PDA

View Full Version : What three things...

DasBulk
05-06-11, 01:03
I got to thinking here at work, whIch usually gets me in trouble...
I thought it would be interesting to see what three things you "couldn't live without" on your AR and what you do with it to see how personal needs change with respect to a given role.

I myself, being a civilian shooter, don't require or even want certain bolt ons that LEO/MIL would call for, for instance.

My personal "must haves" are a good sling (padded BFG vcas right now), bcm mod4 ch, and since my AR is a home/fun gun a decent light. Tlr1 filling that role currently.

I myself do without a railed fore end or top shelf rds opting for MOE handguards and PA M3 clone. But would understand other choices for different roles.

So what are your three things and why?

Edit: Assuming you start with say a bone stock 6920 with factory furniture, sights and such. The three things, anything, you would do to it. Three "gotta have it on my gun" things. Specifically... Like, if you say sling, what sling?

tuck
05-06-11, 02:31
I can't do without a good set of irons, a decent sling setup, and a collapsible stock. After that, everything else is a convenience.

ZRH
05-06-11, 02:40
In theory one could live without a rifle. It is a tool designed to accomplish a purpose in the easiest possible way.

Going from that, I can't live without anything on my rifle. Though, all I have on it is a red dot and a sling.

Pax
05-06-11, 02:55
A Geissele SDE, a TiNi firing pin and a Troy Medieval brake.

Cant live without em. Gun doesnt work without em.

ETA: Oh, and KNS No-Spins. Gotta have those, too.

DasBulk
05-06-11, 04:26
Ok but why?

masakari
05-06-11, 04:33
High quality, battery free optic. I use only trijicon.
retractable stock. Big fan of the UBR.
flashlight.

rob_s
05-06-11, 06:13
white light
RDS
Sling

In that order. and depending on application that last one is negotiable.

But the question is rather vague. Where do you draw the line between the gun itself and the accessories? Is a railed forend an accessory or a means to adding other accessories? and if it is itself an accessory, then do the plastic handguards count as an accessory or not? Are sights an accessory? What if it's an FSB and an A2 upper? Are they only an accessory if you have a flattop upper and have to bolt on the rear sight?

arizonaranchman
05-06-11, 07:03
I keep my guns very simple... All I have or want on it is a light, an Aimpoint and a QD sling.

MistWolf
05-06-11, 07:10
Magazines, ammunition and lubrication.

First, an AR has to have a good magazine. A bad magazine will stop the AR from functioning.

Second, good ammo. Ammunition with a high rate of failure is more than just annoying, it can cause life threatening failure from squibs or pressure spikes.

Third, is lube. ARs need proper lubrication to stay up & running.

Nothing I listed is new to anyone paying attention on this forum. But these things I think are the 3 most essential items I could not do without running an AR.

I can work around not having sights or a light if I absolutely had to. The carbine would be awkward use, but it'll still shoot. Without magazines or ammunition, it's dead weight. Without lube, chances are it will be soon

DasBulk
05-06-11, 07:30
white light
RDS
Sling

But the question is rather vague. Where do you draw the line between the gun itself and the accessories? Is a railed forend an accessory or a means to adding other accessories? and if it is itself an accessory, then do the plastic handguards count as an accessory or not? Are sights an accessory? What if it's an FSB and an A2 upper? Are they only an accessory if you have a flattop upper and have to bolt on the rear sight?

Hmm good point. I'll revise. :tup:

Edit: Wow.. forums habits.. :tup: doesn't work here. :p

glocktogo
05-06-11, 08:34
Assuming ammo is a given, I'd agree with Rob_S. Sling, optic, white light. Wish I had my eyesight like it was in my 20's, then I wouldn't even need the optic. :(

bsmith_shoot
05-06-11, 08:42
Ill play. If the weapon is a quality rifle, that is maintained properly, with quality mags and ammo, then my 3 "needs" would be:
1. White light- I got 2 little boys(5 and 1) that sleep in differant rooms. I wanna know exactly who im gonna shoot.
2. RDS- Faster target acquisition and follow-up shots, especially in low-light scenarios.
3. Adjustable stock- I want my rifle to feel right, and if I go down, I want my family or friends to be able to make it fit them.
These things are for my particular situation, and needs. My primary concern is home defence and personal protection. I love a VFG and a sling on my rifles, and a rail system. but my 3 are really neccesities to me.

markm
05-06-11, 08:50
Light and..

Sling.

But part of having a solid Light mounted is the MOUNT and KAC rail.... so that's kind of 4 things.

carbinero
05-06-11, 12:45
Magazines, ammunition and lubrication.

First, an AR has to have a good magazine. A bad magazine will stop the AR from functioning.

Second, good ammo. Ammunition with a high rate of failure is more than just annoying, it can cause life threatening failure from squibs or pressure spikes.

Third, is lube. ARs need proper lubrication to stay up & running.

Nothing I listed is new to anyone paying attention on this forum. But these things I think are the 3 most essential items I could not do without running an AR.

I can work around not having sights or a light if I absolutely had to. The carbine would be awkward use, but it'll still shoot. Without magazines or ammunition, it's dead weight. Without lube, chances are it will be soon

Concur with mistwolf.

DaBigBR
05-06-11, 12:49
1) A sturdy sling. Current preference is VTAC two point padded.
2) A sturdy light. Current preference is Surefire X300.
3) Good magazines. Current preference is PMAG.

markm
05-06-11, 13:07
You can't count the MAGS. ;)

That/those should be a given.

benw315
05-06-11, 13:14
I am a noob to AR's but... young and learning.

1. Sling- have it
2. RDS- T1 in ADM mount from Grant getting delivered by the UPS man today (waiting very impatiently)
3. Light- still need it

Just_Plain_T.
05-06-11, 13:30
If we remove the uncounted obvious of mags and ammo, all I need for my basic AR is a good sling and a nice optic. My favorite (and what I have) is a Trijicon TA33 acog, but I'd want a non-magnified red dot for a more specialized use rifle.

All I've done past that with my AR is a MOE handguard (preferred to standard, but not an absolute need) and a magpul BAD lever, which I prefer and am personally better at reloading under stress/time with. I still train the old fashioned way should I have to use an AR without one.

I don't feel the need for VFGs, AFGs, lasers, or any other of the myriad bolt on items. I could see a use for a light but I don't need it for my AR when I have a different preferred HD gun.

Fire_Medic
05-06-11, 16:13
I will also concur with Rob on his statement. White light, RDS, sling. The sling really isn't a necessity for my purposes "primarily, but it helps and is needed when I go to take classes or the local drill nights which is where it gets used.

I have actually been revisiting this topic the OP stated myself, as I am considering building a simple and light rifle as a backup and for my wife to learn with.

I can run MOE hand guards which are cheap and only mount things where I want them just like with my VTAC rail and it would be lighter.

If I were to have to forego the optic for some reason then definitely a top notch set of irons would be on my list, which is the case right now as I save my pennies for another Aimpoint. I prefer the Troy BUIS, and currently my front BUIS has a tritium vial in it as well (night sight).

MistWolf
05-06-11, 16:53
white light
RDS
Sling

My next AR will be a carbine for HD. These three items in this order is what I plan to use based on the advice given here by Rob and others

carbinero
05-06-11, 17:35
Excluding assumed ammo, mags, sling (that's also a given for me), my #1 actually be a Larue BUIS.

Due to this thread I have re-thought the light, altho I continue to use pistol and separate light for bump in the night. I have looked at the Elzetta for some time, but it appears the mount-n-slot is the way to go.

As you may guess, I run standard plastic HG, so my #2 is a Blue Force Gear Universal Wire Loop. After I tried one, I immediately bought 2 more. Both 3 and 6" versions work great.

If I were a rich man, I'm thinking an Aimpoint would round out the top 3.

Warg
05-06-11, 17:58
1. Time spent "bonding" with it, i.e., time behind the trigger
2. white light
3. RDS

If I had a 4th option it would be a sling.

rsxr22
05-06-11, 18:08
light
red dot
and sling for sure.

Scoby
05-06-11, 18:32
Good mags, ammo and BUIS are a given and aren't accessories IMO. So the three things of mine would be, in order of importance:

RDS - bad eyes
White light - most defensive weapons should have this
Sling - if you spend time with your gun, a good sling can't be beat.

Safetyhit
05-06-11, 18:38
The light is imperative for night/dark encounters, the rest is up to you. Both Rob and MistWolf summed it up perfectly.

seb5
05-06-11, 18:42

ETA: Oh, and KNS No-Spins. Gotta have those, too.

Really, before RDS and light!

polydeuces
05-06-11, 18:47
Upgraded charging handle (gunfighter, etc etc). This small upgrade makes all the difference.
PIG single point sling.
Red dot- to keeps all eyes open.
Pmags are a given, right?
Everything else becomes personal preference I guess.

Safetyhit
05-06-11, 19:25

These are great, but if your firearm needs them to function properly then you must have made a poor initial choice. If not, genuinely curious as to how you might have arrived at this conclusion. Always looking to learn.

carbinero
05-06-11, 19:28
These are great, but if your firearm needs them to function properly then you must have made a poor initial choice. If not, genuinely curious as to how you might have arrived at this conclusion. Always looking to learn.

Gotta assume sarcasm, no?

Safetyhit
05-06-11, 19:37
Gotta assume sarcasm, no?

Why do you think I'm being sarcastic? I know he obviously considers them to be valuable additions, which is perfectly understandable.

But to state that his weapon doesn't function properly without an enhanced trigger, upgraded pin and a Troy brake is a bit of an overstatement, is it not? I thought the point of this thread is to give practical and fundamental advice.

carbinero
05-06-11, 19:47
Why do you think I'm being sarcastic? I know he obviously considers them to be valuable additions, which is perfectly understandable.

But to state that his weapon doesn't function properly without an enhanced trigger, upgraded pin and a Troy brake is a bit of an overstatement, is it not? I thought the point of this thread is to give practical and fundamental advice.

Not you, sir, but him. When I first read it, I had to think twice before concluding Pax's selection of 3 upgrades was tongue in cheek.

13MPG
05-06-11, 21:14
Good mags, ammo and BUIS are a given and aren't accessories IMO. So the three things of mine would be, in order of importance:

RDS - bad eyes
White light - most defensive weapons should have this
Sling - if you spend time with your gun, a good sling can't be beat.

I agree with you on your choices. I always have ammo, mags, and sights for every rifle. Anything above and beyond that I think of as extra. Although I am working on getting a sling for every rifle and shotgun that sees a lot of use.

DasBulk
05-07-11, 01:00

I didn't ask what three things you need for your firearm to function properly...

rob_s
05-07-11, 06:08

I think Pax was joking. Especially in light of two very vocal bench shooters that keep droning on about needing upgraded triggers of late.

Inthoight his post was genius. :)

d90king
05-07-11, 06:19
Assuming that a proper set of irons is already on the rifle...

Sling
T1
X300

After that, what else is really needed anyway?

usmcvet
05-07-11, 06:29
Light
Sling
Optic

I'm using BFG 2 point slings now on all of my guns and Aimpoints M4's on two of my guns. I also have a BAD lever and gunfighter CH on all of my guns but could live w/o them.

J_B
05-07-11, 07:18
Being patrol....

white light - M300A

sling - single point. I went this route as this is what I'm comfortable
with and have trained mostly with.

RDS - T-1 in a LT660 mount.

Do I really need the DD rail, GS handstop, Vltor Imod & BC 1.0? No, but they're just added little bonuses.

MistWolf
05-07-11, 07:23
I think Pax was joking. Especially in light of two very vocal bench shooters that keep droning on about needing upgraded triggers of late.

Inthoight his post was genius. :)

While anyone can just yank a trigger, it takes a true connoisseur to appreciate a fine fire control group with it's crisp clean break, delicate aroma, rich color and has been aged to perfection instead of one that feels like it's being dragged through a box of rocks before the shot.

But we have hope for you, Rob. Someday, you too will see the light, to come to know the ecstasy of gently pressing the trigger bow instead the drudgery of having to drag it through a box of rocks to make the shot:D:D

A8AWD
05-07-11, 07:57
Only really need a white light, preferably a SF to ID and/or disorient a target.

And just because the OP said 3 things:

A dot for speed and for the ease of shooting around cover.

A stock with a better cheek weld.

rob_s
05-07-11, 08:11
While anyone can just yank a trigger, it takes a true connoisseur to appreciate a fine fire control group with it's crisp clean break, delicate aroma, rich color and has been aged to perfection instead of one that feels like it's being dragged through a box of rocks before the shot.

But we have hope for you, Rob. Someday, you too will see the light, to come to know the ecstasy of gently pressing the trigger bow instead the drudgery of having to drag it through a box of rocks to make the shot:D:D

Utter horseshit.

You bench shooters act like there something wrong with the stock part when there isn't. Makes me actually alwant to try to stay awake long enough at the bench to take up the endeavor just to have an opportunity to beat the guys with the $200 triggers.

Outlander Systems
05-07-11, 08:11
1) Light
2) Optic or good Irons
3) Gunfighter CH (Which, after all this time, I *still* get excited over)

A sling, like magazines, should be a given. Instead of buying magpul stocks, and all that ninja-riffic shit, the first thing a new AR shooter should do is get spare mags, and a sling. ****ing mandatory.

polydeuces
05-07-11, 08:23
[QUOTE=MistWolf;992193]While anyone can just yank a trigger, it takes a true connoisseur to appreciate a fine fire control group with it's crisp clean break, delicate aroma, rich color and has been aged to perfection instead of one that feels like it's being dragged through a box of rocks before the shot.

If I was to get me one o them Spikes nickel boron trigger/hammer sets would that give me delicate aroma too?:D

Safetyhit
05-07-11, 09:37
Utter horseshit.

You bench shooters act like there something wrong with the stock part when there isn't. Makes me actually alwant to try to stay awake long enough at the bench to take up the endeavor just to have an opportunity to beat the guys with the $200 triggers.

This time I suspect it was you who had their chain pulled, but I can't tell who the hell is being sarcastic at this point. :confused:

OP, just make sure to have a good light and properly maintain your rifle.

zombie killer
05-07-11, 11:01
I guess for a general purpose rifle the must haves for me are

1. Irons (because as useful as a RDS is it's useless when the batteries die)
2. Sling (makes life a little easier)
3. Light (a rifle is very useful if I can't see, of course it also allows others to see me)

Probably in that order

jwperry
05-07-11, 11:15
1. Gunfighter Mod 3

I only really have one.
I've never done much shooting at night, so a light should be important, but use is a skill outside my base.
I'm not too picky on slings, I shot a lot of mil-surp rifles and those don't come with nice adjustable/padded/quick disconnect slings.
A red dot is nice, but not something I can't live without.

I've come to the conclusion I can't 'live' without the GF CH though, from shooting my friends' rifles who don't have them I'm completely lost on the gun; can't clear malfunctions, can't charge the gun and I can't do quick mag/ammo swaps rapidly. I've gotten so used to 'slapping' the large latch that anything under that either causes me to whiff or stop and think about what I'm supposed to do..

MistWolf
05-07-11, 13:46
...If I was to get me one o them Spikes nickel boron trigger/hammer sets would that give me delicate aroma too?:D

Sure would, and Rob has identified what that aroma would be :D

Utter horseshit.

I'm ribbing you, Rob. While I haven't been to a carbine class and haven't done any training, I've actually done very little shooting from the bench. While bench shooting has it's place, I prefer being out in the field plinking or hunting. Not high speed, but it's fun.

Maybe I haven't explained well what a good trigger is. I respect you and pay attention to the knowledge you share with us and have learned quite a bit.

Please, don't take me too seriously. I might start thinking I'm important or something and my wife thinks I'm insufferable enough as it is :sarcastic:

Sciuirse Morrigna
05-07-11, 14:49
Edit: Assuming you start with say a bone stock 6920 with factory furniture, sights and such. The three things, anything, you would do to it. Three "gotta have it on my gun" things. Specifically... Like, if you say sling, what sling?

Assuming good mags and ammo goes with that, I really don't need anything else.

My I really, really like to have list would be:
Sling (2-point, keep it simple)
Weapon light
Optic (Aimpoint or ACOG, depending what the rifle was being used for)

Moose-Knuckle
05-07-11, 16:29
The "three things" my AR can't live without is:

1.) Quality high capacity magazines (multiple manufactures here)
2.) Ammunition (Black Hills and Hornady preferred)
3.) Sling (I run VCAS)

jonconsiglio
05-07-11, 17:05
Utter horseshit.

I rarley shoot from the bench, only now and then to check zero then I may shoot a mag for groups. I can shoot under 2 MOA with both of my SR15's whether they're on the KAC lowers with the two-stage triggers or my Noveske lower with a Colt lower parts kit. Two separate times I've used the same upper on both lowers and both times the average group was almost identical.

I can understand throwing in a more expensive trigger if you shoot competition and your playing for money or prizes, but for me, whether I'm shooting drills or competition, the KAC doesn't have a discernable differnece over my Colt mil spec triggers for speed or accuracy. It feels a little nicer though for what that's worth...

I'm not knocking guys that think it's a must, but when you post 50 pics of the same gun with an oiled up trigger for sheen, it gets to be a little much...

Oh, my 3 things -

- Light
- good sighting system (quality BUIS and/or optic, preferably a T1)
- sling?

This was hard to do. Though I have an optic, sling, light, Sopmod or CTR, Vltor A5, some type of forward grip, rail system and stippled rail covers on all my guns, I can live without just about everything but being able to see. For me, being able to see means a good light (Surefire in Gear Sector or LaRue mounts preferably) and a good sighting system whether that means quality BUIS or an optic like a T1, ACOG or S&B.

I actually thought of putting the Vltor A5 in place of the sling as that's what I'd choose if I had to. It's added reliability and smooth operation are a nice improvement and it would be hard to go back to a carbine RE now.

az doug
05-07-11, 19:03
A few in my agency, including some at the range, have a minimalist attitude and believe all you need are two things, a light and sling. I tend to agree but at my age a RDS is nice to have.

Good thing I am not limited to those because I also like my free float rails. Even if the free float rails are only a benefit in my mind, given the distances I am likely to use a patrol rifle, I still like them.

legumeofterror
05-08-11, 09:27
Utter horseshit.

What an angry man...

Evil1969SS>LS6
05-08-11, 11:06
What an angry man...

Maybe not But, just a little emotionally wrapped-up on the topic

legumeofterror
05-08-11, 11:23
Why would one become emotionally invested in something as silly as triggers?

jonconsiglio
05-08-11, 12:06
I can't speak for Rob, but only for myself. Let's say someone comes on here completely bashing standard triggers and saying you must buy a replacement. Because of something as silly as post count, a new guy might think that new trigger is a must. Let's say the same person talks about reset being so important and the clean break, then posts a video where not only is he slapping the trigger, it's so bad it appears he's slapping the front of the trigger guard as well... Now, obviously the video discredits all the posts about super duper god-sent amazing triggers compared to crap stock triggers that should only be used by losers that can't shoot. Paraphrasing here, but you get the idea.

So, when you get a guy that spends a great deal of time researching, experiencing, sharing and helping others that has a lot of experience on the system with a lot USEFUL rounds down range and feels strongly that all the 'extras' aren't necessary and can even be a waste depending on what you buy them for and your style of shooting, it can start to get very old when you get a vocal few that, some that clearly out talk their ability, are preaching every chance they get about how super neato awesome this is and those that don't share that opinion are TOS idiots. When in fact their behavior is the exact thig they put others down for doing.

Sorry, I'm just getting sick of people pushing something and focusing on glamor shots that have no training to speak of, then get a followin of new guys that are taking someone else's word for it and not experiencing it themselves.

I thoroughly believe it's fine to use precision triggers in certain guns. But, in an AR that shoots 2 MOA, what can it really do while standing and the targets are less than 300 yards other than feel a little nicer. If we were shooting from a rest at 800 yards and nothing else, then I can understand the 'need' maybe. But for most, NOT ALL, it's just bragging rights as they clearly are not gaining anything from it.

Im speaking from experience here, but it is just MY experience. I don't care what guys put in their guns but I do care what they tell others and how they say it. There's nothing wrong with using a SSA, for example in your BCM. There is something wrong with telling everyone that'll listen that it's such a vast improvement you're doing an injustice to yourself, especially if LE or mil, by not using it.

I run a 98b with a 5-25x56 S&B amongst other 'precision' guns. I understand having a little more precise trigger in some of those. But, for 99% of those that say the upgraded trigger is a must have in an AR, I'd be willing to put money on the fact that they'll shoot the same groups out to a couple hundred yards with a standard trigger - if they actually have any training on either that is. The other 1%...well, maybe I'd lose some money.

I am in no way putting down guys that use other triggers. I have two KAC two stage triggers that are nice, but could definitely live without. What I personally can't stand is the preachers here that clearly don't have the proficiency and experience they think they do that others are listening to. That's a bad thing in my opinion. That's who I'm talking about. Use what you want, but be able to back up your claims that everyone needs it when the time comes and show us how great it is. When you post a video of you getting owned and think it says a lot about a product, it's time to take a break and reevaluate.

BushmasterFanBoy
05-08-11, 12:56
1. Sling. I use mine more than anything else. You're carrying your gun more often than you shoot, even just at the range. I don't wanna tie my hands up finger-f'ing my rifle.

2. Light. Shit happens at night, be ready for it. I will admit I don't much have a chance to use mine, seeing as I don't have a lot of access to low-light training, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that half the time the world is dark.

3. Optic. I use Aimpoints, but its user preference. Pick something and get good with it.

Now, since we have the top three, I may as well round out my top 10...

4. BAD lever. Yeah, there's a TON of people with their opinions about this, but as long as you function test the gun, and ensure it works, then its indispensable kit IMHO. Admin handling/malfs becomes a breeze, and there's a hair of speed when doing reloads.

5. Grip. I ride the grip VERY high, and end up putting my middle finger above the A2 nub constantly. For that reason alone, I swap mine out to A1 or MIAD, or I'll just sand the nub off.

6. Trigger guard. Really ties into the above, but its another pet peeve.

7. Good Trigger. I use an S3G in my carbine, yes, its light. Yes, it helps a bit, especially with not pulling shots when shooting at speed. I'm tempted to put it lower because it isn't even really a need, but I find it to be such a good add-on.

8. Aftermarket fore-end. I don't even care about free-floating at all, I just opt for one of the sans-rails foreends to get a better extended grip on the gun, and a narrow tube for a good wrap around grip.

9. Aftermarket stock. The factory is ok, but I'm grabbing at straws to make a 10 list.

10. Muzzle device. The A2 is fine, but I prefer better. Again, not really worth changing unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket and you think you have enough ammo (No such thing btw)

So there's mine, as you can see OP, you start running into diminishing utility once you go past 3 items anyways, so a better question to ask is "what else does anyone need besides an RDO, sling, and light?" ;)

ALCOAR
05-08-11, 13:04
This thread is a joke...some people spent way to much time on their lil soapboxes as well. I'm sorry to call a spade a spade.

Just to be productive and kick the dead horse...
Sling
optic
light

VA_Dinger
05-08-11, 17:52
RDS - Aimpoint or EoTech EXPS/XPS
White Light
Blue Force Gear / Vickers two-point adjustable sling.

MistWolf
05-08-11, 18:43
What an angry man...

Hold on now. I took a poke at Rob, strictly tongue in cheek, but a poke nonetheless and he was responding to that. If I can't take it, I shouldn't dish it out. No one has to see things my way. I would be a fool to not take what Rob has to say and see how it applies

ETA- My post count doesn't mean I know anything, it just means I haven't yet stepped on any toes hard enough to get banned

M4Fundi
05-08-11, 19:52
Quality Mags (b/c I know what it is like to NOT have quality mags)

Aimpoint (b/c I'm curse-eyed dominant and extremely farsighted... it changes everything for me)

Whitelight (gives me more options at night)

J_B
05-08-11, 21:31
So, what is the real need for super duper cool triggers on a fighting rifle?

Dirtyboy333
05-08-11, 22:26
Irons
RDS
adjustable stock

I have a light but i took it off. Im not sure if its a good or bad thing for my HD situation. I now live alone so i don't have any1 else to worry about. Theres always some type of ambient light that allows me to have some vision. I know my layout much better than any intruder and i feel a light would just give up my position (which isn't very good if their armed and if they have broken in ill assume they are). I understand that you don't have to use your light until your ready but ive been in that situation twice and considering how freakin outta my mind scared i was i believe my light would have been on the whole time.

ROB: I picked up a Guns & Ammo Combat Tactics magazine from the Surefire booth at the NRA show in Pitt last weekend and read a very good article titled "Gas Piston AR's: Why They Suck" By Rob Sxxxxx. Was that you? It sure sounded like you.:p

ETA: why are people choosing lights before any type of sighting system (irons or optics)?

ohiorifleman
05-09-11, 02:45
1. Accu-Wedge
2. Receiver Rug
3. Anything made by UTG or NC Star

Sorry got the question backwards guess I'll go with
1. RDS in Good Mount
2. MOE Grip- haven't found one more comfortable
3. Sling

Nightvisionary
05-09-11, 04:01
Without my rifle I am useless without these three items my rifle is useless:

http://www.rguns.net/Graphics/GunParts/Rifle/AR15/MagPul-AFG-OD.jpg

http://globaltactical.com/_img.upload/upload/KNS%20GEN%202%20REC.jpg

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/180-180-ffffff/opplanet-leapers-ar-15-buffer-rb-a005.png

Mr_Anderson556
05-10-11, 00:17
Mine list is very close to the rest only one different item

1.) RDS I like Aimpoints Makes shooting fast and is the only way I can really shoot reaction side.
2.) Good White light. But I put a red filter on it as well.
3.) Ambi controls I am a south paw and the AR is not very friendly to us lefties. Mag catch and safety.

This what I really need on my rifle to run it will. I do not always get number 3 because of regulations on my issued weapon.

Slings are nice be we are always getting yelled at for having our rifle slung (Old Platoon Sargent) so I skipped that one. I have one on my personally rifle though.

usmcvet
05-10-11, 05:24
ETA: why are people choosing lights before any type of sighting system (irons or optics)?

Because you're responsible for identifying your target and what is beyond. A white light is cheaper than NVG's ;)

The majority of the time you buy a complete gun it comes with your stock and iorns of choice.

Magic_Salad0892
05-10-11, 05:26
A2 stock
24'' varmint barrel
Bullet button.

either that or.

Assuming somebody just handed me a Colt 6920 and said ''add three things'' without telling me where I'd be going I'd probably add...

Gear Sector 2-Point
Surefire Scout
Short Dot.

If HD then Aimpoint T1, or NT4. I can run irons fine.

Army Chief
05-10-11, 08:25
Without my rifle I am useless without these three items my rifle is useless

:rolleyes:

Moving on ...

All of this is pretty 101-level stuff, but I fall squarely into the LOS camp:

1. Light (SF, preferably M600/M300 series)
2. Optic (RDS, preferably Aimpoint full-size)
3. Sling (BFG, preferably Vickers 2-point)

All of these bring something to the fight, and are within reach of all users, even those whose environments require a certain amount of weapon standardization (i.e. military and/or LE).

Where "above and beyond" optimization is concerned, as a southpaw, I've brought certain other components into play on my own carbines, including upgraded charging handles (PRI Gasbuster military or BCM Gunfighter), ambidextrous selectors (KAC or BAD), ambidextrous magazine releases (Norgon) and QD endplates (Noveske). None of these are what I would consider essentials, but after years of limiting myself to standard M4/M4A1 configurations for operational reasons, I have come to appreciate the additional capability some of these components deliver.

AC

rob_s
05-10-11, 08:31
ROB: I picked up a Guns & Ammo Combat Tactics magazine from the Surefire booth at the NRA show in Pitt last weekend and read a very good article titled "Gas Piston AR's: Why They Suck" By Rob Sxxxxx. Was that you? It sure sounded like you.:p
Yes that was me, although the title was not my idea. There's a whole thread of wailing and teeth gnashing over on TOS about it if you want a laugh.

The OP was clarified that irons were a given. If you handed me a 6920 and said "you can add one thing to this to defend your life in all conditions", I'd add a light and make do with the carryhandle that comes on the gun.

Dirtyboy333
05-11-11, 00:31
Yes that was me, although the title was not my idea. There's a whole thread of wailing and teeth gnashing over on TOS about it if you want a laugh.

The OP was clarified that irons were a given. If you handed me a 6920 and said "you can add one thing to this to defend your life in all conditions", I'd add a light and make do with the carryhandle that comes on the gun.

Yeah that's true. I missed where irons were included. And given it had a standard M4 stock: RDS, light, sling.

I'm not a TOS member but I'm gonna see if I can finally find the "search" function over there and see this :D. There's no reason to be upset over it. It was a great article w/ alot of technical info on the operation of the platform that is beneficial to the reader regardless of their love/hate for pistons.

Sorry for the thread drift OP