PDA

View Full Version : Dillon makes a casefeeder for the 550?!? THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

fuse
05-04-11, 21:29
so tonight I go to dillon's website to see if 550 vinyl covers are back in stock, and BAM I see that there is a casefeeder for the 550.

and apparently there has been one for quite some time now - since 2006 after a quick google.

I think I will partake in this awesomeness.

I really hope this can significantly speed me up.

anyone use the casefeeder for the 550? how does it work?

also, does it come with all the mounting hardware? I despise finding such things at home depot.

chadbag
05-04-11, 22:17
so tonight I go to dillon's website to see if 550 vinyl covers are back in stock, and BAM I see that there is a casefeeder for the 550.

and apparently there has been one for quite some time now - since 2006 after a quick google.

I think I will partake in this awesomeness.

I really hope this can significantly speed me up.

anyone use the casefeeder for the 550? how does it work?

also, does it come with all the mounting hardware? I despise finding such things at home depot.

I have not used one (I do have one in stock ;) ). However, it only works with pistol cartridges. Dillon does not support the RL 550B case feed system with rifle cartridges, unlike on the XL 650. (I have heard of people using XL 650 parts to get things like 223 to work but not 100% and not supported).

I don't think you need any special mounting hardware above and beyond the stuff that comes with it to attach it to the press.

fuse
05-04-11, 22:50
I am aware of the pistol limitation. Currently I only load 9mm, and don't plan on loading .223 soon.

I read a review that said moving the bottom of the case feeder out of the way only adds a few minutes to the caliber conversion process.

I am mostly interested in how it functions. Some say it works great and really speeds them up, some say it speeds them up but sometimes jams. Very few seem to say it costs them more time than it saves, so that makes me want one.

Boxerglocker
05-04-11, 23:17
I am aware of the pistol limitation. Currently I only load 9mm, and don't plan on loading .223 soon.

I read a review that said moving the bottom of the case feeder out of the way only adds a few minutes to the caliber conversion process.

I am mostly interested in how it functions. Some say it works great and really speeds them up, some say it speeds them up but sometimes jams. Very few seem to say it costs them more time than it saves, so that makes me want one.

I think it all depends on what YOUR expectations are. Most accomplished reloaders experienced on a 550B if set-up ergo wise can load 500-550 an hour.
The 550d casefeeder you still have to index manually so no gains other than case placement.
personally if your looking to get into a 9mm dedicated high volume case fed machice. Selling your 550b and upgrading to a XL650 is your best option IMHO.
I now of several guys that went with the 550b casefeeder and they all were disappointed, went the route I suggested with a XL650.
I load 400 rounds in 30 minutes on average 2 or 3 times a week. Then switch to .223 for case prep and loading at about 600 rounds an hour for the rifle.
Like I said, you need to set your expectations.

fuse
05-04-11, 23:20
I don't get anywhere near that, currently.

I would say I'm somewhere around 150-200 an hour on my 550.

Boxerglocker
05-04-11, 23:33
Snap! Doubletap...

Boxerglocker
05-04-11, 23:36

Like I said, it's what your expectations are... I would venture to say you are not ergonomically set-up. How is you 550b / bench set-up?

http://youtu.be/V1hNT3BqR5I

Here is a buddy from another reloading forum loading on a 550b at a rate of about 400-500 an hour

fuse
05-04-11, 23:36
http://tapatalk.com/mu/4c15afa4-28f9-ec9a.jpg

This was when I first started a few months ago. It's not that different. I have the bullets in a tupperware bowl in the left and cases in a bowl on the right.

Boxerglocker
05-04-11, 23:44
http://tapatalk.com/mu/4c15afa4-28f9-ec9a.jpg

This was when I first started a few months ago. It's not that different. I have the bullets in a tupperware bowl in the left and cases in a bowl on the right.

I can see the limitations. Your gonna need a more stable bench. I bet that rocks when you load and you get the occasional flipped primer...
The strongmount option with bullet tray and empty case bin gets you hands in a position where they move a minimal distance, thus faster and less tiring. Of course you could mimic the positions with well placed little plastic boxes books etc.
Do you sit or stand? Looks rather low to me...for either position.

Here is my current set-up. A little low but workable for right now. The shell plate is right at about 45-46 inches.
http://photos.plaxo.com/photos/get/55/11/130/210/187507/4150367-m-0.jpg

fuse
05-05-11, 00:00
I can see the limitations. Your gonna need a more stable bench. I bet that rocks when you load and you get the occasional flipped primer...
The strongmount option with bullet tray and empty case bin gets you hands in a position where they move a minimal distance, thus faster and less tiring. Of course you could mimic the positions with well placed little plastic boxes books etc.
Do you sit or stand? Looks rather low to me...for either position.

Here is my current set-up. A little low but workable for right now. The shell plate is right at about 45-46 inches.
http://photos.plaxo.com/photos/get/55/11/130/210/187507/4150367-m-0.jpg

believe it or not the bench I have rigged together is rock solid stable. It is bolted into the wall, and basically the floor as well.

I measured the shell plate height. it is a staggering 31 inches. naturally, I sit. I sit to the left side though. It does hurt my back, a bit, after a couple hundred rounds or so.

to be honest, and I have been meaning to tinker with this...I think my biggest problem is the powder die/station 2. I may be belling the case mouth too much, and occasionally the powder die gets stuck in the case. it takes quite a bit of force sometimes to get it out, and even when it doesn't get stuck badly, the case in station 1 often gets "bumped" by this station 2 bump on the downstroke. and thus I often have to thumb the case in station 1 back into position to get primed. the video you posted looks like he never had to slow the press down for priming, much less reposition the case. just one smooth motion. I would like to replicate that.

so perhaps just raise the powder die?

Boxerglocker
05-05-11, 00:09
believe it or not the bench I have rigged together is rock solid stable. It is bolted into the wall, and basically the floor as well.

I measured the shell plate height. it is a staggering 31 inches. naturally, I sit. I sit to the left side though. It does hurt my back, a bit, after a couple hundred rounds or so.

to be honest, and I have been meaning to tinker with this...I think my biggest problem is the powder die/station 2. I may be belling the case mouth too much, and occasionally the powder die gets stuck in the case. it takes quite a bit of force sometimes to get it out, and even when it doesn't get stuck badly, the case in station 1 often gets "bumped" by this station 2 bump on the downstroke. and thus I often have to thumb the case in station 1 back into position to get primed. the video you posted looks like he never had to slow the press down for priming, much less reposition the case. just one smooth motion. I would like to replicate that.

so perhaps just raise the powder die?

Yes, you only need enough flare to seat the bullet (FMJ's by the look of your pic) straight. Then crimp only enough to remove the bell, personally I like the .377-.379 range.
Dillon powder expander also set the neck tension as they flare, I would as I have with all my Dillon powder dies, take a little metal polish and dremel wheel and get it good and slick. :D

Get your component placement as close as you can to that video and work on your technique, then decide if you feel you need the advantage of a casefeeder.

fuse
05-05-11, 00:15
Yes, you only need enough flare to seat the bullet (FMJ's by the look of your pic) straight. Then crimp only enough to remove the bell, personally I like the .377-.379 range.
Dillon powder expander also set the neck tension as they flare, I would as I have with all my Dillon powder dies, take a little metal polish and dremel wheel and get it good and slick. :D

Get your component placement as close as you can to that video and work on your technique, then decide if you feel you need the advantage of a casefeeder.

cool, thanks for the advice. I will deal with what is surely a very problematic station 2.

also I noticed in the video both his hands are always doing something. mostly referring to the left hand always grabbing and indexing a bullet. I know this sounds stupid, but I don't think I'm that coordinated for that, at least not yet.

I still think having a casefeeder would be hella awesome. feel like I'm really really close to buying it, but I guess I'll hold off, at least until I deal with my current issues.

thanks again.

Boxerglocker
05-05-11, 00:25
cool, thanks for the advice. I will deal with what is surely a very problematic station 2.

also I noticed in the video both his hands are always doing something. mostly referring to the left hand always grabbing and indexing a bullet. I know this sounds stupid, but I don't think I'm that coordinated for that, at least not yet.

I still think having a casefeeder would be hella awesome. feel like I'm really really close to buying it, but I guess I'll hold off, at least until I deal with my current issues.

thanks again.

No worries, a lot of people find that the extras that Dillon offers are not needed, just a waste of money. Others as myself see the reasons and advantages. You need to make up your mind.
As stated before the 550b casefeeder if you can get it to run reliably is nice to have. Looking at your current set-up though no offense, but a more ergonomic bench setup, with a custom height bench or strongmount set-up will get you where you want to be much sooner.

fuse
05-05-11, 00:31
No worries, a lot of people find that the extras that Dillon offers are not needed, just a waste of money. Others as myself see the reasons and advantages. You need to make up your mind.
As stated before the 550b casefeeder if you can get it to run reliably is nice to have. Looking at your current set-up though no offense, but a more ergonomic bench setup, with a custom height bench or strongmount set-up will get you where you want to be much sooner.

you think simply raising the press via the strong mount would help? I would still sit, I assume.

the bench is bolted into the wall as I said, and that won't be changing anytime soon.

Boxerglocker
05-05-11, 00:37
you think simply raising the press via the strong mount would help? I would still sit, I assume.

the bench is bolted into the wall as I said, and that won't be changing anytime soon.

31 inches is pretty low... a strong mount would add about 8 inches and spreads the weight evenly on the surface. You would have to decide for yourself whether it was advantageous for you to get one, but if you do I advise get the bullet tray and case bin too. Make it as ergo as possible.

fuse
05-05-11, 00:40
cool.

alot to think about.

markm
05-05-11, 08:30

Making rate of production a priority is a FOOL'S mistake. Don't get sucked into this shit that you're not a good loader if you're not going fast. No one is going to be impressed when you blow up a gun, but you can brag that you hit 500 rounds per hour making the ammo.

As far as the case feeder nonsense. I find it philisophically repulsive to think I can reach over and grab a piece of brass with my friggin hand. :rolleyes:

And adding another system to trouble shoot to my dillon is the last ass ache I want. I've taken as many systems off my 550b as possible.... I've been using the machine for 15 years and NEVER try to get 400 plus rounds per hour.

Just my opinion. ;)

Boxerglocker
05-05-11, 10:35
Making rate of production a priority is a FOOL'S mistake. Don't get sucked into this shit that you're not a good loader if you're not going fast. No one is going to be impressed when you blow up a gun, but you can brag that you hit 500 rounds per hour making the ammo.

As far as the case feeder nonsense. I find it philisophically repulsive to think I can reach over and grab a piece of brass with my friggin hand. :rolleyes:

And adding another system to trouble shoot to my dillon is the last ass ache I want. I've taken as many systems off my 550b as possible.... I've been using the machine for 15 years and NEVER try to get 400 plus rounds per hour.

Just my opinion. ;)

I TOTALLY agree with you there Mark. As in, shooting "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast"... speed comes with technique as it develops and safety should never be compromised to achieve speed.

It is just apparent that either the OP's technique or ergo set-up is what is lacking and holding him back in regards to bumping his production rate. You would have to admit after loading on a 550b for 15 years that 150-200 rounds max is well below the rated for that machine. That is one round every 18 seconds as opposed to a rate of even 400 with 9 seconds... 9 seconds is a LONG time for one round on a 550b a very casual pace IMO.

Everyone's needs are different... I started on a LCT at 150-200 an hour (got old real quick) then loaded 9mm and .45 acp at a rate of 400 an hour average on a pair of SDB's. At 2K a month, minimum of 5 hours at the press. My decision to invest in a XL650 saves me half that time. I don't load it all at once a half hour every other day.

As I stated in my first post of this thread. It depends on the OP's expectations. I'm sure when he forked out the cash for that 550b he wasn't expecting to max out his production at 150 or even 200 an hour. Something is definitely wrong if it is, whether the machine, his ergo or technique. I totally agree with you that a casefeeder in this case isn't his answer.

markm
05-05-11, 10:42
Yep. I probably fly through rounds pretty good... but I resize and prime off of my 550. So I'm working with primed brass and focusing on the powder charge only.

Dillon advertises production rates on their machines, and I just worry about newer loaders obsessing on that rather than focusing on getting it right. ;)

fuse
05-05-11, 11:22
I have loaded 2500+ very trouble free rounds so far.

No more until I fix station 2. And obviously holding off on the case feeder, for now.

Anyone rock the automatic primer filler? I about fell out of my chair when I saw that.

chadbag
05-05-11, 16:23
I have loaded 2500+ very trouble free rounds so far.

No more until I fix station 2. And obviously holding off on the case feeder, for now.

Anyone rock the automatic primer filler? I about fell out of my chair when I saw that.

After poo-poohing the RF100 for 10 years I got one last year. I like it a lot. However, I have not gotten it adjusted completely and get 1-2% upside down primers in each tube. I have only used it so far on my 223 loads and I don't get a lot of time loading right now with everything else happening.

I would not bother until you have everything else set up and think that the substantial cost is worth it for you.

markm
05-05-11, 22:00

That thing takes the cake. I mean... at that point... just buy factory ammo.

chadbag
05-05-11, 23:06
There is nothing wrong with going for throughput (speed). However, it is the last thing you work on and you don't want to start getting sloppy on your other bits. As long as you can keep the quality up, and can get good solid rounds 100% of the time at a nice measured pace, then, and only then, should you start to think of ways to increase your speed (rounds per hour) and in a way that does not cause you to lose what you already had.

tb-av
07-16-11, 10:54

Pull, Push, Index, Case, Bullet

Repeat

Pull the handle
Push the handle
Index the plate
Grab a case and place it
Garb a bullet and place it

If you get your stuff set up like the guy in the video you will easily hit 300 rounds and it will probably seem like a lot less work.

I have that exact setup and once you have everything ready to roll it's very easy.

When one hand is doing it's thing, the other hand is simply going towards it's next job. Like sipping a drink and picking up a remote control.

Just go slow and say it out loud if you have to. It will be natural within the hour. It's not a race but seriously your output will probably double and you will feel like you are in control and know what each phase is doing at any given point.

Pull, Push, Index, Case, Bullet

eddyb74
07-18-11, 20:35
A couple of questions for you all. I run a 650 so I'm not really familiar with the 550.

Someone said that you can't use the case feeder with 5.56 on the 550. My buddy has his 550 set up and uses it and it works. Is it just not advisable or did he just fiddle with his so it would work?

Somebody else said that they re size and prime separately of their 550. What is the reason for this?

FWIW, my 650 is mounted on a strong mount and I sit on a stool so I can see what is going on well. I keep my ball in a cadwell box sitting on the bench next to the strongmount.

chadbag
07-18-11, 22:35
A couple of questions for you all. I run a 650 so I'm not really familiar with the 550.

Someone said that you can't use the case feeder with 5.56 on the 550. My buddy has his 550 set up and uses it and it works. Is it just not advisable or did he just fiddle with his so it would work?

Dillon does not support it. You can fiddle with it and make it (mostly) work. I don't have personal experience with doing it as my 550s are without case feeders (my 650 are with).

I did have a customer who set up his 550 to load 204 ruger with the case feed using 650 parts, since Dillon does not make the case feed conversions for rifles for the RL 550B. He said he got it to mostly work but every once in a while a case would flip off. He explained it to me (this was several years ago) but I have not witnessed it personally.

If it works for you, go for it!

Somebody else said that they re size and prime separately of their 550. What is the reason for this?

FWIW, my 650 is mounted on a strong mount and I sit on a stool so I can see what is going on well. I keep my ball in a cadwell box sitting on the bench next to the strongmount.