PDA

View Full Version : Caracal Has Arrived!

45C
05-06-11, 14:12
Looks like they're finally here: http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=240143

d90king
05-06-11, 14:16
I would wait a while and see if they actually run... I know the early ones did NOT.

skyugo
05-06-11, 15:22
I would wait a while and see if they actually run... I know the early ones did NOT.

yeah that thread on the earlier ones definitely put me off...

Pistol Shooter
05-06-11, 16:56
With all respect, I'll let you guys enjoy them. Made in the UAE turns me off. :mad:

The Arabs just stuck it to me at the pump again today, I'm not inclined to spend any more money with them than I have to.

Especially with so many better handgun choices out there.

grimm
05-06-11, 18:17
Seriously, this is exciting because?? Is it any more reliable than the existing service sidearms? Any more accurate?

Magic_Salad0892
05-06-11, 18:20
It's about the size of a Glock 19, but holds 18 rounds, has a lower bore axis, unique sighting system, and a slightly better magazine catch.

It's pretty cool.

No threaded barrels though = not an option for me.

556A2
05-06-11, 18:32
With all respect, I'll let you guys enjoy them. Made in the UAE turns me off. :mad:

Says the guy with a Kraut weapon for his avatar. :rolleyes:

A weapon is a weapon. The Caracal needs to be judged solely on its performance. Plus there are some actual innovations compared to many other handguns which MAY make it better than a G17/M&P/P30.

I'm not about to rush out to buy one, but it could turn out to be a awesome handgun.

Ed L.
05-06-11, 18:44
The two I had that I did a SWAT article which appears in the June 2011 issue of SWAT Magazine (on newstands in many places) ran fine.

I had a grand total of 3 malfunctions out of a total of 3k rounds run through both guns. I did not have any instances of cases ejected into my face. I wish I could say the same for my Glock 17-though I bought that as a used gun, so there is no telling what it had been through or how many rounds it had through it.

kartoffel
05-06-11, 19:01

Ditto. I have no desire to support the UAE. Willi Bubits made some excellent guns in his time, but he sold out in a bad way by deciding to go with those bums.

KhanRad
05-06-11, 19:04
The two I had that I did a SWAT article which appears in the June 2011 issue of SWAT Magazine (on newstands in many places) ran fine.

I had a grand total of 3 malfunctions out of a total of 3k rounds run through both guns. I did not have any instances of cases ejected into my face. I wish I could say the same for my Glock 17-though I bought that as a used gun, so there is no telling what it had been through or how many rounds it had through it.

I'd be game if they sell enough to get a good accessory market going.

badness
05-06-11, 19:43
united arab emirates? **** that.

brushy bill
05-06-11, 20:03

The Arabs just stuck it to me at the pump again today, I'm not inclined to spend any more money with them than I have to.

Especially with so many better handgun choices out there.

Well said.

13MPG
05-06-11, 20:07
I read the article in SWAT and it looks like a neat gun. I would like to get some trigger time on one for sure. Where it is made would not be a huge deal for me as long as the gun performed well. I think the Caracal’s price point is going to be a hurdle for it though. With Glocks and M&Ps in the low 500s I am not sure how many people will take the chance on an unknown brand.

kartoffel
05-06-11, 21:19
I read the article in SWAT and it looks like a neat gun. I would like to get some trigger time on one for sure. Where it is made would not be a huge deal for me as long as the gun performed well. I think the Caracal’s price point is going to be a hurdle for it though. With Glocks and M&Ps in the low 500s I am not sure how many people will take the chance on an unknown brand.

I love my Steyr pistol. Got it from CDNN for dirt cheap, so at least it wasn't an expensive gamble. It needed a new extractor but otherwise runs fine. While I'm very curious to check out a new Caracal, I don't wish to support the country that manufactures them.

Some have draw analogies to buying commie guns. Here's the difference: you can't buy a brand new Norinco, East German, Yugo, Soviet, etc, gun. All those guns are in the US market as surplus. When you buy one, the cash goes into the pocket of the dude who sold it to you.

When you buy a brand new Caracal, the cash goes into the pockets of a very nasty place. I choose not to support slavery, racism, mistreatment of women, etc. It's got nothing to do with the UAE being predominantly Arab or Muslim, and everything with how they run their ghetto fabulous $!&#hole of a country.

Heidevolk
05-06-11, 21:26
They have really nice roads and lots of pretty cars, it aint all bad! :D

EzGoingKev
05-07-11, 13:18
I would like to shoot one of these, but then again I wouldn't mind shooting anything and everything out there.

Is the rear sight built into the slide?

KhanRad
05-07-11, 14:38
united arab emirates? **** that.

Some of the better gun designs of the 20th century have come from countries that we in the US have called enemies. We've copied many of them to our benefit. You probably do far more to support the UAE by driving your car rather than buying a $500-$600 pistol.

Moose-Knuckle
05-07-11, 16:20

Ed, what was your shooting impressions say compared to a GLOCK? The low bore axis do anything for you? I'll look for your article in the mean time.

Fail-Safe
05-07-11, 16:37
If you buy a Carical, the money goes Sturmgewerks(or whatever they are called).

If you dont want to support slavery and the poor treatment of women you might want to look at the tags of clothes you wear, and other products you buy.

Anyways, I've fired both the fullsize and compact models of the Caeacal. I was impressed with the feel of the fullsize model and enjoyed shooting it. I didnt care for the compact models sights, but it was also pleasant to shoot.

Ed L.
05-07-11, 17:30
Ed, what was your shooting impressions say compared to a GLOCK? The low bore axis do anything for you? I'll look for your article in the mean time.

It felt similar to a Glock, though the front of the grip of the Caracal was rounded and seemed a bit more comfortable. Not to suggest that the Glock is uncomfortable. I own and shoot Gen 2 Glocks which is without the finger grooves. The Caracal triggers are Glock like but comparable to a Glock trigger that has been worked in really well.

The Caracal is definitely flat shooting with a low bore axis. From the engineering standpoint it makes sense to design a gun this way, but to be truthful, if someone gave me two otherwise identical guns except that one had a bore axis of one millimeter lower, I am not sure I could tell the difference in muzzle flip using the same ammo.