PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x51 vs 7.62x39

Joshk
05-06-11, 16:20
I have a Del-ton AR-15 7.62x39 chambered. I wanted more knock down power beyond 100yrds, and I figure bigger is better.

I was looking to buy the New Bushmaster .308 MOE Mid-length. Worth it? thoughts?

GIJew766
05-06-11, 20:03
Thoughts? Heres a few...

For starters, get rid of that Del-Ton pile and stop even considering a new rifle of any kind until you read the forum for a while. Take a look at the Chart, read through some of the threads comparing .308 ARs and learn a few things.

First off, looking at your posting history, you never seem to give too much info about yourself or your needs. What do you need the 7.62 NATO for? What optics you planning on running for the "range" you seek? Are you going to train on the rifle very much, because .308 ammo isn't the cheapest. You don't strike me as someone who knows too much about the platform to begin with. My mall-ninja radar is pinging pretty bad right now.

Give us some more info and then maybe we can offer some decent advice. Until then...

H

mkmckinley
05-06-11, 21:01
Why don't you read the stickies? There's a lot of information there that will answer your questions.

QuietShootr
05-06-11, 21:01
Piss poor.

TOrrock
05-06-11, 21:05
I would certainly replace your DelTon, but with a standard high quality 5.56mm carbine like a Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, Bravo Co., or Noveske.

Any of those choices are extremely well made and will perform admirably as a defensive carbine.

If you are wanting to use the carbine to hunt up to medium game, you can get a dedicated upper in a larger caliber like 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .300 Blackout, and use the same lower.

But to answer your question best, we need to know 1) what your baseline of experience is, 2) what your intended uses for the carbine are, and 3) your budget.

GIJew766
05-06-11, 21:07
I would certainly replace your DelTon, but with a standard high quality 5.56mm carbine like a Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, Bravo Co., or Noveske.

Any of those choices are extremely well made and will perform admirably as a defensive carbine.

If you are wanting to use the carbine to hunt up to medium game, you can get a dedicated upper in a larger caliber like 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .300 Blackout, and use the same lower.

But to answer your question best, we need to know 1) what your baseline of experience is, 2) what your intended uses for the carbine are, and 3) your budget.

See, this is what I was getting at, but you said it in a much nicer way than I did.

Apparently, I shouldn't post while I'm sitting in the station after several calls...

H

Joshk
05-06-11, 23:04
Posting Rules

1) Derogatory Remarks – Please do not post any comments that are intentional personal attacks against other members. (Including, but not limited to, name calling, comments of a racial, religious or sexual nature.) Debate is welcome and encouraged. Personal attacks, and name calling, serve no purpose in the exchange and debate of good information. Please be respectful to your fellow shooting enthusiasts whether they are new shooters or seasoned veterans.

so anyhow. The AR I have is for home defense, and or Hunting deer, Wild boar, and Coyotes. Just thought that maybe someone could give me a intelligent point of view on Bushmaster brand compaired to my DTI. "Not your DTI is garbage throw it away." kind of crap. I am well aware there are better AR platforms out there. I am not a professional. Thats why I joined the site.

ZRH
05-07-11, 00:59
Posting Rules

1) Derogatory Remarks – Please do not post any comments that are intentional personal attacks against other members. (Including, but not limited to, name calling, comments of a racial, religious or sexual nature.) Debate is welcome and encouraged. Personal attacks, and name calling, serve no purpose in the exchange and debate of good information. Please be respectful to your fellow shooting enthusiasts whether they are new shooters or seasoned veterans.

so anyhow. The AR I have is for home defense, and or Hunting deer, Wild boar, and Coyotes. Just thought that maybe someone could give me a intelligent point of view on Bushmaster brand compaired to my DTI. "Not your DTI is garbage throw it away." kind of crap. I am well aware there are better AR platforms out there. I am not a professional. Thats why I joined the site.

7.62x51 is a full sized (as opposed to intermediate) rifle round. It's not a valid comparative to 7.62x39. </full stop>

5.56x45 will do everything you listed except deer.

TOrrock
05-07-11, 03:50

Posting Rules

Did I tell you to throw your DTI away? No, I said I'd sell it, as you were asking if you should, and replace it with a quality carbine.

Take a minute to read Army Chief's thread here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70019

Welcome to the site. I'd also take some time and use the orange search button at the top right hand side of the page, it will go a long way towards finding answers for your questions as many have already been answered in past threads.

I would not invest in a Bushmaster.

GIJew766
05-07-11, 05:46