PDA

View Full Version : Selling one firearm to complete others.

kwelz
05-05-11, 11:52
This isn't normally the type of thread I would create but I find myself of two minds.

I am in a very tight spot financially. Not to the point where I can't meet my obligations but I don't have a lot left over. What I do have left goes towards monthly VSM class fees and ammo for said class.

I currently have 5 ARs. One of which is a .22 and the other four of which are all very high quality. The problem is that only one of them is really what I would consider complete. I only have 2 Optics to go between the 5, need some lights, etc.

I have been kicking around the idea of selling one of my ARs. I almost never shoot it and it just sits int he safe. However I am hesitant to sell it for 2 reasons.

1: It is a very unique build done by a professional that I trust and respect using very high quality parts.

2: I just don't like selling quality firearms.

So I am faced with a choice. Have multiple uncompleted guns for the foreseeable future. Of have one less AR and the others be complete and ready to go.

Yes I have to be the one to make this decision but I trust the judgment of the members here to help advise me.

Thanks!

Just_Plain_T.
05-05-11, 12:23
I'm going to say no, don't sell it.

Simple question: Do all of them work, and do all of them have sights (irons only counts)? If the answer is "yes," then technically speaking all of them are "complete," even if you want to do more with them.

Just slowly save up for the parts you want to add on.

Any time you start to get the idea you might want to sell one of the ARs, go take it out shooting! That will change your mind faster than anything we can say.

I'm in a similar boat, where there's stuff I want to get and build but can't because I don't have a lot left over. I've pondered offing some guns to do it. But in the end (maybe I'm just a fool), I can't bring myself to do it. Of course, my boat has less ARs than you too, so take that for what it's worth.

Army Chief
05-05-11, 12:33
While a highly individual judgment call, I am always hesitant to sell a quality firearm unless I know it is for the express purpose of obtaining another (complete) quality firearm better suited to my needs. This might be especially true when you're talking about an AR because of the long-term ban potential, but let's move in another direction here.

Having been where you are, and to at least some extent, finding myself there right now with kids in college, impending weddings and other significant obligations, I've tried to envision the end state prior to making any decisions. By this, I mean that I presume that I've already sold off the firearm in question, and by some miracle, gotten a good return on it. Presumably, I then turned around and bought the big ticket items that prompted the sale in the first place, which for me probably means a high-end optic, a quality suppressor or a couple more Scout lights. Truth be told, given my [expensive] tastes, I would probably be fortunate to net one of the three from sale of a rifle, but I digress.

So, everything went as planned, and now I have TWO complete, ready-to-roll carbines, instead of one. How awesome is that? Now, what am I going to do with that second carbine? Does it simply move into pole position, or do I have another specific/separate role for it to play? Have I added a new capability to my armamentarium, or have I simply replaced one go-to gun with another? Did I actually accomplish something useful, or did I simply give myself something new and interesting to play around with?

Granted, these are highly individual questions, but for me, I came to realize that I will always be able to complete these rifles in time, but since I only use one at a time, there probably is no compelling reason to reduce the inventory in order to buy accessories. If you're running VSM classes with a rifle that you feel is properly optimized, then what are you setting up the second rifle to do, and more importantly, are you actually going to use it in that role? Not eventually; I mean, right now, while money is tight? Again, no one can answer the question but you, though as I've gotten older and wiser, I've really backed off of the sell-this-to-get-that routine. It can still make sense in certain situations, but if you're asking the question to begin with, this might not (yet) be one of those situations.

Bottom line? Think twice before you sell something with a serial number on it in order to get something that doesn't have a serial number on it. You may come out ahead, but in the end, it is more difficult to replace a quality rifle than it is to buy the latest Brand-X component.

AC

ALCOAR
05-05-11, 12:58
AC's reply had a general great theme in it....serial # for a serial #:)

I slowly been selling Colt lowers for new KAC SR 15 IWS lowers....My AR collection has no place for sentimental pieces(esp. since barfcom bought the mpla lowers). I would not have sold the colt lowers unless I planned to pick up IWS lowers, even though I'm always tempted to buy more MRP chassis's.

Zell959
05-05-11, 13:05
This isn't normally the type of thread I would create but I find myself of two minds.

I am in a very tight spot financially. Not to the point where I can't meet my obligations but I don't have a lot left over. What I do have left goes towards monthly VSM class fees and ammo for said class.

I currently have 5 ARs. One of which is a .22 and the other four of which are all very high quality. The problem is that only one of them is really what I would consider complete. I only have 2 Optics to go between the 5, need some lights, etc.

I have been kicking around the idea of selling one of my ARs. I almost never shoot it and it just sits int he safe. However I am hesitant to sell it for 2 reasons.

1: It is a very unique build done by a professional that I trust and respect using very high quality parts.

2: I just don't like selling quality firearms.

So I am faced with a choice. Have multiple uncompleted guns for the foreseeable future. Of have one less AR and the others be complete and ready to go.

Yes I have to be the one to make this decision but I trust the judgment of the members here to help advise me.

Thanks!

Interesting. 5 rifles, 1 you would consider complete, 1 unique & high quality build and 3 others.

Just curious, but what makes the relatively unique & high quality build rifle collect dust? I can see how the 1 rifle you consider complete would be your primary, but are the other 3 more relavent to what you're doing right now from a shooting standpoint? Did you picture your needs differently when you originally acquired the rifle you're thinkging about selling?

kwelz
05-05-11, 13:27
Wow guys, as always lots of great replies. The reason I post here.

Interesting. 5 rifles, 1 you would consider complete, 1 unique & high quality build and 3 others.

Just curious, but what makes the relatively unique & high quality build rifle collect dust? I can see how the 1 rifle you consider complete would be your primary, but are the other 3 more relavent to what you're doing right now from a shooting standpoint? Did you picture your needs differently when you originally acquired the rifle you're thinkging about selling?

I am not really sure. It is a gun build from a Factory FDE matched spikes upper and lower set. I know we aren't the biggest fans of Spikes but these look pretty unique. It was then built out using a Noveske N4 Barrel, quality LPK, BCM bolt, Giessel trigger, etc. Total I have about 2300 in the rifle even without optics. However it does not have a fixed Front sight tower which is a configuration I have come to prefer.

Most of the shooting I do now is training and this is more of an SPR type rifle. So it kind of became a safe queen. I pulled the optic off and traded it in a bad deal and haven't done anything with it since.

The other 3 are a 16" Noveske N4 factory gun with DD rail(Still needs optics and a better light), a 14.5" DD middy(this is the complete and done gun) and a Custom build Colt/BCM/VLTOR 11.5 SBR.

So as you can see. I don't exactly have cheap guns anymore. (All thanks to this site I must say)

I think AC is probably right. I just have a bit of an impatient streak. It would also depend on if I could get out of the rifle what I feel I should. And in this market that isn't a sure thing.

rob_s
05-05-11, 14:55
Ignoring the .22 for the moment...

If you have one functioning and reliable gun that has sling, optic, BUIS, and light and it is configured in such a way that you can use it for training, defense, competing (if that's your thing), etc. and one complete gun that may be lacking only in optic and light, I'd stand pat and deal with finishing guns #3 and #4 as funds present themselves.

If, however (and I know a lot of guys like this), you have 5 project guns in the safe and NONE of them is complete and capable of being used in the manner intended/needed, sell one and get at least one gun done.

ETA:
Here's the one kicker though. The coolest parts gun built by your favorite builder... is still just a parts gun. No parts gun is going to sell for an equal percentage of your cost as a complete gun. For example, a Noveske N4 factory built gun that is virtually unused might have 70% of it's original purchase price left in it. An equal amount of initial cash outlay into a Colt upper and lower with DD barrel, free-float ail, and fancier stock and grip than even the Noveske is going to maybe net you 60% of what you have sunk into it.

CoryCop25
05-05-11, 15:06
I have had the same issue about 2 years ago. I fixed my "problem" by selling off a bunch of safe queen handguns. I think it becomes a revolving door with keeping up with the new and improved products for your ARs. I now have a rifle that has been finished for well over a year and now I have parts removed from it because I want to put other parts on it.

kwelz
05-05-11, 15:20
Very good points Rob.

Perhaps it would help if I told everyone where each gun stands. That way you can see where I am coming from.

Daniel Defense Middy 14.5.
Complete. Optic, Light, Can, Sling, Rail, etc. It is 100% done. This gun has seen about 4 training classes and has only seen minor tweaks as I learn what works best for me. It is a proven and reliable firearm.

Noveske N4 16"
Really just needs an Optic and a better light option. Currently has a TA01 Acog which doesn't meet my needs and the light is a Surefire P6X in a VLTOR mount. Has Sling, Rail, QD for can, etc. So pretty close.

SBR
Harder to quantifu since I am STILL waiting on my stamp and haven't had a chance to work with it yet and see what I need to change. Currently only has Troy BUIS and no optic. Still needs a sling but that is easy enough to fix. No light yet.

SPR
The one mentioned above. I just can't decide what to do with this gun. I don't think I want it as an SPR. That doesn't fit what I use my guns for. So I may end up reconfiguring it with a lighter stock. Currently has no optics and only has Troy BUIS. Also needs a new FH. Part of me just wants to throw another TR24 on top of it and call it good. Or even that above mentioned ACOG. But as I said in the OP, another part of me says I should get the other ones complete.

M&P15-22
Not really a concern. More of a fun gun and cheap practice. Sure I would love to get an optic for it but not to worried about it.

Damn. As I look over that list I realize I have a really nice Stable of ARs. 2 years ago my best gun was a Bushmaster with a YHM quadrail on it.

dhrith
05-05-11, 15:26
I once thought I'd never sell any of my guns. Had about 4 dozen all unique and interesting historically with plenty of modern ones too. I can tell you once you sell the first one it gets easier after that. ;p Personally if you have 3 guns filling the same niche I'd say ditch one to have complete units. If you had 2 DMR type and 2 house/training guns I could see it and justify it, one and one for backup but three doing the same thing and only one functional doesn't make sense to me. If there was any light at the end of the tunnel coming what I would consider soon I'd say hold it. But I don't see the economy going gang busters anytime soon. Your guns all have something that appeals to me understanding why you want to keep them, not withstanding rob_s explanation of how much of a hit you're going to take also. One of them is an SBR and the other is a noveske. I'd have a pretty hard time talking myself into sacrificing either too probably. Personally I'd have built up around the heart of that noveske barrel and then done the SBR as a backup/house gun. I've had guns that just sat in the safe for a year plus and I find myself becoming more quickly disenchated with them as I get older.

Ahh ya caught me in the middle of typing, i'll try to get back to this later after your new input to see if it changes how I perceived it.

Zell959
05-05-11, 15:47
Based on what you view your needs to be for optics/lights/etc on the two incomplete rifles, would you expect the sale of the SPR to net you enough money to finish both rifles? Just one? Or really just a first step to get the ball rolling?

kwelz
05-05-11, 15:58
Based on what you view your needs to be for optics/lights/etc on the two incomplete rifles, would you expect the sale of the SPR to net you enough money to finish both rifles? Just one? Or really just a first step to get the ball rolling?

I would hope to get enough out of that rifle to get an a couple Aimpoint Micros or one of those and another Mini ACOG or TR24. Or some combination of the those. Depending on which optics I may have enough left over for a scout light. But like I said it depends on what I would get for the rifle. If I get what it is worth then I would be fine. But would I get what it is worth?

tylerw02
05-05-11, 16:43
You've got one set-up as you like it, so I'd hang tight with what I have and finish my projects as I could afford them. You're going to take a loss selling things and its not as you can shoot more than one at a time or you have a hole in your arsenal and you NEED something right away. Be patient.

The_War_Wagon
05-05-11, 16:45
You get the RIGHT deal... you can have a LOTTA fun! I sold my POF-415 a few months ago (after I finally had the perfect, tilt-free-carrier setup! :rolleyes:), and got a Kimber Ultra Carry AND a Benelli M1 Super 90 out of it!

Had so much fun doing THAT, that I got rid of my M&P15T next - financing a custom-built SPR with the proceeds, AND getting an LMT carbine upper out of it (I sold off the rest of THAT LMT frankenrifle, to finance the accoutrements to the SPR!).

It'd kind of addictive, if you keep getting the better end of the bargain! http://www.getsmileyface.com/sm/evil/204.gif

SteadyUp
05-05-11, 17:03
That's a really nice, and diverse collection you have. I'd try my hardest to ride out your impatient streak. In the long run you'll be better off. It would be one thing if you had duplicates of each type of AR style you have, but each gun you have serves a purpose, even if it doesn't see frequent use.

duece71
05-05-11, 17:18
I would say don't sell unless you have to. Incomplete guns could be used as spare parts in a pinch. Wait it out and gradually finish them as funds become available.