drys with out any sticky residue your good to go. You can call sinclair int and ask them or call dillon there are lubs that work in this aplication you just need to ask the right people.

Fried Chicken Blowout
05-01-11, 17:42
That may be my problem. I use the RCBS lube and it's a total mess. It's like spray glue, but works well to keep the brass from sticking in the die.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-01-11, 18:06
That may be my problem. I use the RCBS lube and it's a total mess. It's like spray glue, but works well to keep the brass from sticking in the die.

I used that stuff at first, its what came with my basic kit when I started 6 years ago but I have found much better stuff now. Why dont you look at 0ne shot, dillion 5000, imperial sizing wax etc all better than the RCBS stuff for sure.

Boxerglocker
05-01-11, 19:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AfKR5cyqi4&feature=player_embedded#at=422

So as you can see in the video he is sizing, decapping, priming, loading powder and seating a bullet all in one run through his progressive press. He states that his cases are lubed prior to the run through the press. This seems to break all the rules I know about.

So how does he get the lube off his loaded cases? How does he know if the case length is too long after sizing? Can the primers be damaged by case lube being in the primer port? I'm I being over critical? I would love to have loaded .223 in one run through my press and not worry about case length. But I've been told that I my cases have to be cleaned of lube prior to loading and I have a Dillon Rapid Trim that sizes and trims them all as needed. Seems like I'm doing a lot of unneeded work if I can do what he's doing.
What say you all?

I really don't see the issue other than he is probably having to sort the previously fired cases by hand to determine a current case length range maximum, making sure that the sizing won't stretch then beyond max case length.
The lube can simply be tumbled off with dry media in a tumble after loading. I use Horandy One Shot lube for all my pistol rounds and don't even bother to tumble it off for practice rounds. I may for match rounds.
I do size and trim in a separate operation using HOS lube and have thought of streamlining the process such as Gavin (he's a local guy to me, see him a various matches) is doing for plinking rounds. BTW, I use a a RT1200 to trim too. Personally, the gains I see is you don't need to even gauge or measure any of the brass. Run it through and it will as you say trim as needed.

chadbag
05-02-11, 01:51
. But I've been told that I my cases have to be cleaned of lube prior to loading

who told you this?

and I have a Dillon Rapid Trim that sizes and trims them all as needed. Seems like I'm doing a lot of unneeded work if I can do what he's doing.

What say you all?

Your problem (and mine, at least for now as I use the Dillon trimmer as well) is that the trimmer does not fit on the toolhead with all the other stations, otherwise you could. (I am investigating using the RCBS X-die small base sizing die to avoid needing to trim -- I have the die finally but no time yet to mess around with it)

Use a spray lube and keep it out of the primer pockets.

I have used my RL 550B to load 6.5x55 and 303 and other rifles all in one go. But I don't trim those etc.

markm
05-02-11, 09:01
I tried loading that way when I first got started. It can be done, but I prefer to break the process down... sizing, trimming, and priming off the Dillon.

And thus I load on the progressive with clean, primed, sized and trimmed brass. Less distractions and primer jams and all the other ass aches. I can focus on the powder charge and know every round I kick out is good.

I've even started sizing pistol brass off the Dillon. It keeps the progressive much cleaner and again... I'm not fighting the primer feeding system and getting distracted from watching the powder charge.