PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense M4,LMT,Or any other sugestions?

Jaysop
05-05-11, 21:01
Hi im new to the site, iv read a lot of posts and I figured maybe I can get some help?
With my USMC background im not new to ARs, But there are a lot of subtle differences I might just over look.
I Just sold My S&W M&P15 that I put some accessories on for about 1200. I plan on taking that and starting a new AR fund. Something good quality.
Any Ideas?
I Like the DD but all the threads seem so old, is there something new out that's better?

Silver_2325
05-05-11, 21:05
Not necessarily "better" than DD or LMT, but also consider BCM.

Jaysop
05-05-11, 21:13
I did some looking into them and it seems that they dont make a 16inch mid with a fixed front sight. I like the DD V3 alot, cept i hear things about how the upper and lower have a lot of play between them.
With LMT I hear you pay for the name, and BMC I just dont hear much.
Being from NY Its not easy to find any of these in stock, so i have to go threw review of these things b4 I order.

C-grunt
05-05-11, 21:26
DD, BCM, Colt, LMT, KAC, Noveske.

Literally cant go wrong with any of them. Pick the one you like best and buy it.

usmcvet
05-05-11, 21:26
What kind of AR can you own in NY? Can it have a flash hider and bayonet lug? The Sully stock or A1 stock would be a great choice if a collapsible is a no go. DD, LMT, BCM or Colt would be great choices. DD or BCM if you're looking for a mid length.

avengd7x
05-05-11, 21:27
All three are great weapons, and bcm does offer 16" mid length uppers with fixed front sights. As a complete rifle though, I think the ddv3 is hard to beat. Its a great package that comes with a magazine, rear sights, ladder rails, a vertical foregrip, and a hard case. My ddv5 has no play between the upper and lower; it doesn't affect the rifles performance anyway either way though

Jaysop
05-05-11, 21:30
NYS law say you cant have a flash suppressor, and if you have a muzzle brake it has to be welded on,no bayonet lug, fixed stock, and 10 round mags.
I have to have guns ordered to NC where I have family, Have them get a gunsmith to modify it, then have it sent to NY.
Aggravating process because a lot of companies don't make NY compliant.

Jaysop
05-05-11, 21:35
All three are great weapons, and bcm does offer 16" mid length uppers with fixed front sights. As a complete rifle though, I think the ddv3 is hard to beat. Its a great package that comes with a magazine, rear sights, ladder rails, a vertical foregrip, and a hard case. My ddv5 has no play between the upper and lower; it doesn't affect the rifles performance anyway either way though

I love everything iv heard about the DD, But the fact that they give you so much for such a decent price worries me, seems like It could have a low end package feel. Hows the accuracy?
But on the other spectrum LMT seems like you pay for the name.
IDK maybe iv just been googling for to long and idk what i need lol.

avengd7x
05-05-11, 21:39
It's the farthest thing away from cheap feeling. It is an extremely solid rifle, and I think the lower is my favorite one. Accuracy us on par with my bcm and noveske.

duece71
05-05-11, 21:40
LMT does make state compliant ARs. Their catalog shows compliant rifles for those states. I just bought a DDM4V3 and there is no play whatsoever between upper and lower. DD may not however make a compliant rifle yet. What was wrong with your S&W if you don't mind me asking?? Colt also makes state compliant ARs as well.
Good luck.

BamaM4
05-05-11, 21:43
Anything particularly wrong with the DD ver.1?

Any clue would help as I am an AR newbie

Jaysop
05-05-11, 21:50
Thats good to hear about the DD bc thats what iv been leaning towards, well that and the LMT CQB. the price diff isnt to much.
I wonder why DD wouldnt make a ny compliant yet, they came out with
there m4s 3 years ago.
As far as my S&W goes, there was nothing wrong with it at all. Extremely accurate with the mill surplus, felt nice, looked good.
But i started off with the lowest model and worked up from there.
This time around I want to start form the top.
My personal feelings on Colt stems from getting issued Colt after Colt that just never ran right. once I got issues an FN I formed an opinion on colt that I cant overcome.

Caeser25
05-05-11, 22:52
You can always get something built or an upper shipped straight to http://www.adcofirearms.com/ and get a brake pinned and welded.

GHL
05-06-11, 14:49
I don't think you'd go wrong with any of those options. Most of mine are LMTs, but I'd be just as comfortable with a DD or BCM.

I'd honestly go with which one you can get the best price on and what is in stock; quality-wise you won't be sacrificing anything between the three.

Doc Safari
05-06-11, 15:13
I have become a dedicated Bravo Company (BCM) fan. I did have a Daniel Defense carbine and it's GTG as well, but there were things about it I didn't like, such as the lack of a forward sling swivel and the gun was set up for a single point sling with the swivel port on the back of the receiver. Other than that I would have kept it.

I own more than one BCM carbine, and a mid-length.

I've only shot the mid-length with Winchester white box 5.56 in BCM aluminum mags.

So far my carbine has eaten every brand of ammo without a hiccup: Armscor 5.56 XM193 equivalent (I forget the exact designation they used), PMC Bronze .223, Winchester white box 5.56 and .223, Federal Tactical XM193, and some I've probably forgotten. I've also used it with PMags, USGI mags, Brownells 20-rounders, and BCM aluminum mags. Other than one 20-rounder that seemed a little tight in the mag well due to it probably being out of spec, all mags have fit and worked.

Plus, I've gotten a Bravo Company baseball cap with every gun.

Can't beat that.

fdxpilot
05-06-11, 17:56
I like the DD V3 alot, cept i hear things about how the upper and lower have a lot of play between them.

I have a Daniels middy, and the upper and lower are so tight it takes considerable pressure to push the upper and lower together. There is no play at all.

Jaysop
05-06-11, 22:59
So I contacted DD they don't make a NY compliant. Referred me to a company who wont do it either.
So now im thinking one of 4 things.
DD Upper with a LMT lower
Novseke Basic (No rail) and a LMT Lower
Some sorta BCM combo
OR Figure out something back door for the DD.

Thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not a big AR community on longisland.

I think i read somewhere that Colts have different size pins?
I was looking into those two since so many ppl like them. Maybe I just kept getting bad ones in the corps?

13MPG
05-07-11, 00:33
OR Figure out something back door for the DD.

Like Caeser25 said, order the DD rifle you want and have it sent to ADCO. Once they have it they can then convert it to comply with NY laws and transfer it to your dealer.

I do not think you can go wrong with BCM, DD, or LMT.

I could be wrong but I do not think any of the new stock Colts have large take down pins.