PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Army Selects Gen.4 G17's and 26's

TOrrock
05-03-11, 14:44
It's a sad day when SIG looses their home country's military.

Swiss Army Selects Glock as New Service Pistol (http://www.ammoland.com/2011/05/03/swiss-army-selects-glock-as-new-service-pistol/)

SMYRNA, Ga. --(Ammoland.com)- Today, GLOCK Ges.m.b.H. located in Deutsch-Wagram, Austria, announced that the Swiss Army has chosen GLOCK as the new service pistol for the Swiss Army Special Forces.

The evaluation process was conducted by three independent elements of the Swiss Army: The Army Reconnaissance 10 (AAD 10: Armee Aufklärungsdetachement), a specialized unit of the Swiss Army (Special Forces) and the Swiss Military Security Agency (MilSich) tested the capabilities and efficiencies of the GLOCK pistol in the field of operations, while the technical evaluation was handled by the national evaluation and procurement agency “armasuisse”.

The GLOCK Pistol models ultimately selected were the GLOCK 17 Gen4 and GLOCK 26 Gen4 9×19 semi automatic pistols, as well as the Blue GLOCK Training pistol, the GLOCK 17T Gen4 and GLOCK 26T Gen4 which will have the ability to fire both FX and ATK Force on Force marking ammunition.

Complete article in the above hotlink.

KhanRad
05-03-11, 15:02
Lack of innovation beyond the limitations of their current production line keeps kicking Sig in the butt.

Abraxas
05-03-11, 15:10
It's a sad day when SIG looses their home country's military I have the same feelings myself for our own country. Now I want the best no matter who or where it is made, I just think it is sad given we should be able to produce an yet we seem to be lacking.

TiroFijo
05-03-11, 16:00
Good pick!

I just hope they fixed the G4 bugs... or perhaps they have already figured them out?

KhanRad
05-03-11, 16:25
Good pick!

I just hope they fixed the G4 bugs... or perhaps they have already figured them out?

Shoot 9mm NATO and you're good to go.

SteyrAUG
05-03-11, 17:38
Does Swiss SIG even make the 22X series anymore?

JHC
05-03-11, 18:47
Good pick!

Maybe they just networked with the ATF re their heavy duty tests.

Moose-Knuckle
05-03-11, 18:53
Great news to me as I am a GLOCK guy. But yeah, kind of sucks that a Swiss company would loose to the Austrians.

I'm just glad the Swiss are allowed to choose their weapon and not told be happy with what they are provided with.

Gen 4's huh, I would like to see data from their's and the BATFEs selection proccess. . .

TOrrock
05-03-11, 20:18
Does Swiss SIG even make the 22X series anymore?

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure it's all German.

Beat Trash
05-03-11, 21:21
Sig loses out to Glock in Switzerland.

FN loses out to the S&W M&P in Belgium.

What's next?

Moose-Knuckle
05-03-11, 21:42

What's next?

US adopts a Kalashnikov based service rifle. :p

Timbonez
05-03-11, 21:44
"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

Movie quotes aside, if the selected firearm suits each country's needs then good.

SteyrAUG
05-03-11, 22:05
US adopts a Kalashnikov based service rifle. :p

Well if they ever decided to go with the SCAR as the primary service weapon.

S-1
05-04-11, 20:50
A guy from Switzerland who is a member at SIGForum posted this....

SIG did not make any small arms for years. Waht's been generously called SIG pistols are "SIGSauer" branded J.P.Sauer pistols made in Germany. What's been issued to the Swiss Army was made in Germany and assembled in Switzerland.

The LRR and the security unit Glock is talking about make probably 500 men max. That's not even 1% of the entire Swiss Army. They are talking about a couple of hundred pistols not an order for the complete Swiss Army. These few Glock pistols will probably become unit property, not personal issue weapons like the P220 or the Sgt90.

The era of the P220 is getting to an end, but there's no information about when and what it's going to be replaced with. There's no information about it. The name HK was dropped several times form people that are more knowledgable then me, but let's wait and see.

It's most doubtful that you will see a large quantity of Swiss Army surplus pistols coming your way. These pistols are personal issue weapons and stay with the soldier until he get's retired form his militia duty. He/she than can keep it as personal property. I got mine that way too.

KhanRad
05-04-11, 22:14
A guy from Switzerland who is a member at SIGForum posted this....

Are the Swiss P220s in .45acp?

Beat Trash
05-04-11, 22:30
The Swiss pistol 75 is a P220 chambered in 9mm.

TOrrock
05-05-11, 18:13
Well if they ever decided to go with the SCAR as the primary service weapon.

Actually more Sullivan AR-18.....

As Beat posted, 9x19mm. Heel magazine release. I'm sure there are still some old grey beard reservist officers that still have their SIG P-210's too.

SteyrAUG
05-05-11, 22:08
Actually more Sullivan AR-18.....

Did I confuse the SCAR with the ACR again?

skyugo
05-06-11, 01:54

What's next?

hey it's whatever fits your hand :o

ZRH
05-06-11, 03:23

armakraut
05-06-11, 04:08
haw-haw!

Hopefully this inspires SIG to get off their ass and update their 1949 design.

ZRH
05-06-11, 05:23
haw-haw!

P210 is wayyyy different from 220 series. This is actually what the post I deleted was about.

MountainRaven
05-06-11, 10:15
I wouldn't be surprised if the "Not Invented Here" bug bites them in the butt on this, as occurred ~140 years ago when they attempted to adopt the Winchester 1866. Of course, a lot can change in 140 years.

S-1
05-06-11, 14:53
haw-haw!

Really?:rolleyes:

If you read the quote that I posted on pg.1, you will see that it's from a guy that lives in Swizterland, and is a veteran of their military. He said that this is an order for a couple of units that total around 500 people. An order for less than 1k Glocks does not mean that they are replacing SIGs service wide.

armakraut
05-06-11, 15:11
After owning an actual swiss army p/49 I never considered any of the Sauers as real swiss handguns anyhow. They're making the right decision in making all future handgun orders glocks, and slowly phasing out the sauers as servicemen retire. It's the same thing they do whenever they decide to buy new toys.

Magic_Salad0892
05-06-11, 18:22
After owning an actual swiss army p/49 I never considered any of the Sauers as real swiss handguns anyhow. They're making the right decision in making all future handgun orders glocks, and slowly phasing out the sauers as servicemen retire. It's the same thing they do whenever they decide to buy new toys.

I wish they'd do that here.

armakraut
05-07-11, 04:53
If I was the .mil, I would have started ordering Glocks a long time ago. A glock about the length of the 17 with the shorter grip of the 19.

Magic_Salad0892
05-07-11, 04:59
After shooting a Glock 17 with a chopped grip recently, I can say with complete conviction, that I 100% loathe that setup.

For me: It had weird balance, bad recoil characteristic, and it looked awkward.

However, a Glock 19 slide, with Glock 17 frame build would be cool. The Glock equivalent to a P30 - if you will...

No offence. Glock 19s for everybody, do all size. Ungh.

Alpha Sierra
05-07-11, 08:17
Shoot 9mm NATO and you're good to go.

My Gen 4 experience says otherwise.

Magic_Salad0892
05-08-11, 04:44
My Gen 4 experience says otherwise.

Mine doesn't. What happened to you?