PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Arms Episode on 1911

ptmccain
05-03-11, 15:43
Anyone else catch last night's Tactical Arms episode on the 1911? I enjoyed it. LAV did a nice job, even if he did lose the competition at the end, getting beat by a guy shooting one of his own personal 1911s, but, hey, it was a 100 yard shot!

OldState
05-03-11, 16:15
I saw it. I saved it on the DVR with the M4 episodes.

I love that you could see the .45 rounds in mid air. The light has to be just right at my range to see that. Stopped it to show my wife but she didn't care for some reason:rolleyes:

Timbonez
05-03-11, 21:03
She doesn't enjoy the finer things in life. Is this episode available anywhere online?

Stump70
05-06-11, 11:28
Watched that episode last year and DVR'ed it just for the end and being able to see that big 'ol slug going downrange. I frequently shoot my 1911 at 100 yards now. :D

J_Dub_503
05-06-11, 12:59
I love that show, especially the episodes on the SAW:big_boss: and the Mk12!

Here is a link to the distance shoot-out.
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid27188663001?bclid=27610463001&bctid=33510888001

markm
05-06-11, 13:52
I saw part of it. I like that LAV has a realistic view on the limitations of the 1911 and the requirements to make one serviceable... as opposed to the bravado and fanboyism you get from other 1911 users.

I had to go reload half way through the show, but it looked like a good episode.

ThirdWatcher
05-07-11, 01:16
I've got my TiVo set up to auto-record Tactical Arms... even the re-runs are a good review for me. Maybe I'm drinkin' the Kool-Aid but I like the no BS approach that Vickers and Hackathorn have. (I also listen to anything Clint Smith has to say.)

OldState
05-07-11, 13:29
Larry Vicker's has an excellent TV personality which make the show much more interesting than most gun shows.

NeoNeanderthal
05-07-11, 13:48
Yeah, i have learned a ton watching those shows and Vickers does a hell of a job. He doesn't go about with a lot of ego or bull shit. Falla and Defoor do a good job too. Clint Smith is always interesting to watch on personal defense TV but seems a little rigid and old school, but what do I know.

ryr8828
05-07-11, 15:52
I love Vicker's show. DVR every episode and save a lot of them. He's cost me buying 2 daniel defense rifles so far.
I wonder if he's getting tired of these youngsters beating him in the challenge? I respect that, a lot of tv hosts wouldn't allow footage of them being beaten, they'd pick lesser opponents.

TXBob
05-07-11, 16:07
My son, age 12, is addicted to the show (and I enjoy it too).

I saw the logo on his 1911s, I wasn't sure if it was his own line or not. ANybody else catch the white insignia on the RHS towards the end of the barrel?

I was simply curious as I'm try and stick with Spring/Colt for price purposes.

They did do a good job of the pros/cons of the 1911 and it was nice to see the LAV method to lube. The show is definitly a wealth of information.

Vickers wins more than his share though (and always keeps it close)! The MK-12 episode was interesting becuase the "Other American Guy" absolutely crushed "The Ausssie Guy" in the challange. Sorry, I'm bad with names.

SeriousStudent
05-08-11, 01:02

Vickers wins more than his share though (and always keeps it close)! The MK-12 episode was interesting becuase the "Other American Guy" absolutely crushed "The Ausssie Guy" in the challange. Sorry, I'm bad with names.

The "other American guy" would be Kyle Defoor. The "Aussie guy" is Jason Falla.

Mr. Defoor does have some experience with a rifle. His former military unit was busy working in Pakistan last weekend. It made the news - you might have heard about it.

Mr. Falla was a member of the Australian SAS and an instructor at Blackwater/USTC. He's a fine gentleman, and was the best man at Mr. Defoor's wedding.

Both are SME's and members of this board. I'm saving my sheckels to take training classes from both gentlemen.

And my daughter loves the show as well. ;)

ptmccain
05-08-11, 01:19
Note, however, Larry's remarks about lube was "for the range" ... I stick with his recommendation on grease. Works like a charm.

TXBob
05-08-11, 13:26
The "other American guy" would be Kyle Defoor. The "Aussie guy" is Jason Falla.

Mr. Defoor does have some experience with a rifle. His former military unit was busy working in Pakistan last weekend. It made the news - you might have heard about it.

Mr. Falla was a member of the Australian SAS and an instructor at Blackwater/USTC. He's a fine gentleman, and was the best man at Mr. Defoor's wedding.

Both are SME's and members of this board. I'm saving my sheckels to take training classes from both gentlemen.

And my daughter loves the show as well. ;)

Id be happy to take training or advice from either. I was just saying Kyle's performance was impressive. He didn't exactly best a chump! That is what was so significant about it Every once in a while you catch something special and that was one of em. Kyle was on that day.

SeriousStudent
05-08-11, 13:53
Oh, I agree. I enjoy watching the competitions as well. It's always fun to see a little good-natured competition at the range.

ptmccain
05-08-11, 14:26
I wish they had more time on the show, but there are so many commercials jammed into them, they are really restricted on what they can do in around 20 minutes or so.

I'd love to see more competitions using each weapon.

Oh, I agree. I enjoy watching the competitions as well. It's always fun to see a little good-natured competition at the range.

LHS
05-08-11, 14:47
There's a reason LAV is sometimes referred to as "The Human Ransom Rest." I took one of his pistol courses about a year and a half ago, and watched him nail a 75-yard, first-round, support-hand-only shot on a head plate. The man is simply incredible when it comes to shooting. I need to start looking for his show. It's always amusing to get a dose of LAV's particular brand of fun.

Larry Vickers
05-08-11, 17:39
Gents thanx a lot for the positive feedback - Kyle and Jason are both excellent shooters and it always made filming those episodes challenging as you had to be on your 'A' game for the shootoffs

Kyle took a liking to my two tone Wilson CQB which is a great shooting gun with a dialed in zero - the gun I used I had never shot at distance and the lack of a backstop so I could not see where I was hitting bit me on that walk back drill; that's what happens when you let the co host pick guns first!!

Heads up everyone; if you liked TA and TI you will love my new show coming late summer; TacTV on Sportsman Channel - a tactical guns and gear variety show with guests on the show like my bro Hackathorn and here is the best part; if you don't get the show on TV you can see it on our website- special extended versions with bonus content will be available at a low subscription price of approximately $10 a month or $100 for the year- well worth the money as training tips and web only content will be on the net

We are stoked- we think it is the future of TV and we want to be the first in the realm of firearms shows to do it

Be safe

LAV

ptmccain
05-08-11, 17:41
Larry,

Thanks, and amen to your comment about "on demand" viewing being the future.

I have never watched an episode of your show "live" but always DVR it and enjoy it later.

Great stuff, thanks.

TXBob
05-09-11, 16:26
Yes current TV setups make it very difficult to find shooting related TV

And that is on top of a very limited selection of shooting related content.

Cincinnatus
05-09-11, 16:42
I have always loved Tactical Impact on the Sportsmans Channel, and in fact, I got FIOS TV for that very purpose--to get the SPortsmans Channel. I am hacked off now that Verizon has changed their service so that my "package" no longer includes the Sportsmans Channel--Fios is getting more and more like cable.

I appreciate that the new show coming later will be available on the web via subscription. That will avoid SNAFUs like this one.

Packman73
05-09-11, 17:09
Keep up the good work Larry; I'm looking forward to the new show.:cool:

SeriousStudent
05-09-11, 18:07
Mr. Vickers - thanks very much for the heads up. I'll definitely be buying a subscription to TacTV.

And I really enjoyed the episodes where you were working with your son John. It was an excellent example of how to introduce young people to our sport.

Thank you again for your time.

ptmccain
05-09-11, 18:26
I wish DirecTV would offer the channel in high-def.

JW5219
05-11-11, 11:42
Tactical Arms is a great show and I DVR all the episodes. Love the no BS approach from LAV, Kyle and Jason. I wish any one of them would set up a class in this area so I could attend. Read a lot of the AAR's from past classes with lots of praise for all 3 guys.

TOrrock
05-11-11, 13:05
Tactical Arms is a great show and I DVR all the episodes. Love the no BS approach from LAV, Kyle and Jason. I wish any one of them would set up a class in this area so I could attend. Read a lot of the AAR's from past classes with lots of praise for all 3 guys.

If you have access to a facility to set it up, any of them will travel up there.

Hit up VA_Dinger, he sets up classes for Grey Group.

JW5219
05-11-11, 13:11
Templar, thanks for that info!