PDA

View Full Version : OLYMPIC Arms 9mm uppers anygood?

keatsabn
10-05-07, 08:14
Does anybody have a OLYARMS 9mm upper? I spoke to them yesaterday and the guy said that with OLYMPIC Arms 9mm uppers you DO NOT have to change anything. I can use the same buffer and spring same hammer and do not need a mag well adapter. There mags come with an adapter already attached to the mags. Do these work well? They are 525.00 with one Mag (32rd) and extra mags are 70.00.

markm
10-05-07, 09:19
If the quality is half as bad as their .223 guns, I'd say forget it!

Some people go with OLY cuz they make oddball caliber conversions.... But 9mm isn't hard to find with a better company. There's plenty of decent options if you want a 9mm carbine. Rock River would be a much wiser choice.

ST911
10-05-07, 09:29
Does anybody have a OLYARMS 9mm upper? I spoke to them yesaterday and the guy said that with OLYMPIC Arms 9mm uppers you DO NOT have to change anything. I can use the same buffer and spring same hammer and do not need a mag well adapter. There mags come with an adapter already attached to the mags. Do these work well? They are 525.00 with one Mag (32rd) and extra mags are 70.00.

Recommend you pass. Those that I've seen have not done well.

keatsabn
10-05-07, 09:53
Who would you guys go with?

keatsabn
10-05-07, 10:46

M4arc
10-05-07, 10:55
Rock River Arms

chp5
10-05-07, 16:22
Gotta go against the crowd here. I would never buy an Oly 5.56, but my Oly 9mm upper has been great.

100% reilable, accurate enough for what I use it for (close range speed work - often on steel), and uses cheap, easy to find Sten mags with a mag block. You can use it on any 5.56 lower without changing hammers or buffers.

I also like the design where the mag is all the way up against the front side of the mag well - instead of the middle of the mag well like RRA's. Although my opinion on that design is only based on theory and could be wrong.

I've personally seen several RRA and Colt 9mm's jamming up. It doesn't mean they're bad and I'm not slamming them. It just seems like they can often use some tweaking before they are 100%.

ST911
10-05-07, 21:36

Your best chance of getting a correctly manufactured and assembled gun that works is the Colt 6450.

The RRA is serviceable as well, and would be my second choice. Some report excellent service from them.

C4IGrant
10-06-07, 08:34
Your best chance of getting a correctly manufactured and assembled gun that works is the Colt 6450.

The RRA is serviceable as well, and would be my second choice. Some report excellent service from them.

Agree. Colt is the first choice followed by RRA.

C4

chp5
10-06-07, 11:10
keatsabn - see this thread too: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38