PDA

View Full Version : First range trip tomorrow.

zibby43
05-05-11, 22:52
I just picked up my first AR-15 not too long ago after doing quite a bit of research. I ended up with a Daniel Defense M4V3. This site was extremely helpful in terms of educating me on the platform.

Tomorrow will be my first trip to the range (long, long overdue). Today, I field stripped the rifle and properly cleaned/lubricated it.

I have also conducted a lot of searches on the site regarding break-in procedure. It seems like the consensus is to just go and shoot the damn thing.

My plans are to shoot 100 rounds of 5.56 and 100 rounds of .223 while I zero the rifle with the small aperture at 100 yards. My only question is: Does this planned round count seem reasonable for the first time out?

Any other comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I plan on updating the thread with some impressions and hopefully photos after I'm finished with my first time out.

Mac5.56
05-05-11, 23:02
Welcome to the club. My first question is: Is this your first time ever shooting?

By the way your talking about mixing ammo, and the high round count for your shooting session make me think maybe it is? If not I apologize.

When I zero I find I spend less time shooting, and more time walking (or checking) my targets, and doing adjustments, so my round count tends to be lower for the day. If you have all day to spend though, yea blow through all that ammo, and bring a bit more! But, keep in mind that your zero will shift slightly with different ammo, so mixing up brands, and 5.56/.223 could potentially result in more frustration then satisfaction. I learned that lesson the hard way myself.

I would suggest zeroing with the 5.56 then, once your there, spend the rest of your range time getting a feel for your new rifle!

P2000
05-05-11, 23:11
Congrats on your purchase and have fun tomorrow.
200 rounds is fine, although you shouldn't need nearly that many to zero. Figure out how much movement each click gets you at 25 and at 100. I would start by shooting at 25 yards, getting it somewhat close without wasting too many rounds(approx 5-10). Then move back to 100 yards and get a good zero. Finally, get off the bench and try shooting at different distances.

zibby43
05-05-11, 23:11
Welcome to the club. My first question is: Is this your first time ever shooting?

By the way your talking about mixing ammo, and the high round count for your shooting session make me think maybe it is? If not I apologize.

When I zero I find I spend less time shooting, and more time walking (or checking) my targets, and doing adjustments, so my round count tends to be lower for the day. If you have all day to spend though, yea blow through all that ammo, and bring a bit more! But, keep in mind that your zero will shift slightly with different ammo, so mixing up brands, and 5.56/.223 could potentially result in more frustration then satisfaction. I learned that lesson the hard way myself.

I would suggest zeroing with the 5.56 then, once your there, spend the rest of your range time getting a feel for your new rifle!

Thank you for the tips, I truly appreciate it! Those are good points regarding using different ammo and the problems that it may cause with zeroing the rifle. I should have realized that.

Tomorrow will not be my first time shooting. It will, however, be my first time shooting an AR-15. :) I have lots of trigger time behind a plethora of different handguns (I own several). I have some experience, but not as much, with various other rifles and shotguns.

I do plan on being at the range all day. I might take some additional ammo with me for that reason. I think I just read somewhere that if the rifle is chambered in 5.56, it is best to initially put 5.56 ammo down the pipe. That could be misinformation though.

Thanks again sir.

zibby43
05-05-11, 23:15
Congrats on your purchase and have fun tomorrow.
200 rounds is fine, although you shouldn't need nearly that many to zero. Figure out how much movement each click gets you at 25 and at 100. I would start by shooting at 25 yards, getting it somewhat close without wasting too many rounds(approx 5-10). Then move back to 100 yards and get a good zero. Finally, get off the bench and try shooting at different distances.

Thanks man! I'm really looking forward to it. Thank you very much for the suggestions. I definitely plan on only loading a few rounds (5-10, as you suggested) at a time so I can really just take my time and work on my fundamentals/familiarity with the rifle.

rob_s
05-06-11, 06:22
Ultimately, and maybe this doesn't happen tomorrow (today?) , you're going to want to pick one type of ammo that you're going to shoot most often and zero to that. If you have other ammo types that you think you may find yourself shooting you'll want to check your shift with that ammo as well but don't go chasing your zero around.

while these groups suck (long story) you'll notice that even at 50 yards there is discernible shift from ammo type to ammo type if you focus on the center of the group(s). Obviously at 100 yards this shift would be twice as bad but at close range you would never notice.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/ops%2015th/DAY-TWO-UNSUPPRESSED.jpg

markm
05-06-11, 08:54
I always start out with .223 ammo on a new gun. Just personal preference... but I want to see that it'll run ok on the mild stuff first.

duece71
05-06-11, 09:45
I took approximately 600 rounds with me to the range when I shot my S&W for the first time. I did use a break in proceedure (maybe not necessary) but once break in and zero were done, mag after mag of just shooting and having fun getting to know the rifle. No problems with any FTE, FTFs or anything, even towards the end. Rifle got hot but it never hickupped (?) once. I was shooting a mix of brass cased ammo, mostly Fed but some Rem and Win. Have fun.

Stump70
05-06-11, 14:06
You will never be the same. You should be able to see your shots with just binos at 25 yard zero. +1 on finding ammo your rifle likes, not what you like.;) Now check into reloading stuff so you can go shootin' all the time.

Have you decided on sticking to irons, or going with a scope or red dot?

zibby43
05-07-11, 00:41
Ultimately, and maybe this doesn't happen tomorrow (today?) , you're going to want to pick one type of ammo that you're going to shoot most often and zero to that. If you have other ammo types that you think you may find yourself shooting you'll want to check your shift with that ammo as well but don't go chasing your zero around.

while these groups suck (long story) you'll notice that even at 50 yards there is discernible shift from ammo type to ammo type if you focus on the center of the group(s). Obviously at 100 yards this shift would be twice as bad but at close range you would never notice.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/ops%2015th/DAY-TWO-UNSUPPRESSED.jpg

Thank you for the tips. I just stuck with the 5.56 today and the rifle ate it up. Everything went according to plan and words can't describe how much fun it was shooting the rifle for the first time.

I always start out with .223 ammo on a new gun. Just personal preference... but I want to see that it'll run ok on the mild stuff first.

I've got some .223 that I didn't get to today that I'm going to try out next time.

I took approximately 600 rounds with me to the range when I shot my S&W for the first time. I did use a break in proceedure (maybe not necessary) but once break in and zero were done, mag after mag of just shooting and having fun getting to know the rifle. No problems with any FTE, FTFs or anything, even towards the end. Rifle got hot but it never hickupped (?) once. I was shooting a mix of brass cased ammo, mostly Fed but some Rem and Win. Have fun.

Thanks man, I had a blast. 600 rounds?! Now that's a hell of a day at the range.

You will never be the same. You should be able to see your shots with just binos at 25 yard zero. +1 on finding ammo your rifle likes, not what you like.;) Now check into reloading stuff so you can go shootin' all the time.

Have you decided on sticking to irons, or going with a scope or red dot?

I'm going to stick to irons for a while until I get to be fairly proficient (as proficient as I can be) with them.

+1 on never being the same. The DD M4V3 ran like a champion and I was grinning ear-to-ear all afternoon.