PDA

View Full Version : New to ARs ...

BamaM4
05-06-11, 17:44
Just bought my first AR off of auction. Daniel Defense ver.1.

I understand DD has a good rep, but tell me about the version 1....I gather version 5 is better, but what should I be wary of, lookout for with this version?

I love reading this site, which I have done for days now.......

Thanks in advance.

usmcvet
05-06-11, 20:35
I don't haves DD but would imagine their website would spell it out best. Does the 1 have standard handguards and furniture and the 5 have a rail, verticle fore grip and better furniture? All of the DD gear I've owned has been good to go. I would suggest the basic gun to start. It will save you money and when we are new at this we often buy stuff we don't need or use because someone else has it or it looks cool.

BamaM4
05-06-11, 22:22
I don't haves DD but would imagine their website would spell it out best. Does the 1 have standard handguards and furniture and the 5 have a rail, verticle fore grip and better furniture? All of the DD gear I've owned has been good to go. I would suggest the basic gun to start. It will save you money and when we are new at this we often buy stuff we don't need or use because someone else has it or it looks cool.

True.
I sorta figure the '1' is the base model with rails. Didn't know if any particular issues had been identified with the '1' or it was just meant to be a "base" model. Being an AR neophyte, I am quite comfortable with starting off with less frills.

Dutchy556
05-06-11, 22:32
No issues / nothing to be wary of... V1 is simply the configuration of the rifle. Not better or worse per-se than any of the other variants, just a different set up. The V1 = Carbine length gas with fixed front sight and OmegaX 12 FSP rail, etc. It was the first configuration DD offered, hence V1. Not even the "base" model really, that would be the XV.

You can see what each of the different DD versions are here (https://danieldefense.com/rifles.html?limit=all)

Congrats on a fine purchase, now get out there and shoot the hell out of it!

BamaM4
05-07-11, 13:14
No issues / nothing to be wary of... V1 is simply the configuration of the rifle. Not better or worse per-se than any of the other variants, just a different set up. The V1 = Carbine length gas with fixed front sight and OmegaX 12 FSP rail, etc. It was the first configuration DD offered, hence V1. Not even the "base" model really, that would be the XV.

You can see what each of the different DD versions are here (https://danieldefense.com/rifles.html?limit=all)

Congrats on a fine purchase, now get out there and shoot the hell out of it!

Thanks.

Yeah, I have been to the DD site a hundred times. Knowing virtually nothing about the particulars of the platform, I was just looking for the practical likes/dislikes of this particular weapon.

Everything I have read, so far, comes down to:

1. DD is a fine weapon, reliable and very well made
2. Some folks prefer a middy gas system - (I have yet to learn why)
3. Lots of folks do not like "fugly" rail systems on an AR - (I happen to like the system, as it seems to allow for good options in the future without modifications to the handguard system)
4. Most everybody likes DD rails
5. Some folks dislike the sights (front and/or rear)
6. The vast majority are impressed/pleased with the trigger
7. 'AND MOST IMPORTANT' - Daniel Defense is a quality buy.
(which was important to me, cause I will love this rifle as I do all of my weapons and will, most likely, never part with it.)

I am searching for a class in my area. I know my FFL could teach me, but still is suffering storm damage, etc......

Dutchy556
05-07-11, 15:04
Thanks.

1. DD is a fine weapon, reliable and very well made
True

2. Some folks prefer a middy gas system - (I have yet to learn why) Softer recoil impulse, longer sight radius & longer handguards/more rail space with fixed front sight, etc. Also the belief that reduced pressure with the longer gas system leads to less wear and tear on parts than carbine gas. All that aside, carbine gas should serve you fine.

3. Lots of folks do not like "fugly" rail systems on an AR - (I happen to like the system, as it seems to allow for good options in the future without modifications to the handguard system)Who gives a shit what other people think about the looks of rails, if it fulfills your needs and you like it that's all that matters.

4. Most everybody likes DD rails True. Myself included. DD rails are very well regarded as some of the best available.

5. Some folks dislike the sights (front and/or rear) Again, who cares what other people think... some love the a1.5 rear, some don't. Some will only use a fixed fsb, some don't like em. Everybody has an opinion - form you own. The sights on your rifle are of good quality - use them, see if you like them - if you do, soldier on. Only real reason I can see to change down the road would be if you needed a flip up rear to have clearance for a magnified optic

6. The vast majority are impressed/pleased with the trigger Its a mil spec trigger from a quality manufacturer, it should serve you well.

7. 'AND MOST IMPORTANT' - Daniel Defense is a quality buy. True again.

I am searching for a class in my area. I know my FFL could teach me, but still is suffering storm damage, etc......

A class is a great idea. Get yourself a good sling and get out there and use the thing. Practice the fundamentals, get used to & proficient with the iron sights. Down the road start thinking about a light, optics and any other doodads you might desire. For now, keep it simple, get some training, shoot often and keep reading on m4c, there's a lot of good info here.

Again, congrats on your purchase, it will be a great rifle with which to learn.

BamaM4
05-07-11, 16:38
A class is a great idea. Get yourself a good sling and get out there and use the thing. Practice the fundamentals, get used to & proficient with the iron sights. Down the road start thinking about a light, optics and any other doodads you might desire. For now, keep it simple, get some training, shoot often and keep reading on m4c, there's a lot of good info here.

Again, congrats on your purchase, it will be a great rifle with which to learn.

Thanks for your thoughts/knowledge/advice.

Yes, iron sights are first. I do want optics, but somewhere down the road, after the irons are mastered :D I got a long row to hoe before I get there. These weapons are far more complicated than the pistols I am used to.

It'll be a week or so before it comes in (hazards of buying auction stuff), but the price, even with shipping, I believe will make it an exceptional value and great starting point.

Heck, I enjoy watching videos of folks shooting ARs, I am chomping at the bit to do it myself!

BamaM4
05-19-11, 10:18
Received my DD V1!!! Picked it up last night. I am blessed to have access to a truly great FFL/gunsmith who is a former Marine armorer.

He gave me his "nickel tour" of taking down an AR. That, alone, was worth four or five of his transfer fees. Bad news is...there are no AR classes in my area...none.

I think I am gonna love this! Can't wait to get her out on the range!

PrivateCitizen
05-19-11, 10:46
What is your area?

kartoffel
05-19-11, 18:11
Received my DD V1!!! Picked it up last night. I am blessed to have access to a truly great FFL/gunsmith who is a former Marine armorer.

He gave me his "nickel tour" of taking down an AR. That, alone, was worth four or five of his transfer fees. Bad news is...there are no AR classes in my area...none.

I think I am gonna love this! Can't wait to get her out on the range!

Are you Alabama, BamaM4? Shoot me a PM if you're looking for some AR shooting people in the Huntsville/Decatur area.

BamaM4
05-20-11, 15:00
What is your area?

Are you Alabama, BamaM4? Shoot me a PM if you're looking for some AR shooting people in the Huntsville/Decatur area.

Yes, I am in the Huntsville area (smack dab). I am looking to try Sharon Johnston Park range, but have had strong recommendations for the Swan Creek range. Might prefer the Sharon Johnston one cause it is closer than driving to Athens.....but then again, I know nothing about these places so the drive might be worth it.

I am sure an AR shooting class would be of great benefit, but I guess I'll just look for reading material....

kartoffel
05-21-11, 17:56
Might prefer the Sharon Johnston one cause it is closer

That one is for shotgun, pistol and rimfire only.

BamaM4
05-21-11, 23:02
That one is for shotgun, pistol and rimfire only.

So down to Swan Creek or a rifle club?