PDA

View Full Version : Build precision upper or buy?

C-grunt
05-03-11, 17:32
Now that I have my Colt 6920 for a GP carbine I am going to turn my Noveske N4 Light recce into a precision/recce/spr type weapon.

My original plan was to buy the new DD tubular handguard and a Noveske or BCM stainless barrel. I was then going to sell the N4 barrel and my Troy DI rail to recoup some of the cost.

But then I was thinking that I could just sell the N4 upper complete as is and buy the Noveske Rogue Hunter 18 inch model. That way I could probably come out of it with very little cash spent as Im LEO and get a nice discount from Noveske.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=18rh-556&cat=124&page=1&search=&since=&status=

But is the Rogue Hunter a real precision type rig or more of a hunting rifle?

Should I build the rifle or buy it pre-made?

ZRH
05-04-11, 03:01
You don't give what your choice of barrel you'd use if building one :p Makes it kinda hard to tell the advantages one way or the other. The rogue hunter uses their SPR med contour barrel, and doesn't say what kinda rail system. I'd say it's an SPRish kinda upper.

It will be "more" accurate than the N4 upper, hard to quantify though. I would feel comfortable using that barrel on an SPR build. The next step up would be a 20" hbar stainless, or a varmit style bull barrel.

Precision is relative, it's not really an arbitrary number.

C-grunt
05-04-11, 13:02
You don't give what your choice of barrel you'd use if building one :p Makes it kinda hard to tell the advantages one way or the other. The rogue hunter uses their SPR med contour barrel, and doesn't say what kinda rail system. I'd say it's an SPRish kinda upper.

It will be "more" accurate than the N4 upper, hard to quantify though. I would feel comfortable using that barrel on an SPR build. The next step up would be a 20" hbar stainless, or a varmit style bull barrel.

Precision is relative, it's not really an arbitrary number.

I guess Im not wording my thoughts correctly, a common problem for me. Im not looking for a bench rest shooter to shoot super small groups, but more of an all around "precision" style rifle similar to a SPR. Something able to make consistant hits on a silhouette target out to 600+ meters.

I was wondering though if the barrel on the Rogue Hunter 18 inch was the same as their other SPR uppers?

I guess I should just give them a call.

C-grunt
05-04-11, 13:06
Well that was easy..... The lady on the phone there is so nice.

The Rogue Hunter does use a lighter contour barrel than the other SPRs but she told me they can put the standard SPR barrel in it for the same price.

oalocke
05-05-11, 23:11
Dumb question, but have you thrown a good high-magnification optic on your N4 and tried it at 600 yards with high-quality loads? If it's got a free-float fore-end you may be surprised at how accurate it is with the barrel you have. I'd be willing to bet you could squeeze 8-9" groups out of it at that range if you do your part.

ccoker
05-06-11, 09:23
I have been toying with the idea of the 18" lightweight barrel

have you checked out their NST 18" upper?

C-grunt
05-06-11, 21:36
Dumb question, but have you thrown a good high-magnification optic on your N4 and tried it at 600 yards with high-quality loads? If it's got a free-float fore-end you may be surprised at how accurate it is with the barrel you have. I'd be willing to bet you could squeeze 8-9" groups out of it at that range if you do your part.

Yeah I think Im gonna go this route and then save up for a new barrel. The rifle is plenty accurate as it sits to hit silhouettes at longish range.

The rifle did this with a 3x ACOG on a crappy rest completely stock. Thats with stock plastic handguards.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/007-1.jpg

As you can see its a pretty accurate rifle, and I dont get to shoot distance enough to come close to outshooting this barrel. I am also setting this rifle up as more of a Recce rifle as it has a Leupold Mk AR 1.5x4 scope on it. I bet getting a free float rail would make it shoot even better.

shootist~
05-06-11, 22:45
The Noveske SPR barrel I have is much more accurate with just about any ammo than my N4 Light. I've had a 2.5-10 NF on both and shoot to 700 Meters on occasion with 77 grain SMK reloads or Mk 262 if I feel spendy. The N4 is fine, but built for a different use. (Sample of just the two.)

I would love to have one of their lighter contour SS barrels - possibly in a 16", but it would be a hard decision.

ccoker
05-24-11, 13:20
I ordered the 18" lightweight for a 3 gun build I am doing
will report back on accuracy with a variety of loads