PDA

View Full Version : HD 870:Build-up or Mod an Off the Shelf Shotgun

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-04-11, 14:41
I saw that CDNN has 870 receivers for sale. I haven't seen just receivers for shotguns (700 rifle actions, yes) and I was thinking about which way is more economical to build a custom shotgun, building-up from this receiver, or buying a 870 HD type gun and going from there? And which receiver would you start with, they have a few that are all recently parkerized.

Express Mag Matte Finish

Express Matte Finish

Magnum Matte Finish

Magnum Wingmaster Matte Finish

Wingmaster Matte Finish

I have an 870, but it is set-up for three-gun (long barrel with mag extension) and I was thinking of a shotgun for HD, and also potentially as trunk gun for my vehicle. I'd rather have a carbine, but for the cost of running up a new rifle and the social (and wifely) concerns about running around with an "Assault Weapon", I thought a shotgun would make a nice all around tool to have at my disposal.

To keep the form factor small, I was thinking about the Folding Knoxx stocks (not the ATI) so I can keep it in something that doesn't scream "GUN". Add a white light and a side saddle and a sling.

1. What receiver would you start with? There is only about $20 difference.
2. What is needed to finish off a receiver? Barrel, stock, forend + Accessories?

Maybe it is the AR lover in me, but I'd almost rather build-up a stripped receiver than replace parts on a complete gun- but is seems that throwing away parts is usually cheaper than building up.

JEL458
05-04-11, 20:45
I would thoroughly enjoy building one up as well. I would go with the cheapest, unless you want it to be pretty. Not to side track your thread, but where did you find the receivers? Their website only has accessories. Thanks

SkiDevil
05-04-11, 21:56
FCDH

If you are going to keep in the trunk (and don't have some kind of trunk vault), then I would look for a basic used 870 Police model 12 GA shotgun.

I keep at least 2 firearms in my personal vehicle, but I am well aware if the car is stolen then they are gone.

If you are going to build something yourself for home defense, knock yourself-out and spend the money with all of the mods you desire.

Something to keep in mind, a buddy recently came across a pristine 870 Police model in a pawnshop with like new wood stocks. It is a fantastic looking shotgun and the price was reasonable.

The quality of many new firearms is becoming problematic. I would definitely find a used one or have someone who knows the gun build a custom one for you.

Best of luck,
SkiDevil

P.S. Perhaps one of our shotgun experts will chime in with a suggestion or two for you. I do recall there was a thread where at least a couple of members commented about modifying their own guns. If you search through the threads DosCylindros was one.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-05-11, 00:05
JEL- email sent with particulars on the receivers.

SkiDevil- You are right, used is the other way to go- I love the feel of a well broken in 870 :) . Just finding the right one takes time and I'm not that into searching for one.

Elkhound
05-05-11, 11:54
Going, going, almost gone. Either they did not have very many 870 receivers, or they moved off the shelf at mach 2.5. I just called them at 12:45 p.m., on May 5th, and they only had two left-both Express receivers. Not exactly what I wanted, but what the heck, I bought one anyway for a 870 Frankinbuild I plan to do.

Now, I just have to decide what parts to buy for it. I have a Mesa Tactical Urbino stock ordered, but other than that, I'm at square one of the parts acquisition stage.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-05-11, 14:20
Someone thought it was a good idea, they're all gone with no plans for more. Should have gone with my gut.

CoryCop25
05-05-11, 14:25
I bought an 870 Special Purpose Magnum for $200.00 several years ago. I added a new barrel, mag extension and other goodies and for less than $1000.00 total, I have this....

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/Guns/P1000889.jpg

I just added a red dot to it also.