PDA

View Full Version : Small rifle primers

lgh
10-05-07, 11:28
I'm about to start relaoding for my AR and have a queston about the small rifle primers. Does anyone have any practical experience with the different types? I'm referrring to practical dfferences between std, magnum, and military. CCI also makes a benchrest small rifle primer. I'm aware of the dimensional and hardness differences but what do these mean in actual practice? Is there a downside to the military type?

Larry

Submariner
10-05-07, 16:22
Scroll down for dimensions. (http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php)

I plan to use one of the offerings with a slightly larger diameter for some Federal brass i was given, as they are reputed to have primer pocket issues.

Hoplite
10-05-07, 18:17
Are you reloading for a precision rifle or for a mil type AR?

I reload for .223 target shooting, I've tried about all the major primers, FedM, CCI, CCI BR, REM and WC. I like CCIBR and FEDM. I use Rem and WC brass tho. In my accuracy experiments, the primer choice did not affect group size as much as the bullet or powder choice.

The last primer I would use for my accuracy shooting would be a mil primer.

I've never tried magnums or mil primers, I have no reason to use them in my situation. Hopefully someone has and can relate his experience for us.

But, in the end it all depends on what kind of shooting you intend to do...
and that the primer fits the brass you use. You don't want a loose fitting primer. If the primer goes in loose, just chuck that case.
Submariner is making the correct choice for his brass.

I saw an article that showed the flash characteristics between different types of primers thru stop action photo's. Some primers cause a larger, longer flash than others.

Hope that helps a little...

Kurt Reifert
10-08-07, 08:36
CCI military primers have harder cups and come close to magnum primers in their perfomance. They are designed to prevent slam fires in rifles that use a free floating firing pin and have full auto or burst capabilities and the extra punch is there to be sure the round goes bang.

Many hi-power shooters use Remington small rifle benchrest primers. The give excellent, consistent performance and are relatively inexpensive as far as benchrest primers go.

They work well in the AR type rifles without having to worry about slamfires. A slamfire in an NRA hi-power match gets you DQed for that match.

I use Rem sm rifle benchrest primers for all of my .223 loads

lgh
10-08-07, 13:17
Thanks, guys. That was useful.

Larry

durka
10-08-07, 13:34
Your reloading books should call for the use of a magnum or standard primer depepnd on the powder used.

I have no experince with the CCI military primers in my own reloads, only the CCI 400 and 450's

toddackerman
10-08-07, 17:13
Your reloading books should call for the use of a magnum or standard primer depepnd on the powder used.

I have no experince with the CCI military primers in my own reloads, only the CCI 400 and 450's

Make sure you get a documented answer from one of the reliable ammo makers I.e., Hornady, Federal, Remington etc. or get one of the beter eloading manuals. Hornady, Sierra, etc.

Magnum primers are hotter and create more pressure than standard.

I use WW Small Rifle Primers for all of my 5.56/ .223 loading with excellent results.

Tack