PDA

View Full Version : Are Stainless pistols less reliable...

titsonritz
05-04-11, 15:59
then their carbon steel counterparts?

Stainless is known to have galling qualities and IMO seem to be not quite as smooth an identical blued or parked model, but are they less reliable?

TOrrock
05-04-11, 16:01
In 1982 the answer would have been yes. Companies like AMT and Coonan didn't realize that you needed to use different grades of stainless for the slide and frame and different heat treatments. To get the early stainless steel semi autos to run you needed to use a lithium sulfide grease as lube.

It's been a total non issue since Colt released the Government Model Series 80 Stainless in 1983.

SteyrAUG
05-04-11, 16:07
In 1982 the answer would have been yes. Companies like AMT and Coonan didn't realize that you needed to use different grades of stainless for the slide and frame and different heat treatments. To get the early stainless steel semi autos to run you needed to use a lithium sulfide grease as lube.

It's been a total non issue since Colt released the Government Model Series 80 Stainless in 1983.

So would a SS SIG frame be more desirable than an Alloy SIG frame?

titsonritz
05-04-11, 16:11
Damn dude, you're on top of it. Thanks for the info.

rdm
05-04-11, 16:13
I've heard in the late 70s, early 80s Smith experienced similar galling issues with all Stainless model 39/69 type handguns. Or was that issue exclusive to the smaller companies?

TOrrock
05-04-11, 16:41
So would a SS SIG frame be more desirable than an Alloy SIG frame?

For me, no, as it would add additional weight.

I've heard in the late 70s, early 80s Smith experienced similar galling issues with all Stainless model 39/69 type handguns. Or was that issue exclusive to the smaller companies?

I don't believe that S&W brought out a stainless steel semi auto (M659) until the mid 80's, when the knowledge of how to make a stainless semi auto run was well known by then.

Buck
05-04-11, 17:03
The S&W 4506-1 and 4566TSW are two of the most reliable and accurate handguns ever made... They are very underapericated IMHO...

Just my .02

B

awm14hp
05-04-11, 18:49
The S&W 4506-1 and 4566TSW are two of the most reliable and accurate handguns ever made... They are very underapericated IMHO...

Just my .02

B

I agree but I want to toss in my 4516 and 3913 to the 4506

theJanitor
05-04-11, 19:01
one of the smoothest guns I own is a stainless 1911. Lots of rounds through it without issue

SteyrAUG
05-04-11, 19:38
For me, no, as it would add additional weight.

Let me rephrase. Would stainless be stronger/more durable/longer lasting than alloy?

sniperfrog
05-04-11, 19:51
I've seen plenty of aluminum alloy Sig 226 frames with over a hundred thousand rounds on them and they still work fine. I've seen them with chunks taken out just from general use and abuse. Never saw one fail because it was alloy.

legumeofterror
05-04-11, 21:22
Let me rephrase. Would stainless be stronger/more durable/longer lasting than alloy?

Alloy frames will eventually fail, as aluminum has no fatigue limit. Even under low stress cycles it will fail at a certain number of cycles, where with steels there is an indefinite service life if you maintain the stress below a certain point. If that makes a practical difference, I doubt it.

okie john
05-05-11, 13:13

It was an issue with the steel, so it affected everyone. For instance, Ruger also had problems with this in the early Redhawks. It's pretty much a non-issue these days.

Okie John

sniperfrog
05-05-11, 19:50
Alloy frames will eventually fail, as aluminum has no fatigue limit. Even under low stress cycles it will fail at a certain number of cycles, where with steels there is an indefinite service life if you maintain the stress below a certain point. If that makes a practical difference, I doubt it.

So what is it that fails? As I stated above I've seen hundreds of Sigs go over the 100,000 round mark and have never seen a frame fail. This was all with Nato 9mm.

Not saying it can't happen but in my experiance (with Sigs anyway) it would have to be a ridiculous number of rounds.

brushy bill
05-05-11, 20:55

Just my .02

B

plus one

eightmillimeter
05-05-11, 23:06

I can second that. I've seen cracked frames on S&W 4043's but never on a 4046 (same gun but the 4043 is AL frame). This back when a rather large agency in my home town offered officers their choice of the two.

BamaM4
05-06-11, 19:58
My stainless Ruger Security Six has run flawlessly since 1979! In no way is it showing any sign of loosening, losing it's finish or other deterioration :laugh:

Just as reliable as the day I first cracked open the box.

The Cat
05-06-11, 20:51
My stainless Ruger Security Six has run flawlessly since 1979! In no way is it showing any sign of loosening, losing it's finish or other deterioration :laugh:

Just as reliable as the day I first cracked open the box.

Round count?

legumeofterror
05-06-11, 21:39
So what is it that fails? As I stated above I've seen hundreds of Sigs go over the 100,000 round mark and have never seen a frame fail. This was all with Nato 9mm.

Not saying it can't happen but in my experiance (with Sigs anyway) it would have to be a ridiculous number of rounds.

The frame itself will fracture at the highest stress point. I would not be able to give you a round count, I am basing this off of the physical properties of aluminum alloys. Read up on the concept of fatigue limit and you will get a better idea of why that is.

badness
05-06-11, 22:10
YES. Stainless steel guns are the worst most atrocious and inaccurate guns ever made. You MUST all send them to me for disposal IMMEDIATELY.....seriously...no charge. :jester:

I have a sig p229 elite stainless. I really like it except for the positioning of the slide stop. They just kinda heavy.