PDA

View Full Version : i just got my x300 for my rifle,...

cvriv
05-02-11, 04:48
... and I love it. Before mounting it to my rifle i mounted it to my glock and was totally wow'ed by it. It looks so cool. I'm thinking about getting another for the glock but I'm wondering how practical it is to have a weapon light on a pistol? I don't ccw or use it as a service weapon. I'm just wonder how many of you have a weapon light on your pistol?

SteveL
05-02-11, 10:06
I don't have one on my carry pistol, but an X300 won't fit on an M&P compact. I do have one on my full sized M&P at home, but I rarely have that pistol with me. They do seem to be pretty common though. Here's a thread you might want to read through.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=49481

SeriousStudent
05-02-11, 20:26
... I'm wondering how practical it is to have a weapon light on a pistol? .....?

How practical is a pistol without a light?

If you use it on a fun gun for the range, it's not practical at all.

If you ever need to defend yourself or a loved one, they can be quite the handy piece of gear.

I own 5 - three on carbines and two on pistols, and I've ordered another.

cvriv
05-02-11, 21:22
Well,... I think Im goign to get another one for my glock. I use my glock for home defense and for range and soon,... matches. Thanks guys.

jenrick
05-02-11, 22:51
I run a TLR-1 on my off duty pistols, a G34 and H&K USP .45. With a good holster it's zero problem to keep it concealed off duty. As far as a house gun, having a light is a necessity for dealing with things that happens in the dark.

-Jenrick

cvriv
05-02-11, 23:02
True,.... but if im running a light they will know im there. I would rather them not know I was there. But I do agree though.

eo500
05-02-11, 23:04
IMO every weapon that you plan to use for home defense NEEDS a light.:big_boss:

jenrick
05-02-11, 23:12
cvriv: If we are using the light in a reactive situation (99.9% of all civilian/LE shootings) the threat already knows where we are and has initiated the attack. I want to be able to find the threat and finish the fight. I can shoot at where the threat was and might still be (assuming a muzzle flash), or I can shoot where I know they are because I have light to find them.

-Jenrick

OneInchPunch
05-02-11, 23:23
on G&R's site the x300 is listed at 170 lumens, then farther down it is listed as 110 which is it?

X300 features a high-efficiency LED that generates 170 lumens

Max Output 110. lumens

thanks OIP

Pax
05-03-11, 00:29
on G&R's site the x300 is listed at 170 lumens, then farther down it is listed as 110 which is it?

X300 features a high-efficiency LED that generates 170 lumens

Max Output 110. lumens

thanks OIP

I believe that Surefire recently upgraded the X300s such that they now produce 170 lumens. Older generations produced 110 IIRC. If you purchase one directly from Surefire, you can be fairly certain that you will receive one of the newer 170 lumen models. Cant guarantee what you will receive if you buy through one of their dealers, though. Perhaps you could try contacting Grant through his site or here on M4C and requesting info on his X300s..

oef24
05-03-11, 00:36
I am sure Grant has the newer version of the Surefire X300 with 170 lumens. He would also be the guy I would recommend if you are interested in getting one. JMHO.

O

TehLlama
05-03-11, 01:01
They're both around the same brightness, SF has been known to underrate LED units as well.

A small, efficient light is always an advantage, and if you set up the switching properly, you'll be able to have the option to leave it off, run it momentary, or run it constant. I like how the DD Front sight immediately behind the X300 runs, but as long as you find a combo that works, go with that.

5 Rings Tac
05-03-11, 01:03
I would echo the advice given by most of the other previous posts. A light attached to your handgun can be a valuable asset in a home defense situation. The extra bulk will not matter because you are not carrying the gun. Might as well have the light attached!

As far as giving away your position, you probably don't want to run around with the light on the entire time. Learning how to operate and when to activate the light while you navigate around your house will greatly improve your advantage over any intruders. It's always good to be able to actually see the bad guy.

I say get another!

Fitzghan
05-03-11, 14:59
I think there is serious value to having a dedicated weapon light on your carry or home defense handgun.

1. It allows you to positively ID the threat or nonthreat which would cause unwanted life altering consequences!

2. It actually IMHO enhances the shootability of the gun by adding weight near the front of the muzzle...read less muzzle rize and faster follow up shots.

3. An often overlooked advantage is it offers a muzzle stand off at contact distances keeping your weapon from going out of battery. Press the front of your autoloader into anything without it and your weapon will not fire.

4. Dedicated weapon lights allow you to use all the standard techniques you normally train for and can be used with one hand when your other is injured or busy doing something else.

Unless you are stalking and killing people the person you need to shoot probably already knows you are there. Training is the answer to using a light properly and effectively.

cvriv
05-03-11, 15:31
If the intruder most likely knows im home why would they even bother entering my home? Thats is unless they are there to solely harm me.

Rattlehead
05-03-11, 17:03
If the intruder most likely knows im home why would they even bother entering my home? Thats is unless they are there to solely harm me.

:confused:
Just buy a 170 lumens X300 and be done with it.
You need a light for home defense.
It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Chances are however that you WILL need it.