PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 G22 Problems with Vickers Slide Release

Sensei
05-05-11, 18:27
I took my Gen 4 G22 and G17 out for a test run after installing the Vickers slide release and "-" connector. The G17 ran fine, but the G22 would lock the slide back after every 2-3 rounds. It seems that the Vickers slide release in the G22 would not snap back into place with significant tension when lifted off the frame. This allowed the recoil to lift the slide release up just enough to catch the notch in the slide and lock it back. The factory release and the Vickers release in the G17 have much greater tension and snap back when slightly lifted. I've reinstalled the factory release in the G22 and will put some more rounds down range the weekend to see if it returns to form (I had 200 flawless rounds through the gun before installing the new parts).

wlptpd3
05-05-11, 18:35
Lanesmith, Make sure you did not trap the slide lock spring under the trigger pin during your installation. If you did you will not have the appropriate tension on the spring and it will cause false lockbacks. If you are not familiar it is the wire spring attached to the slide release, if you have not installed one before it is very easy to do when re-installing the slide release. Pull up on the slide release with the slide off of the pistol and it should snap down back into place on its own, if not then the spring may be trapped.

Sensei
05-08-11, 00:02
I put the factory slide release back in my G22 and shot 100 rounds without malfunction. I put another 50 round through a G27 that has a different Vickers slide release and only once had the slide lock back prematurely because my hand inadvertently pushed it up during a string of fire. However, I've had this happen with the G27 and a factory slide release due to my hands being crowded with the smaller grip.

FWIW, I've tried the malfunctioning slide release in my other Glocks and it does not properly snap back when lifted off the frame despite having the same appearance as the other Vickers parts that I've used. I want to say that the tension on the wire feels different than the other slide releases, but maybe my mind is playing tricks since I have no way to measure.

DOA
05-08-11, 00:37
I have had trouble with the Vickers as well. I spoke with Todd who told me the wire spring is the same length but as you can see from my picture, the angles are different. The factory one works fine and with the Vickers, the bend in the wire spring hits against the frame near the locking block causing it to bind a bit.

RAM Engineer
05-08-11, 03:19
Gasp! A non OEM part screwing up a Glock?? Unpossible!!

SWATcop556
05-08-11, 03:23
Contact TD and see what they recommend. Once you've talked to them shoot me a PM and I'll unlock the thread.

SWATcop556
05-12-11, 01:19
OP got a response from TD so this one's back open.

Sensei
05-12-11, 02:18
Todd at Tango Down quickly replied to my email and has offered to replace the part. I did a little more investigating last week and found that the hole in the release was slightly smaller that the other factory and Vickers slide releases that I own. This created some difficulty in replacing the trigger pin when the problem part was being installed. I suspect that this tight fit on the pin created by the smaller hole prevented the spring from working. I'll post another update when the replacement part arrives.

Keep in mind that the other two Vickers slide releases and all of the Vickers mag releases (in my Gen 2/3 guns) are working as advertised.

javentre
05-12-11, 06:23
This created some difficulty in replacing the trigger pin when the problem part was being installed.Mine has the same issue. I added a slight bevel to the hole, on one side, to make it easier to remove.

Magsz
05-12-11, 10:22
I have the same issue as well. My trigger pin is all but impossible to remove. You have to use herculean strength to get it out.

Sensei
05-12-11, 10:36
While javentre's the bevel idea might be an easy fix, I'm not so keen on trying this since I I don't have a tool to make a uniform bend in the metal. I can image that a little too much might keep the release from fitting into the narrow slot or reduce the strength of the part.

Magz, have you noticed any reliability issues with the slide locking back prematurely?

javentre
05-12-11, 10:39
I I don't have a tool to make a uniform bend in the metal. I can image that a little too much might keep the release from fitting into the narrow slot or reduce the strength of the part.I didn't bend it, I removed metal with a case mouth chamfer tool. It's just enough so the pin centers on it when you tap it. It might weaken it, and if it breaks I'll toss it out, but it's not a part that receives lateral stress under normal conditions. I had other problems with mine and was close to chucking it anyway.

Magsz
05-12-11, 10:58
While javentre's the bevel idea might be an easy fix, I'm not so keen on trying this since I I don't have a tool to make a uniform bend in the metal. I can image that a little too much might keep the release from fitting into the narrow slot or reduce the strength of the part.

Magz, have you noticed any reliability issues with the slide locking back prematurely?

Negative, the majority of these things seem to be working just fine. Between myself and my shooting partner we have i believe five units and they all work.

Mine however is the only one that requires Lou Ferrigno to push it out.

What is odd and a little disconcerting is that if i insert an unloaded magazine into the gun while it is completely assembled i can sneeze and the pin falls right out. Im guessing the sweet spot for removal is right where the slide catch rests when the followerer is pushing up on it.

eternal24k
05-12-11, 12:57
mine both have a little more resistance, but after I re-tensioned the spring they function fine on the range

JHC
05-12-11, 13:12
Negative, the majority of these things seem to be working just fine. Between myself and my shooting partner we have i believe five units and they all work.

Mine however is the only one that requires Lou Ferrigno to push it out.

What is odd and a little disconcerting is that if i insert an unloaded magazine into the gun while it is completely assembled i can sneeze and the pin falls right out. Im guessing the sweet spot for removal is right where the slide catch rests when the followerer is pushing up on it.

That is great. FWIW, my household has four Gen 4 9mm's that run perfectly. ;)

This part needs more "beta testing" by early adopters before I will get around to them. Especially since I'm pretty handy with reloads using the stock part. But this does sound familiar.

Tango Down
05-12-11, 16:51
Gentlemen,

OEM Glock slide stops have a pin hole that measures .159 ~ .160. The VT slide stop measures .160 ~ .161. Glock has actually reduced the size of the hole since Gen 1 guns.

The major function of the spring on the slide stop is to keep it locked into the groove of the trigger pin, trapping the pin and anchoring the stop. That's it. Without the spring, the gun will fall apart under recoil.

Reading the information posted, you had an early stopped slide due to your grip. Other slide stops (say 1911s, etc) have no spring. Gravity keeps them down unless pushed upward by an empty magazine or your grip. We suggest you look at that closely. That's why we did not extend the length of the stop, as the problem happens with the OEM extended unit quite often.

This is why we recommend only certified Glock armorers & gunsmiths only do the installation of this part. They can properly troubleshoot any issues that may arise. If there is an issue with a trigger pin fitment, etc. a gunsmith can isolate the problem and fix it properly. Anyone not certified will be guessing and performing trial and error, possibly damaging the weapon. We have received many slide stops back from customers that actually hammered the trigger pin out initially, thinking that was procedure. This damaged the trigger pin and slide stop, rendering them useless.

In the future, all CS returns will be examined closely. If there is a legitimate issue created in manufacturing and it missed our QC, your covered. If we see any damage from improper installation procedure, any warranty will not be honored.

Best regards,

Jeff

Larry Vickers
05-12-11, 18:13
To add to what Jeff said I have installed several with no issues but I have seen a few including one of mine that insufficient spring tension to reset the slide stop to it's rest position- meaning it was 'limp'

I took it out and put a little more bend upward in the spring and that solved the problem- now it snaps right back into position smartly

TD put gunsmith fit recommended on the package and that was a good call; it often drops right in with no tweaking but as we have seen occasionally it needs a little bit of extra attention- the mag catch has spoiled many of us as it by and large drops in no adjustment required; we are learning the slide stop is a little different animal which is to be expected particularly since that part has seen revisions over the life of the design

I will tell you this; once you try it you will be hooked- it actually works better than I expected. Glad we made it happen.

Be safe

Larry Vickers

RD62
05-12-11, 18:58
Well you can't get more definitive answers than those straight from Tango Down and Mr Vickers.

That's why I love this forum!

Heavy Metal
05-12-11, 20:51
....and people need to actually read the fu#$i%g instructions before they attempt this too.

SeriousStudent
05-12-11, 21:24
My experience seemed to fall into that same pattern. I bought five of the new levers. Four of them installed quickly and easily, one did require just a bit more finesse. But all five now operate exactly as designed.

Two were on Gen3 G19's, one was on a Gen2 G19, one was a Gen3 G17 and the last was a Gen3 G26. It was the Gen2 G19 that needed a little more attention and love.

And I really do like how they work. Perfect for the support hand thumb to assist with the reload, but not interfering with the "thumbs forward, high grip".

Another good piece of kit. Thank you, gentlemen.

Sensei
05-13-11, 05:04
Jeff and Larry - thank you for the reply and insights. I've sent the suspect part back to Tango Down for the pros to inspect. Jeff, rest assured that it was not my grip causing the malfunction as this was the first potential cause that was investigated. A Glock armorer at the range pointed out that the part was, as Larry puts it, was "limp" on the slide and being raised by the pistol's recoil. Needless to say, I do not have Larry's comfort with the platform, so I did not try to adjust the wire to see if it fixed the problem (I bet that would have really voided my warranty). I figured that I should just send it back without mucking with it.

I understand that most companies recommend that their parts be installed by a certified armorer - especially for liability reasons. However, replacing the slide release is something that many of us have successfully done in the past without harm to the pistol. It's good to know that this one requires a little TLC.

Larry Vickers
05-13-11, 05:50
Wow it seems like I may have to update my now famous quote 'Some people should only be allowed to own Glocks and AK's to ' Some people should only be allowed to own BONE stock Glocks and AK's !!:laugh:

Littlelebowski
05-13-11, 06:21
Worked perfectly for me on a Gen4 G19 and as I suspected, solved my problems with failure to lock back on an empty mag due to my grip hitting the Glock extended slide release.

JHC
05-13-11, 12:15
Jeff and Larry - thank you for the reply and insights. I've sent the suspect part back to Tango Down for the pros to inspect. Jeff, rest assured that it was not my grip causing the malfunction as this was the first potential cause that was investigated. A Glock armorer at the range pointed out that the part was, as Larry puts it, was "limp" on the slide and being raised by the pistol's recoil. Needless to say, I do not have Larry's comfort with the platform, so I did not try to adjust the wire to see if it fixed the problem (I bet that would have really voided my warranty). I figured that I should just send it back without mucking with it.

I understand that most companies recommend that their parts be installed by a certified armorer - especially for liability reasons. However, replacing the slide release is something that many of us have successfully done in the past without harm to the pistol. It's good to know that this one requires a little TLC.

+1 I don't usually pay attention to that CYA clause almost anywhere I find it. :D

I'll be better off to take LAVs latest advice to stay bone stock and limit myself to swapping sights, and OEM connectors and springs.