PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight AR Build Report

dmancornell
05-03-11, 19:03
I put this lightweight build together after hearing my sisters complain about how heavy my 16" Noveske was. I brought the HK91 that day and they didn't even touch it. :confused:

Anyways, here's the build info:

- Cav Arms lower + Hogue compact pistol slip on grip, carbine buffer
- DD 14.5" lightweight upper with BattleComp
- JP Low Mass Bolt Carrier, BCM Bolt, BCM Gunfighter CH
- Aimpoint Micro T-1 with DD tall mount
- Magpul MOE handguards + Streamlight TLR-1 at 10 o'clock, Magpul Rear BUIS
- Cheap sling

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv257/dmancornell/100_0265.jpg

Total weight for everything listed above is 6.25 lbs.

The biggest issue with this build is the Cav Arms lower. Initially no magazine would drop free and the bolt catch would not work because the slot was too tight. An hour of filing resolved that issue. Everything else worked out of the box.

200 rounds last weekend with no issues. Recoil is nonexistent thanks to the BC. Prone at 100 yards, shot 20 rounds into 6 inches with M193 ammo. Ejection was at 3 o'clock. I was initially worried about using the JP bolt carrier but the cycling rate doesn't seem excessive.

I am very pleased with this build.

Cylinder Head
05-03-11, 19:49
Looks like mission accomplished. I eagerly await the sisters' range report.

duece71
05-03-11, 20:03
Nice build. The Cav Arms lower just isn't for me though. No adaptation capabilities. The grip is what you get, the stock length you are stuck with. However, if it works, then definately go for it. Your choice of upper was a good one. I like the Magpul handguards and am putting them on a future upper buy for a lower that needs a home. Was saving weight the only goal??? Just curious.

dmancornell
05-03-11, 20:10
Nice build. The Cav Arms lower just isn't for me though. No adaptation capabilities. The grip is what you get, the stock length you are stuck with. However, if it works, then definately go for it. Your choice of upper was a good one. I like the Magpul handguards and am putting them on a future upper buy for a lower that needs a home. Was saving weight the only goal??? Just curious.

It had to be reliable, more so than weight savings. Hence my concern with the JP low mass carrier, which reduces the weight feeding in new rounds, plus it has no forward assist cuts. I used an extra power spring to try to compensate for the reduced mass. As for the forward assist, I figure I haven't used it in years, so not that big of a deal.

duece71
05-03-11, 20:14
Well, good. Time to put some rounds through it. Have fun.