PDA

View Full Version : The most 1911 like Trigger

OldState
05-03-11, 23:43
After reading several threads its seems like the 3 Gun offerings from Geissele would fit the bill. Are there others to consider?

I would love to have an AR trigger that matches my carry 1911; 1/8" take up and super crisp 4lb break.

I have some concerns about the new Geissele Dynamic 3G as some reviews say its scary light with no take up. I have not used 2 stage triggers.

05-04-11, 02:54
I wouldn't call it scary light. It's light but it is manageable. I sold it (SD-3G) not because I didn't like it, but because it just wasn't my style of trigger. I wanted to try it out and I did.
Once you put your finger on it and apply rearward pressure the trigger just breaks. There's really no warning or "play" before hand.

MistWolf
05-04-11, 05:21
The SD-3G is nothing like a 1911 trigger. It's like a very smooth, short stroke DA trigger with no stacking. It gives no tactile warning that it's about to break

Iraqgunz
05-04-11, 07:38
The main question is....why?

GTifosi
05-04-11, 08:38
So that the triggers on everything you put in your hand all feel the same or at least very simular thus lending to greater consistancy and reduces the need to 'remember' what each individual one feels like or have that mental pause associated with the change in feel/pull/takup/whatever when switching from one to another perhaps?

amd5007
05-04-11, 11:54
I've used 2 sets of Rock River Arms standard single stage trigger groups and they are both extremely crisp. No creep and a clean break. As far as that goes, for a single stage trigger, I would say it is very similar to my 1911s.

Cylinder Head
05-04-11, 12:02
Depending on how light you like your 1911 triggers, I'd say Geissele SD-C and SD-E.

Littlelebowski
05-04-11, 12:02
So that the triggers on everything you put in your hand all feel the same or at least very simular thus lending to greater consistancy and reduces the need to 'remember' what each individual one feels like or have that mental pause associated with the change in feel/pull/takup/whatever when switching from one to another perhaps?

Obsessive and not worth it.

QuadBomb
05-04-11, 15:19

I think you're taking the commonality angle a bit too far. The fundamentals of pistol and rifle shooting are different enough that you won't get confused, even for a split-second, as to which you are using at any given time. Once you have the proper stance, support of the weapon, sight alignment, and sight picture, the feel of the trigger pull won't be the thing to throw you off. You'll know when you are shooting your AR15, and when you are shooting your 1911.

Sevo
05-04-11, 15:50
I too came to the AR world after shooting 1911's and wanted a 1911 like trigger since that is what I was used to. The one that felt the closest to me was the Wilson Combat single stage. Had the feeling of a "glass rod breaking" with similar pretravel, overtravel, and reset to my 1911's (Mostly WC's). However, I use the WC 3gun on my most frequently shot AR.

GTifosi
05-04-11, 15:58
Obsessive and not worth it.

I think you're taking the commonality angle a bit too far

I'm not the one asking about it or considering trying to accomplish it.
My response was mearly a possible answer to Iraqgunz's 'why?' post as there wasn't anything or anyone else up to that point explaining why one might want to do such a thing.

40Arpent
05-04-11, 16:35
I'm not the one asking about it or considering trying to accomplish it.
My response was mearly a possible answer to Iraqgunz's 'why?' post as there wasn't anything or anyone else up to that point explaining why one might want to do such a thing.

And that makes your speculation immune from others' opinions?

GTifosi
05-04-11, 16:58
Nope, not immune at all.

Everyone else was talking at me like I was stupid or something and not offering much of anything informational but managed to muster up some 'well that's dumb' type responses just the same. :shrug:

Do you have a suggestion or solution for the OP, or perhaps instead you wanna jump on my back for a ride too?

OldState
05-04-11, 18:14
Exactly!
THANK YOU!

I "grew up" with good triggers on my guns and that is what I want. 1911's are the best IMO. All my firearms have decent triggers and the Colt in comparison is horrible. If I can afford a crisp trigger without sacrificing reliability WHY wouldn't I get one? Will it make things worse?

I know its not an issue to those that have a different frame of reference but it is to me and I sure many others. A hot dog and tatter tots would fill me up just fine but I would rather have a steak and a baked potato.

Thank you for the non "why?" responses.

esskay
05-04-11, 23:13
I don't have time behind all the triggers out there, but in my experience (echoed by many others who run these) the AR Gold trigger feels the closest to a 1911 trigger. A little bit of travel, then a crisp & light break, and incredibly short reset.

Reset is noticeably shorter than the Geissele S3G (much more subtle than the Geissele's big clicking reset), and it is even shorter than one of my custom JP trigger installs which has a very short reset.

Iraqgunz
05-05-11, 07:57
People are getting way too wrapped up and spun around stuff that is completely irrelevant.

Pistols and rifles are different and trying to compare the trigger pull of some 1911 to a combat rifle is just silly.

markm
05-05-11, 08:24
This nonsense is unbelieveable. Wave 2 of the short yellow bus convoy is upon us!

mikeahe
05-05-11, 16:00
Wilson TTU single stage. Stickman has writup/review on WEVO.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

TOrrock
05-05-11, 18:02
Asked, answered.