PDA

View Full Version : My new Daniel Defense M4V5

OneInchPunch
05-05-11, 23:07
hey guys i am very proud to annouce that after a year of reading on this forum i sold my bushy, and purchased a DD. first off you guys totally undersold it. they are so much better and i never understood until i held one and shot it. thank you for all your help and sorry for being such a stubborn bitch :sarcastic: . here is a pic

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff389/OneInchPunch/DD2.jpg

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff389/OneInchPunch/DD1.jpg

i plan to get either a Eotech XPS 2-1 or an Aimpoint micro

zibby43
05-05-11, 23:18
Looks great man. Congratulations on the new DD!

OneInchPunch
05-05-11, 23:19
Looks great man. Congratulations on the new DD!

thanks

johncatz
05-05-11, 23:45
Very nice carbine!

avengd7x
05-05-11, 23:45
i've got the same one, but with the government barrel. i also stuck an xps 3-0 on it and I couldn't be happier. I like that DD includes a rear receiver QD swivel attachment point too. nice choice!

duece71
05-06-11, 09:47
Nice, I love my DDM4V3, I have not shot it yet (or a midlength system) so I am eager to say the least. Enjoy a premium quality piece.

Dobie
05-06-11, 10:13
I bought my MV3 before the 5 came out or else I would own this one also. You made a major upgrade.

SteveL
05-06-11, 10:15
Very nice rifle. Does it have a light weight barrel?

DaBigBR
05-06-11, 12:52
Cool!

The V5 is probably what I would go with if I was buying a DD.

markm
05-06-11, 13:09
Buy some LaRue rail clips for that rail. You'll love them.

OneInchPunch
05-07-11, 21:57
I bought my MV3 before the 5 came out or else I would own this one also. You made a major upgrade.

i sure did, i never understood what guys were talking about when they said that you could feel the quality difference, and now i know, and cant settle for less. thanks for all the advice, and i look forward to my next purchase, dont tell the wife :sarcastic:

OneInchPunch
05-07-11, 21:58
Very nice rifle. Does it have a light weight barrel?

yes, i wanted to try and keep the gun somewhat light, and it really is i was actually surprised at how light it is.

OneInchPunch
05-07-11, 22:01
Buy some LaRue rail clips for that rail. You'll love them.

those look nice, i like the idea, but i also like the ladder style. i used to have the troy rail covers, and now realize how huge they actually were. thanks for the tip.

davebee456
05-07-11, 22:53
can some one tell me about the difference btween a midlength system and a carbine length I just bought the DDM4 XV rifle and I dont know much about this platform.

FChen17213
05-08-11, 00:56
The mid-length system will have a shorter dwell time. There is actually a small hole at the top of the barrel. When you shoot, the propellant gases force the bullet down the barrel. When they pass the hole in the barrel, some of the hot gases get diverted up into the hole and travel down the gas tube. After they travel down the gas tube, they push the bold carrier assembly rearward cycling the action. When the bullet actually clears the barrel, the gas pressure drops to zero. The time period when the gases first enter the gas port to the time the bullet exits the barrel is called the dwell time. The dwell time for the carbine length out of a true 16" barrel is going to be longer than the dwell time out of a 16" mid-length gun. Some will say that the 16" system is ideal for mid-length gas systems rather than carbine length gas systems. The mid-length gas system is 9.0" whereas the carbine length is 7.0". Let's remember that the original M16 had a 20" barrel with a rifle length 12" gas length. The M4 carbine sports a 14.5" barrel so that the dwell time is not going to be that far from the M16.

Enter the civilian M4 with a 16" barrel with a carbine length gas system. By just lengthening the barrel and not moving the gas port, this is going to increase dwell time, possibly wasting powder and causing undue wear and pressure on the system as many would argue. Many people argue that with a 16" barrel you should go with a mid-length system.

Now I might have just made a complete fool of myself by getting all of the above wrong, but that's my understanding of this issue. That being said, I can't tell the difference in recoil between a carbine and mid-length from my shooting experience....running H buffers. Maybe trying an H2 will dampen some recoil in a mid-length.

Axcelea
05-08-11, 11:27
Now I might have just made a complete fool of myself by getting all of the above wrong, but that's my understanding of this issue. That being said, I can't tell the difference in recoil between a carbine and mid-length from my shooting experience....running H buffers. Maybe trying an H2 will dampen some recoil in a mid-length.

I think you were doing well until this paragraph.

The long story short as mentioned is the mid length is further down the barrel so it takes a little while longer until the gas is siphoned off the shot and then there is less time for pressure to build. This leads to having a more ideal amount of force acting at a more ideal time on the bolt carrier group for proper cycling, decrease fowling, etc.

The buffer weights however are made to counteract the higher force being exerted on the BCG by the shorter gas length of the carbine system where the H buffer is heavier than a rifle buffer which gives more resistance to the rearward travel of the BCG increasing lock time thus increasing reliability and performance. If the buffer and BCG are to light for the system then they will run risks of unlocking early, going back to quick, etc which has negative effects for performance. If the buffer is to heavy the opposite happens where there won't be enough momentum and it will be prone to issues like short stroking. As such you shouldn't put a heavier buffer like the H2 in a mid length which has a more ideal gas length with a lighter buffer.

I've heard mid lengths are better in terms of recoil and all that as/is.

Now congratulations on the DD, rather fond of mine though I am tempted to get a mid length upper to swap out.

OneInchPunch
05-08-11, 16:45
I think you were doing well until this paragraph.

The long story short as mentioned is the mid length is further down the barrel so it takes a little while longer until the gas is siphoned off the shot and then there is less time for pressure to build. This leads to having a more ideal amount of force acting at a more ideal time on the bolt carrier group for proper cycling, decrease fowling, etc.

The buffer weights however are made to counteract the higher force being exerted on the BCG by the shorter gas length of the carbine system where the H buffer is heavier than a rifle buffer which gives more resistance to the rearward travel of the BCG increasing lock time thus increasing reliability and performance. If the buffer and BCG are to light for the system then they will run risks of unlocking early, going back to quick, etc which has negative effects for performance. If the buffer is to heavy the opposite happens where there won't be enough momentum and it will be prone to issues like short stroking. As such you shouldn't put a heavier buffer like the H2 in a mid length which has a more ideal gas length with a lighter buffer.

I've heard mid lengths are better in terms of recoil and all that as/is.

Now congratulations on the DD, rather fond of mine though I am tempted to get a mid length upper to swap out.

i have noticed it is a little bit softer recoil than my old carbine length system.

An Undocumented Worker
05-08-11, 19:31
Congratulations on the fine choice of a Carbine.

I recently built up a rifle using a DD 18" URG with standard FSB and DD lite rail. With it paired to a lower using an A5 buffer system, and a Battlecomp up front, it is the smoothest shooting AR15 I've ever shot. So far I'm 350 rounds in with no hiccups.

OneInchPunch
05-08-11, 20:14
Congratulations on the fine choice of a Carbine.

I recently built up a rifle using a DD 18" URG with standard FSB and DD lite rail. With it paired to a lower using an A5 buffer system, and a Battlecomp up front, it is the smoothest shooting AR15 I've ever shot. So far I'm 350 rounds in with no hiccups.

sounds awesome any pics?

An Undocumented Worker
05-08-11, 20:22
sounds awesome any pics?

I'd love to, but, I've never felt the need to buy a camera. You know, other high tech aluminum and steel goodies are higher on my priority list.;)

duece71
05-08-11, 21:07
I am heading to the range this week with my new DDM4V3, sight in and shoot it with as many rounds as I can in a couple hour period. If I manage to take the camera I'll post pics in another thread.

Mr_Anderson556
05-09-11, 02:43
i plan to get either a Eotech XPS 2-1 or an Aimpoint micro

First very nice rifle I have a custom DD rifle and love it. It is also a LW barrel gun.

I have used both and Like the Aimpoint Micro in a LaRue mount. Get the H1 endless you need night vision or to take it swimming with you.