PDA

View Full Version : Sig P229 vs M&P Compact

NewLife2626
05-04-11, 13:34
Just wanted to get your guys thoughts of these two for ccw, also what do you guys think of relieablity of the two?

DaBigBR
05-04-11, 13:43
Either gun would be plenty reliable, but they really aren't in the same class size-wise. The closest comparison to the M&P9c would be the Sg 239, and that is a single stack gun.

Of the two you listed, for CCW purposes, I woul take the 9c any day of the week.

Icculus
05-04-11, 13:46
I have both. The 229 has probably 5000 rounds through it and the M&P compact around 2000. Both have been 100% reliable (I don't count riding the slide-lock with my thumb on the 229 a pistol problem but a user problem).

For me the 229 was just too heavy for me to conceal everyday with my body type--kept pulling my pants down. The M&P compact weighs as much loaded as the 229 weighs empty. Both are of equal accuracy or at least seem that way but I'm not the world's most accurate pistol shooter.

On a side note my compact is more accurate than my full size M&P; even with the shorter sight radius.

streck
05-04-11, 14:14
For me the 229 was just too heavy for me to conceal everyday with my body type--kept pulling my pants down.

http://www.thebeltman.net/bh112.htm ;)

Icculus
05-04-11, 14:24
http://www.thebeltman.net/bh112.htm ;)

Thanks but my gun belts aren't the problem. Its the fat around my midsection :)

KhanRad
05-04-11, 19:12
The M&P is slimmer and lighter. It is also easier to shoot well and more of the pistol is corrosion resistant(sweat). Lastly, it just feels much better in the hand.

The P229 is top heavy and not quite as balanced. However, it is slightly more accurate and has a better trigger. Having used Sigs on duty for the past 11 years, and 4 of those years with a P229 .40, I prefered the M&P package after putting a thousands training rounds though it. Also look into the HK P30 or P2000.

SiGfever
05-04-11, 20:43
The M&P is slimmer and lighter. It is also easier to shoot well and more of the pistol is corrosion resistant(sweat). Lastly, it just feels much better in the hand.

The P229 is top heavy and not quite as balanced. However, it is slightly more accurate and has a better trigger. Having used Sigs on duty for the past 11 years, and 4 of those years with a P229 .40, I prefered the M&P package after putting a thousands training rounds though it. Also look into the HK P30 or P2000.

The M&Pc is a great little pistol. I had one in .40S&W and it was very accurate and comfortable to shoot. But you might want to look at one of these also.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6537/img0751wo.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
05-05-11, 12:39
Assuming we're talking about the W.German guns, I'd rather have a SIG than anything made my S&W.

P225/ or P228. (If possible one of the M-11 contract overruns that came out a few years ago.)

Some night sights, original factory German grips (80's era), SRT trigger, and you're good to go.

Evolution
05-05-11, 21:25
I loved Sigs for a long time, still think they're great guns.

However, the new railed 229's simply do not compare (for me) with an M&P Compact for CCW. Sigs heavier, bigger, and blockier. (spell check keeps flagging that but I don't know how to spell it right) Sigs are slightly more accurate, but learning to be effective with the DA/SA trigger over the M&P/Glock/HK LEM/XD trigger is a challenge.

If you're set on a Sig with a DA/SA trigger, look at the 225 or 239. Both of those guns are fantastic, and I still own a W. German 225.

For the record, my EDC has been a S&W M&P compact for three plus years now, it replaced a 239.

colombianito1021
05-05-11, 22:21
I carry a 229 on a raven holster. I love my 229. Before I was carrying a m&p 9pro. I really enjoy the 229 trigger. I also like the weight on it. Yea its heavy but it feels good and sturdy in the hands. Its also a tack driver.

Sensei
05-05-11, 23:00
The quality of the trigger pull and reset can be nearly equalized by installing the Apex DCAEK and RAM in the M&P. My P229 has a Bruce Grey reduced reset action enhancement plus tigger job and it is only a little smoother than my M&Ps with Apex parts.

As I spend more time behind striker fired pistols and 1911s, that DA trigger pull starts to feel very unreasonable - even when it is smooth and without grit.

As for reliability, they are equally reliable across the calibers. The M&P is the hands down winner of the weight competition.

eightmillimeter
05-05-11, 23:01
Compact M&P for me between those two. DAO Sig trigger is better than the M&P trigger IMO.