PDA

View Full Version : So Long Blue Label Glocks...

SteyrAUG
05-02-11, 16:45
Expect it to become much harder to lay your hands on a LE model Glock even if you are actually LE.

Glock has tightened requirements to get LE Glock models in an effort to prevent them from ending up on the open market. In the past you simply had to show a LE purchase request letter to become a LE dealer.

Now you must become a Glock retail stocking dealer with a minimum purchase of 15+ Glock model handguns (and I'm assuming these won't be sold at the LE price) and you have to provide Glock with copies of the officers LE ID and the complete 4473 for every sale of a LE model Glock.

As most dealers (myself included) aren't going to jump through all those hoops for the opportunity to possibly make $10-20 dollars they simply will stop offering Glocks.

Currently LE sales were 95% of the only Glock sales I was doing anyway, making $20 profits on each one. Retails sales of Glocks have been dead for years given that dealer price is about $500 ($440 + 2 day air shipping from most wholesalers) and people thought $525 was a ripoff price for a standard Glock model.

I suspect FN is going to win the LE market.

Abraxas
05-02-11, 16:52
Not saying it will happen but I would like to see S&W become the dominant player or any American company.

Littlelebowski
05-02-11, 17:02
I shot FNX9 this weekend. Don't think FN is going to win against Glock.

SteyrAUG
05-02-11, 17:15

I don't think it is a better gun, but it just got really hard for your average LE guy to buy a Glock.

Fire_Medic
05-02-11, 17:26
I don't think it is a better gun, but it just got really hard for your average LE guy to buy a Glock.

Funny my local LE dealer didn't mention this today when I went by, however, this particular dealer has been a "stocking" dealer for a very long time so it most likely won't affect them.

Fried Chicken Blowout
05-02-11, 17:28
Why wouldn't you assume that S&W will dominate. They have a wicked easy LE program with dealers like OMB and Bud's Police stocking and selling everything at the LE discount for LE, Fire, Paramedics and Mil. S&W is the way to go and I would think most people will see that.

pennzoil
05-02-11, 17:33
I'm guessing this will hurt being able to find GSSF discounted pistols as they have to be blue label?

Another change by Glock I noticed in the Glock Report. The new GSSF rules as of 5/1 stating that you have to be a member for at least a year before being able to purchase a pistol at the membership price seems retarded. Having to wait a year though means you may actually have a chance to get your membership card and info before you can purchase a pistol. I used to recommend GSSF to people getting into Glocks but not really worth it now. New customers are over rated anyway right?

one
05-02-11, 17:43
Won't change anything here. My agency purchases directly from Glock.

We kept getting screwed over by the LE dealer we had always purchased from so dropped them. Evidently a number of agencies felt the same way and complained because that dealer is no longer a Glock dealer.

SkyLine1
05-02-11, 17:45
Do you think this move is because of the problems with the Gen 4s?

I mean if they are not selling enough to LE customers due to performance issues and unwillingness to upgrade to the Gen 4, they need to make up the profits. Loosing sales and they make it harder for people to purchase at LE pricing to offset the loss. Forcing the public and LE to purchase at market prices. Robing Peter to pay Paul?

Just a thought...

TriumphRat675
05-02-11, 17:56
Not to derail the thread, but I just bought a G19 and had to fill out, initial and sign a form with a Glock company header stating the seller had shown me how to field strip it, clean it, etc. The dealer said Glock required them to have the form filled out and return it to Smyrna. I imagine that form is in response to product liability lawsuits... Has anyone else seen this?

Fire_Medic
05-02-11, 18:02
Not to derail the thread, but I just bought a G19 and had to fill out, initial and sign a form with a Glock company header stating the seller had shown me how to field strip it, clean it, etc. The dealer said Glock required them to have the form filled out and return it to Smyrna. I imagine that form is in response to product liability lawsuits... Has anyone else seen this?

I was told of this recently but had not seen it, but was also told Glock has 3-4 lawsuits filed against them a day, I found that very alarming to say the least.

philcam
05-02-11, 18:02
If regular dealers are paying $440 wholesale on a Glock and the LE price is less than wholesale, could this be Glocks response to some LE dealers who are violating their agreement with Glock and selling blue label guns to the public at retail prices?

SteyrAUG
05-02-11, 18:13
Funny my local LE dealer didn't mention this today when I went by, however, this particular dealer has been a "stocking" dealer for a very long time so it most likely won't affect them.

Stocking dealers will only be effected in terms of the new procedure for selling to LE buyers. It is only the dealers who are NOT stocking dealers or don't intend to become stocking dealers who will no longer get LE Glocks.

SteyrAUG
05-02-11, 18:18
Why wouldn't you assume that S&W will dominate. They have a wicked easy LE program with dealers like OMB and Bud's Police stocking and selling everything at the LE discount for LE, Fire, Paramedics and Mil. S&W is the way to go and I would think most people will see that.

They might.

Won't change anything here. My agency purchases directly from Glock.

We kept getting screwed over by the LE dealer we had always purchased from so dropped them. Evidently a number of agencies felt the same way and complained because that dealer is no longer a Glock dealer.

And that's a shame. Many dealers would have loved to have your business.

If regular dealers are paying $440 wholesale on a Glock and the LE price is less than wholesale, could this be Glocks response to some LE dealers who are violating their agreement with Glock and selling blue label guns to the public at retail prices?

Actually it is more dealers selling LE Glocks are market price and being able to actually make a slight profit. But essentially you have the issue correct. Bottom line is the guys who expect to buy Glocks for about $450 anytime they wish are in for a rude awakening.

Littlelebowski
05-02-11, 18:30

You mean buy a Glock on discount.

I'd predict M&Ps winning over FN any day of the week.

skyugo
05-02-11, 18:39
i suspect glock will keep selling every single pistol they make for quite awhile... weird move though... :confused:

skyugo
05-02-11, 18:39

the FNP9 i shot was the biggest piece of shit i've handled in quite awhile.... :o

edit- i would love to see S&W get more LE contracts.. i'm a glock guy, but i like the M&P and love to see the business going to a deserving US company.

Fire_Medic
05-02-11, 18:56
Stocking dealers will only be effected in terms of the new procedure for selling to LE buyers. It is only the dealers who are NOT stocking dealers or don't intend to become stocking dealers who will no longer get LE Glocks.

A move like this has actually been a long time coming, because of many dealers out there doing unethical things with these "LE" Glock pistols.

I have seen many times where some dealers have taken the third mag out of the package and sold the mag at full retail to others, and also where some dealers have sold these Glock to Joe Schmoe on the street at full retail and made a nice profit.

It's like being at basic, or the academy, or wherever, if a few misbehave, everyone pays the price.

As has been echoed already in this thread, I would like to see S&W do better in the LE market as well, they're priced the same this year as Glocks for LE folks, and the regular retail came down on many of their different products to be more competitive.

rathos
05-02-11, 19:12
Maybe it will be harder for them to buy through a dealer, but you can just order direct from glock for much less then I have seen at "stocking" LE dealers.

ST911
05-02-11, 20:13
Dealer shenanigans with LE guns have been going on for a long time, and no one should be surprised at any such changes to their accountability.

The effect on the individual LEO and agency is nil. This will be a minor inconvenience to those dealers already doing healthy LE business. Those who have been well above-board, exceeding minimum standards, and have been following past contractual guidelines will likely require no changes at all.

FN has some good people and good product, but they're not any measure of a threat, or even a competitor worth noting, to GI. They don't publish their numbers, but I suspect their annual handgun orders don't equal one months of GI. People go to FN for some things, and GI for another.

SteyrAUG
05-02-11, 21:41

No, I mean harder to buy a LE Glock period as only stocking dealers who qualify for the LE program will now have them. Obviously anyone will still be able to buy a red label Glock so I may be overstating the situation a bit.

And M&P very well could do it. I think my statement was more about quality than marketing, I think FN guns are higher quality than M&Ps. But as someone already stated, the M&P LE program is one of the better ones out there.

hk45ctp30
05-02-11, 22:45
I work at a large gunstore in New Mexico. We have been selling Gen 3 Glocks for $499.00 w/o night sights, and $569.00 for tritium night sights. We now sell the Gen 4 Glocks w/o night sights for $569.00. Surprisingly enough, most people are still buying the Gen 3 pistols without night sights instead of the more expensive Gen 4 guns.

Stickman
05-02-11, 23:03
The effect on the individual LEO and agency is nil.

Exactly.

When you look at the prices Glock is doing for departments to keep them in Glocks, S&W is going to have a long road ahead of them.

glocktogo
05-02-11, 23:25
They might.

And that's a shame. Many dealers would have loved to have your business.

Actually it is more dealers selling LE Glocks are market price and being able to actually make a slight profit. But essentially you have the issue correct. Bottom line is the guys who expect to buy Glocks for about $450 anytime they wish are in for a rude awakening.

This.

Everyone should be able to buy $450 Glocks anytime they wish. Glock has the market cornered on arrogance. As someone who used to work at a stocking commercial and LE dealer, I can tell you that Glock doesn't care one bit about whether anyone but Glock makes money. I'm not saying that's wrong, but to those who are calling the dealers unethical, I'd say you don't have the whole picture. Glock causes a LOT of headaches for those dealers who dare to sell their products, especially the LE guns. I've sold blue label guns to select members of the public on numerous occasions. Those occasions were almost always an attempt to cover lost revenue when we used a white label gun to fill a LONG backordered gun for a LEO who was tired of waiting their turn, when he could see the exact same gun sitting in our display case! I mean, WTF???

LEO's love the Glock LE program, but dealers hate it. If they would just sell all of their guns for one low price, they'd probably make just as much money, if not more. The supply chain would be streamlined and they'd stop driving their dealer network nuts. I wouldn't say dealing with Glock is as bad as dealing with Sigarms, but do they really want to be compared to the worst, rather than the best?

None of what I've stated here should be considered a knock on their guns. I love the gun, I just hate the company that sells them. :mad:

l8apex
05-03-11, 00:32
I can see your point, but FN win LE? That's a tough one.

184SFS
05-03-11, 03:41
The company I operate will no longer be stocking GLOCKs, but not because of this move but because of their lack of customer service as of here lately. We had an officer come in with a problem with his "duty" glock. When we went through it we noticed that the barrel cut out on the end of the slide was out of tolerance. So we figured no problem, we'll call glock. Well we got in touch with a rep who told us to give him the serial number & he would call us back. 1 week no return call, so we call back, on the phone for 45 minutes to be hung-up on. When we get through again we get in contact with another rep, when we talk to him he was a pain. He said that he would send out another slide but how did he know he'd get it back once they fixed the officer's slide. He also said it wasn't his issue/problem that the officer & his department only qualified on one sidearm! At that point I told him we would be leaving their dealer program due to poor quality of their current handguns & reps. I then called the Chief of the officers department, ok'd it with him for us to exchange the defective pistol. I will have glock's transferred in but will no longer push them, we push the M&P and SIG's.

platoonDaddy
05-03-11, 04:03

Last week purchased a Gen 4 G19 that was shipped from Ed's to my FFL and didn't fill out any Glock forms.

Whiskey_Bravo
05-03-11, 08:32
I'm guessing this will hurt being able to find GSSF discounted pistols as they have to be blue label?

Another change by Glock I noticed in the Glock Report. The new GSSF rules as of 5/1 stating that you have to be a member for at least a year before being able to purchase a pistol at the membership price seems retarded. Having to wait a year though means you may actually have a chance to get your membership card and info before you can purchase a pistol. I used to recommend GSSF to people getting into Glocks but not really worth it now. New customers are over rated anyway right?

Yeah, I bought a new G19 last week before the new GSSF change and was able to sign up and purchase the gun the same day at the GSSF price. The dealer told me that as of the 1st, people will have to wait 1 year before they can purchase.

On a side note, is it only one gun per year at the GSSF price?

edit: I also didn't have to fill out any Glock forms on field stripping etc.

pennzoil
05-03-11, 09:40
Yeah, I bought a new G19 last week before the new GSSF change and was able to sign up and purchase the gun the same day at the GSSF price. The dealer told me that as of the 1st, people will have to wait 1 year before they can purchase.

On a side note, is it only one gun per year at the GSSF price?

edit: I also didn't have to fill out any Glock forms on field stripping etc.

Yes only 1 discounted pistol per calendar year and good to hear you got in on time. Know some people that are new GSSF members and got hosed by this change due to lack of any real notification prior to the effective date.

SHIVAN
05-03-11, 09:47
Maybe if they just cut the crap altogether and offered the Glock with three standard capacity mags to everyone, @ a fair price to everyone -- like somewhere between MSRP and LE pricing, they could cut the overhead costs for their dealers and themselves.

Instead, it sounds like some $40k++/year clerk just got job security reviewing compliance on LE dealers -- where Glock could probably have cut that job otherwise.

Oh well...does that also effect individual MIL sales/pricing/availability?

C4IGrant
05-03-11, 09:50

FN has a striker fired gun coming. While FN might not beat Glock, I know that they will give people something to think about.

C4

C4IGrant
05-03-11, 10:01
The company I operate will no longer be stocking GLOCKs, but not because of this move but because of their lack of customer service as of here lately. We had an officer come in with a problem with his "duty" glock. When we went through it we noticed that the barrel cut out on the end of the slide was out of tolerance. So we figured no problem, we'll call glock. Well we got in touch with a rep who told us to give him the serial number & he would call us back. 1 week no return call, so we call back, on the phone for 45 minutes to be hung-up on. When we get through again we get in contact with another rep, when we talk to him he was a pain. He said that he would send out another slide but how did he know he'd get it back once they fixed the officer's slide. He also said it wasn't his issue/problem that the officer & his department only qualified on one sidearm! At that point I told him we would be leaving their dealer program due to poor quality of their current handguns & reps. I then called the Chief of the officers department, ok'd it with him for us to exchange the defective pistol. I will have glock's transferred in but will no longer push them, we push the M&P and SIG's.

We hear this a lot about Glock and SIG. I know of several instances where a PD or SO chose Glock or SIG over the M&P, but due to lack of support, they went with the M&P.

S&W has the best (dedicated) LE sales force in the ENTIRE INDUSTRY. They know what they are talking about and honestly care about getting their LE customers taken care of. This wins contracts.

I have also dealt with SIG and GLOCK LE reps. Must say that they were some of the rudest AHOLES I have come across to date.

C4

The_Count
05-03-11, 10:05
The new GSSF rules only prevent new members from purchasing during their first year if they sign up for a single year. If a new member signs up for multiple years they can purchase as soon as they receive their cards ( Membership Card and Coupon Card). These rules took effect on 05/01/11.

TC

beastfrog
05-03-11, 11:55
Let's see, I joined GSSF in the fall specifically to be able to purchase a Glock at $425. Tried and tried to get a pistol locally but the local guys could not get the one I wanted. Now it looks as if Glock just plain doesn't want my business. Oh well, this combined with the GEN4 problems just confirms that the M&P is what I shall run.

Littlelebowski
05-03-11, 11:57
Let's see, I joined GSSF in the fall specifically to be able to purchase a Glock at $425. Tried and tried to get a pistol locally but the local guys could not get the one I wanted. Now it looks as if Glock just plain doesn't want my business. Oh well, this combined with the GEN4 problems just confirms that the M&P is what I shall run.

So you joined a competitive shooting organization not to compete but to save money, don't care enough to research and find out that the Gen3s are still being produced, and are on here whining about a hundred dollars savings meaning that somehow Glock "doesn't want your business?"

Whine much?

msigette
05-03-11, 12:38
Anyone know when this will take effect? Because I got my Glock 19 a couple months ago for 399 and if they are not going to be offering that price i might have to go buy a couple more first.

The_Count
05-03-11, 12:50

If you look at the GSSF website you can find a list of participating dealers. If your dealer wasn't on that list I'd suggest checking out the other dealers. Unfortunately, you have waited too long to purchase. As of May 1 the GSSF Pistol Purchase Program underwent a rules change. You will now need a coupon to purchase from your participating dealer. I would suggest you drop them an email at gssf@glock.us and request your coupon. It usually takes four weeks to receive it. If however you are not interested in using the coupon I would be happy to take it off your hands. :smile:

TC

msigette
05-03-11, 13:22
thanks for the info and i guess the prices arnt too bad i thought they would go up to the 600 they want at the local scheels. I was also wondering how this is going to work for military, do they just get their coupon like everyone else or what?

beastfrog
05-03-11, 13:24
Whine much?

Just merely adding my observation about Glock as a company. Seems to me, my observation is on topic with this thread.

Calling GSSF a competitive organization is a little bit of a stretch. It's really little more than a marketing scheme.

I know the rules. Saw the GSSF change weeks ago. I would shoot GSSF if there were any matches in my area - there aren't!

Who said I didn't do any research? Probably do more than most when it comes to purchases. In case you missed it, the 19 gen 3 is no longer on the GSSF list.

Nothing wrong with joining an organization to get a better price. It's within the rules (or used to be).

beastfrog
05-03-11, 13:26
If you look at the GSSF website you can find a list of participating dealers.

Hasn't been this way for a while. Here is what I did:

From GSSF: "Member contacts GLOCK for local dealer information, then calls the dealer to be sure they are
participating in the program and that the dealer has the model they want to purchase in stock."

Renegade
05-03-11, 13:36
Now you must become a Glock retail stocking dealer with a minimum purchase of 15+ Glock model handguns (and I'm assuming these won't be sold at the LE price)

They are sold for less than the LE price when I was in the program. 15 really is not that many, I wish I could get a few hundred at that price.

Retails sales of Glocks have been dead for years given that dealer price is about $500 ($440 + 2 day air shipping from most wholesalers) and people thought $525 was a ripoff price for a standard Glock model.

This is a regional thing. Here in Texas most Standard Glock models sell at retail for $439-$499.

Also, most of the largest Glock sellers are not Stocking dealers, and have nothing to do with Glock HQ. Being an LE dealer is a waste of time.

The_Count
05-03-11, 13:40
Hasn't been this way for a while. Here is what I did:

From GSSF: "Member contacts GLOCK for local dealer information, then calls the dealer to be sure they are
participating in the program and that the dealer has the model they want to purchase in stock."

To be clear... I am only trying to pass on info. You can, in fact, purchase a from a GSSF dealer that is not local to you. Also, its possible that the omission of the Gen 3 Glock 19 was a mistake.

Check out the last page.

http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_PISTOL_PURCH_LIST.pdf

TC

Whiskey_Bravo
05-03-11, 15:04
Yes only 1 discounted pistol per calendar year and good to hear you got in on time. Know some people that are new GSSF members and got hosed by this change due to lack of any real notification prior to the effective date.

Thanks, that is what I figured.

Abraxas
05-03-11, 15:38
We hear this a lot about Glock and SIG. I know of several instances where a PD or SO chose Glock or SIG over the M&P, but due to lack of support, they went with the M&P.

S&W has the best (dedicated) LE sales force in the ENTIRE INDUSTRY. They know what they are talking about and honestly care about getting their LE customers taken care of. This wins contracts.

I have also dealt with SIG and GLOCK LE reps. Must say that they were some of the rudest AHOLES I have come across to date.

C4

I love hearing things like this.

SteyrAUG
05-03-11, 17:40
Maybe if they just cut the crap altogether and offered the Glock with three standard capacity mags to everyone, @ a fair price to everyone -- like somewhere between MSRP and LE pricing, they could cut the overhead costs for their dealers and themselves.

Too simple. Makes too much sense. Never gonna work.

SteyrAUG
05-03-11, 18:04

I have no experience with them. But don't they have a spotty reputation when it comes to quality?

msstate56
05-03-11, 18:41
Let me get this straight- people are who are not LE are complaining that they can no longer get a pistol at the LE price? I think the Glock LE pricing is a great thing. I have personally purchased several off duty and backup pistols using my discount. Because of the price given to LE, many cops have been able to purchase, and more importantly carry, backup and off duty weapons that they otherwise wouldn't have. If the special price makes some of my fellow officers buy a "baby" Glock and carry a backup or off duty, I think that's a good thing.

Most of you know that LE is very poorly rewarded for our long hours on the street, so I greatly appreciate the discount. That said, I understand that I can get an M&P at LE price, but I've tried them (at full retail price on my dime) and didn't like them. If S&W announced that they we going to tighten restrictions on their LE dealers, would we still have this conversation? Or is this just a hate on Glock because I'm not a cop and I want the cop price thread?

Renegade
05-03-11, 18:53
Because of the price given to LE, many cops have been able to purchase, and more importantly carry, backup and off duty weapons that they otherwise wouldn't have

I find it hard to believe that a price difference of about $30-$40 is the difference between having a backup/OD weapon or not having one.

The price break is nice, but it is not much.

Most of you know that LE is very poorly rewarded for our long hours on the street, so I greatly appreciate the discount. ... Or is this just a hate on Glock because I'm not a cop and I want the cop price thread?

If you read what the OP wrote, you would have seen it was a pro-cop post, lamenting that it would now be harder for cops to get guns at discount.

SHIVAN
05-03-11, 18:59
Too simple. Makes too much sense. Never gonna work.

Of course you're probably right. Silly logical thinking.

Irish
05-03-11, 19:00
Most of you know that LE is very poorly rewarded for our long hours on the street, so I greatly appreciate the discount..... Or is this just a hate on Glock because I'm not a cop and I want the cop price thread?

I don't think it's a "hate on Glock thread" nor is it a whine about how much you get paid thread either.

Spiffums
05-03-11, 19:03
I always felt that the program was abused. It started as a break for the guys who have to supply their own gear and turned into a "I want a new gun because I get a discount and don't want to pay full price".

SHIVAN
05-03-11, 19:04
Most of you know that LE is very poorly rewarded for our long hours on the street...

My life, and family's lives, is worth more than $600. I'd pay the full price, no matter what job I held, or how much I made there.

I liked having the blue label Glocks available. I didn't qualify for the pricing schemes, but getting the three mags was nicer -- even @ full price. Now Glock expects the 4473 to come in with the ID? Yeah, ok....

Furthermore, how about the LE/MIL that make 80k to 100k+ and have ten or more Glocks all bought at "LE discount" pricing? Legit or abuse?

As I said, offer the blue label guns at an intermediate price and you'd satisfy all your bases. Including the huge civilian market you're going to piss off...

msstate56
05-03-11, 19:43
I agree that the program has been abused. I guess that caused this move by Glock. The program is offered to LE regardless of how much you make. I don't care if it's a boot rookie or the chief. If you're a cop and buy 10 Glocks at the LE price, I don't think it's abuse because that's the target of the program. If you know anything about cops, they are some of the most penny pinching people around. A lot are not gun people. Some would not carry a backup, but do now because they could get it cheap. I'm happy to spend my money on weapons and ammo, even though I'm not independently wealthy like Irish.

SHIVAN
05-03-11, 20:06
If you're a cop and buy 10 Glocks at the LE price, I don't think it's abuse because that's the target of the program.

Agreed, but under the auspices you describe. At some point, it's got to be considered personal collection augmentation. Which I guess is Ok too. I just do it at full price when it's filling a want, versus a need.

SteyrAUG
05-03-11, 20:08
Anyone know when this will take effect? Because I got my Glock 19 a couple months ago for 399 and if they are not going to be offering that price i might have to go buy a couple more first.

Already in effect.

msstate56
05-03-11, 20:29
Agreed, but under the auspices you describe. At some point, it's got to be considered personal collection augmentation. Which I guess is Ok too. I just do it at full price when it's filling a want, versus a need.

You're right. After a certain amount it would be abuse under LE purchase as well. I would say that after the purchase of a duty gun and a second duty weapon and a backup it may be an abuse. I've purchased more than that, but I don't have Glocks falling out of the closet either. I purchase a lot of other weapons and ammo at regular price, so maybe my karma balances out?

DaBigBR
05-03-11, 20:34
I have never purchased a blue label Glock at a retail store. Every single one of them have been done with dealers out of state. I have always considered the minor inconvenience of an approximate one week processing time (assuming my model is in stock) to be part of saving $150-$200 off of local retail prices.

I do NOT see FN gaining much traction. First and most importantly, the lion's share of the LE gun industry is agency purchases. Glock and S&W are pretty much giving new guns to agencies in exchange for their old ones. One of the somewhat "invisible" driving factors behind the success of Glock, Sig, S&W, and a handful of other companies is the manufacturer's willingness to support their users beyond the factory. All of the successful manufacturers provide armorer courses and ordering channels for parts. Why do you think there aren't that many Springfield XDs out there? No armorer support and very limited parts availability.

glocktogo
05-03-11, 22:10
Let me get this straight- people are who are not LE are complaining that they can no longer get a pistol at the LE price? I think the Glock LE pricing is a great thing. I have personally purchased several off duty and backup pistols using my discount. Because of the price given to LE, many cops have been able to purchase, and more importantly carry, backup and off duty weapons that they otherwise wouldn't have. If the special price makes some of my fellow officers buy a "baby" Glock and carry a backup or off duty, I think that's a good thing.

Most of you know that LE is very poorly rewarded for our long hours on the street, so I greatly appreciate the discount. That said, I understand that I can get an M&P at LE price, but I've tried them (at full retail price on my dime) and didn't like them. If S&W announced that they we going to tighten restrictions on their LE dealers, would we still have this conversation? Or is this just a hate on Glock because I'm not a cop and I want the cop price thread?

Most of the hate isn't directed at the LE program, but the crappy way Glock manages it. It puts dealers in a bad bind frequently and pisses off both LE and civilian customers. People don't give a shit about the $60 dollars. They get pissed when they see the gun they want on the dealers shelf and the dealer has to tell them, "Sorry, you can't buy that one because that's an LE model and we don't have that one in stock for you". Or, "Yes that's the one you want, but you can't get the LE discount on it unless you're willing to wait for the LE model to come in, which could be months".

It's a ****ing label for Christ sakes, not a completely different gun! :mad:

nickdrak
05-03-11, 22:34
I seriously doubt Glock's LE sales will suffer much from this new policy. Unless FN comes up with a modern striker fired pistol platform they wont be a contender. I hope S&W benefits from this though. They have a great product line (M&P pistol) and their support has been superb since introducing the M&P pistol to the market.

S-1
05-03-11, 23:53
I do NOT see FN gaining much traction. First and most importantly, the lion's share of the LE gun industry is agency purchases. Glock and S&W are pretty much giving new guns to agencies in exchange for their old ones.

Yep. Free in this economy is very attractive.

One of the somewhat "invisible" driving factors behind the success of Glock, Sig, S&W, and a handful of other companies is the manufacturer's willingness to support their users beyond the factory. All of the successful manufacturers provide armorer courses and ordering channels for parts. Why do you think there aren't that many Springfield XDs out there? No armorer support and very limited parts availability.

Springfield isn't the only company that suffers because of no armorer support. H&K has taken a huge hit because of it too, and because of the lack of support for replacement parts.

A City PD in my area recently changed their firearms policy from allowing all major brands (HK, SIG, Beretta, Glock, XD's, M&P's and various 1911's) to only allowing SIGs, M&P's and Glocks in 9mm, .40 & .45. The guns that were discontinued are grandfathered in if you had them before the change, but all of the rookies are limited to those three manufactures.

msstate56
05-04-11, 01:05
A City PD in my area recently changed their firearms policy from allowing all major brands (HK, SIG, Beretta, Glock, XD's, M&P's and various 1911's) to only allowing SIGs, M&P's and Glocks in 9mm, .40 & .45. The guns that were discontinued are grandfathered in if you had them before the change, but all of the rookies are limited to those three manufactures.

Is this because they have dept. armorer support for those weapons? Or did they just want to narrow the list for simplicity's sake? Just curious.

Alaskapopo
05-04-11, 02:08
Not saying it will happen but I would like to see S&W become the dominant player or any American company.

No problem with Smith but I want the company that makes the best pistol to be the dominant player regardless of country of origin. No room for having brand loyalty to american companies on equipment that you may have to depend on to live. Only the best will do. As to the OP I was recently visted by two Glock reps and its easy to get blue label Glocks up here so I am not worried.
Pat

S-1
05-04-11, 03:30
Is this because they have dept. armorer support for those weapons? Or did they just want to narrow the list for simplicity's sake? Just curious.

I don't know the specifics, but I would guess it has to do with both of those.

DaBigBR
05-04-11, 11:06
Yep. Free in this economy is very attractive.

Springfield isn't the only company that suffers because of no armorer support. H&K has taken a huge hit because of it too, and because of the lack of support for replacement parts.

Absolutely. H&K is somewhat in between the norm and what Springfield is doing. You can take an armorer's course, and you can order parts, they just take forever to get. Their market share is probably a reflection of that and their prices.

HK45
05-28-11, 19:45
I find it hard to believe this is really going to impact Glock in any significant way and the idea that FN will succeed them is nonsensical. I buy Glocks at Mil prices and just bought a Gen 3 17 with no problem at all. But if I had to pay $499 instead I'm sure I could swing it somehow...

jamaicanj
05-29-11, 09:34

I went thru this identical process last year when I picked up my pistol from the gssf dealer in Miami.

Fire_Medic
05-29-11, 10:18
I went thru this identical process last year when I picked up my pistol from the gssf dealer in Miami.

They have been doing that forever, since they first started selling Glocks, it is nothing new.

Dale Gribble
05-29-11, 10:33
Noob question:
Is there a difference between LE Glocks and non-LE Glocks or is it just a pricing/marketing thing?

double_r76
05-29-11, 12:25
They have been doing that forever, since they first started selling Glocks, it is nothing new.

I just bought my 3rd LE/Blue label Glock from my local dealer this week and had to fill out that form for the first time. When I asked if this was a new policy, he stated that this policy had always been in effect but that there was new scrutiny on strict compliance in the program.

As for multiple gun purchases being abusive, if Glock thought that was the case, then they would put limits or restrictions on the program. It's their program to run as they see fit. I've bought plenty of blue label guns, and they are all in my safe. The only problem I would have is if someone was puchasing them for resale.

-Randy

Fire_Medic
05-29-11, 14:58
I just bought my 3rd LE/Blue label Glock from my local dealer this week and had to fill out that form for the first time. When I asked if this was a new policy, he stated that this policy had always been in effect but that there was new scrutiny on strict compliance in the program.

As for multiple gun purchases being abusive, if Glock thought that was the case, then they would put limits or restrictions on the program. It's their program to run as they see fit. I've bought plenty of blue label guns, and they are all in my safe. The only problem I would have is if someone was puchasing them for resale.

-Randy

Please re-read my post AND the quoted text, you took one part of it and obviously didn't get everything out of it. I was speaking to "j" about a specific dealer in Miami, not every dealer out there that sells Glocks. I have no clue how things are done where you live or anywhere else because I do not live in that area, nor purchase handguns there.

double_r76
05-29-11, 23:14
Please re-read my post AND the quoted text, you took one part of it and obviously didn't get everything out of it. I was speaking to "j" about a specific dealer in Miami, not every dealer out there that sells Glocks. I have no clue how things are done where you live or anywhere else because I do not live in that area, nor purchase handguns there.

I probably got more out of it than you think. Your reply to "j" followed his response to "TriumphRat675". "TriumphRat675" was sharing his experience about his local dealer and asking what everyone else had seen. "j" and YOU relayed your experience about YOUR specific dealer in Miami. I then relayed my experience about MY specific dealer in San Antonio.

I was telling the forum (specifically "TriumphRat675") that my local dealer had the same policy as your local dealer. I'm not sure how you misconstrued that I was asking you anything about how things are done where I live or purchase handguns. However, feel free to call my reading comprehension into question any time. I'm not above admitting when I've made an error or skimmed over a topic too quickly, but this wasn't one of those times.

Sorry about that.
-Randy

kmrtnsn
05-29-11, 23:40
FN has a striker fired gun coming. While FN might not beat Glock, I know that they will give people something to think about.

C4

I think a FN striker-fired pistol will be the death knell for SIG as the company once was. If SIG survives after abandoning the LE market it will look a lot like Springfield Armory.