PDA

View Full Version : If you were me, sell AR for....

nhmike
05-06-11, 21:23
Here is something I am trying to work out in my head.

I have a chance to get a very little used Sig 556 Patrol topped with a leupold scope (a nice one) for $9-maybe-800 dollars.

Now that would give me two "expensive" rifles chamber in 5.56
The one I have now is a Bushmaster flat top carbine. Nothing special, just the basic rifle with an Aimpoint and quick detach base. Viking tactics sling. Pretty much basic Bushy AR.

I would have to sell the Bushy to fund the Sig. Which is a better rifle for shooting paper, basic drills and classes and hunting Coyotes in cold, snow, wet crappy New England winters. Keep in mind that the Sig is the pushrod system. I don't completely understand this verses that yet. A slight plus toward the Sig is that I am NH so I could take the Sig rifle Armorers courses.....

Thanks for your input!

z28bryan
05-06-11, 21:29
id get the sig, better rifle and you get the bonus of the course.

TOrrock
05-06-11, 21:34
Slow down, take some time to read through the stuck threads at the top of the forums and you'll find a lot of answers there.

Yes, I'd sell the Bushy, but I wouldn't replace it with a SIG 516 piston system. A Colt, Bravo Co., LMT, Noveske, or Daniel Defense carbine would be a MUCH better choice.

nhmike
05-06-11, 21:35
Thanks, But I edited my above post. After further looking at Sig's site, I decided it was the Sig 556. I remember it did not have the AR style charging handle the 516 does and the 556 does not. So the rifle I have a chance to get the the Sig 556 Patrol.

TOrrock
05-06-11, 21:36
Thanks, But I edited my above post. After further looking at Sig's site, I decided it was the Sig 556. I remember it did not have the AR style charging handle the 516 does and the 556 does not. So the rifle I have a chance to get the the Sig 556 Patrol.

Oh. Hell. No.

Please do a search in the Other Assault Rifles section on SIG 556's.

duece71
05-06-11, 21:38
I read some stuff somewhere on here that was not very favorable, please take your time and look around some. I can't remember the thread, it might be in the "other" rifles section. It may not have been about the 556, just not sure.

Icculus
05-06-11, 21:41
Slow down, take some time to read through the stuck threads at the top of the forums and you'll find a lot of answers there.

Yes, I'd sell the Bushy, but I wouldn't replace it with a SIG 516 piston system. A Colt, Bravo Co., LMT, Noveske, or Daniel Defense carbine would be a MUCH better choice.

Sage advice from someone who knows all manner of weapon systems inside and out from all generations. You would be well served to listen to his advice.

duece71
05-06-11, 21:41
I looked in the Other assault rifles section and that is where you need to start. Do a search there and you should find a starting point. Good luck.

nhmike
05-06-11, 21:44
I looked around in the other assault rifle section and ran a search. Yup, looks like some problems with the rifle. Mine has been problem free.
Thanks.

DeltaSierra
05-07-11, 00:11

I'd go with what Templar said...

I was bitten by the SIG bug a few months ago, until I started researching the SIG 556 and all the problems associated with it.

I'd sell the Bushmaster and pick up one of the ARs that Templar suggested.

I live in New England, and the AR is fine in any weather conditions we might experience in the area.

kaltesherz
05-07-11, 00:58
Sig 556 is a serious POS, take the advice and offload the Bushy and pick up a decent carbine AFTER DOING SOME RESEARCH ON THIS SITE. The search button is a wonderful thing.

ZRH
05-07-11, 05:51
Good overview of 556

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=75698
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=80037
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77125

You'd be better off with a SCAR if you want something 'different.'

nhmike
05-07-11, 07:26
Thanks for all the info! I will stick to my AR!

RAM Engineer
05-07-11, 08:30
Thanks for all the info! I will stick to my AR!

Don't. Do exactly what Templar said to do in his first post.

LONGBOWAH
05-07-11, 08:39
I would just shoot the snot out of the Bushy.

Unless you know what you want, which you don't, by the time you shoot the barrel out of the Bushy IF you shoot it out, you should know what you want.

I realize that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's what I would do.

markm
05-07-11, 08:43
I too would shoot the Bushmaster. The sig is a useless gun, and a pathetic alternative to an AR... even a Bushmaster.

nhmike
05-07-11, 08:47
I would just shoot the snot out of the Bushy.

Unless you know what you want, which you don't, by the time you shoot the barrel out of the Bushy IF you shoot it out, you should know what you want.

I realize that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's what I would do.

Thats what I am gonna do.....