PDA

View Full Version : Remington R25

MWL
05-06-11, 16:18
I know that there has been some discussion of this rifle previously here, and on other forums, but I can't find any definitive answer to my questions.

I am looking at getting a .308 cal AR, and a "local" dealer (about 200 Km away) has a Remington R25 in stock.

I know it is really a rebadged DPMS, and I wouldn't normally touch one of those in 5.56, but their .308 versions seem to get better reviews.

I also know that it is not in the same league as a LMT, but up here, I am looking at about $4500 delivered after taxes, so that's probably never going to happen.

The rifle will not be heavily used and abused, but mainly used for mid-range "precision" shooting at the shooting range due to being restricted here.

Will this rifle, with an appropriate optic, be usable in this role. I am mainly interested in reliability, not being restricted to any particular ammunition, and reasonable precision.

Regards.

Mark

MWL
05-08-11, 07:24
Somebody?

Anybody?

Is this in the wrong part of the forum?

Regards.

Mark

usmcvet
05-08-11, 07:33
Ouch why so expensive? Is it import taxes? Looks like an LMT is about $2500 from G&R:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LM308MWSE

usmcvet
05-08-11, 07:35
Just read your post again looks like an LMT is $4500 how much is the Remington?

MWL
05-08-11, 07:41
That's the story we get from all the Canadian importers, duties, taxes, fees, salaries, yada, yada.

I have seen Colt 6920s get sold out at $3000CAD with taxes, etc. Bushmasters go for almost $2000CAD with taxes. A Knights will set me back $6500CAD.

The HH6 will not be happy if I get a LMT. The Remington I can get by trading in a frankengun I put together from spare parts I had lying around.

Regards.

Mark

TXBob
05-08-11, 13:54
I think and don't hold me to this that DPMS Remington and bushmaster all share commonality for 308 rifles.

These seem to be okay made rifle's and are better than the typical offering you see from bushmaster and DPMS in 5.56.

You may have to finagle a few parts like O-rings for extractors and buffers but in the end the rifle will be okay.

MWL
05-08-11, 15:11
My understanding is that DPMS makes the Remington R25, and Bushmaster makes the Remington R15.

The Bushmaster .308/7.62 rifles use a different magazine to the DPMS/Remington, which uses the same magazines as the Knights and LMT.

I have heard that the Remington can be fussy with ammunition, but I haven't heard any other negatives, so I was hoping that members of this board who own, and shoot, the rifle will be able to give some advice from their experiences.

Will the rifle be adequate for my stated requirements?

Regards.

Mark

az doug
05-08-11, 17:13

The Bushmaster .308/7.62 rifles use a different magazine to the DPMS/Remington, which uses the same magazines as the Knights and LMT....

Mark

The new Bushmaster ORC 308 uses the same mags as Knights, DPMS, Remington and LMT. Yes, they use P-Mags.

The older Bushmaster, now Rock River use FAL mags.

MWL
05-08-11, 18:44
Thank you for the information on Bushmaster.

Is the change due to them now being made by Remington/DPMS, and are Bushmasters now available again?

Regards.

Mark

az doug
05-08-11, 19:59
I do not know for certain, but believe the change is due to DPMS, Remington and Bushmaster being owned by the same company.

As to availability, I don't know.