PDA

View Full Version : Been away from scene for two years

Mark21
05-07-11, 00:07
Due to job loss and under-employment, I had to part with 3 of my 5 ARs, and have not done a course nor shot a round in two years. Finally have gotten back on my feet, wife and kids and mortgage are doing well, and actually checking out local ranges to see which one to join, and back to reading this site on a daily basis.... :D

So wanted to ask -- what's the latest and greatest? When I left, the Failzero BCG was brand new, and opinion was binary -- either fad or greatest thing ever. How has it proven out over the past 24 months? Worth the extra $125 over a standard BCG?

Is the middy vs. carbine debate dead? Has middy won for overall?

I had seen a lot of "heat" about lightweight builds right before I checked out. Those still the rage? Never understood this (as a powerlifter myself) over 12-18 ounces. Was this mostly for range competitions or guys that had to hump their gear for endless miles vs. us regular civvys who drive to the range? I was def considering building a pencil-barrel, and might again...

Very interested: a lot of noise was made by manufacturers a couple years back about flash suppressors combined with brakes. Up to then, it was one or the other. I always thought it was impossible to combine the two, and I outfitted everything with Vortex's, which were the best flash suppressors in my mind. Has anyone pulled off the ultimate -- a Vortex-like suppressor that is also a great comp for faster follow-on shots?

The Magpul AFG vs vertical grips... argument settled? I was always privvy to the stubby TD grip. Any reason to change?

Lastly -- BAD levers.... Never tried one, and seemed like a neat idea. Must have, or more hype than purpose?

It is so interesting to come back and see how much things have changed, and how many things have not! Looking forward to learning and contributing going forward. :) Thanks for any thoughts and opinions!

Vegas
05-07-11, 00:21
Being new to the platform in the last 6 months, I am interested to see the response to your questions.

HaydenB
05-07-11, 00:36
Due to job loss and under-employment, I had to part with 3 of my 5 ARs, and have not done a course nor shot a round in two years. Finally have gotten back on my feet, wife and kids and mortgage are doing well, and actually checking out local ranges to see which one to join, and back to reading this site on a daily basis.... :D

Welcome back! I'm a new kid on the block so take anything I say as a grain of salt.

So wanted to ask -- what's the latest and greatest? When I left, the Failzero BCG was brand new, and opinion was binary -- either fad or greatest thing ever. How has it proven out over the past 24 months? Worth the extra $125 over a standard BCG?

I've noticed every review is very positive, but the general consensus is they are mostly for FA, suppressed, SBRs.

Is the middy vs. carbine debate dead? Has middy won for overall

As far as I know the middy won.

I had seen a lot of "heat" about lightweight builds right before I checked out. Those still the rage? Never understood this (as a powerlifter myself) over 12-18 ounces. Was this mostly for range competitions or guys that had to hump their gear for endless miles vs. us regular civvys who drive to the range? I was def considering building a pencil-barrel, and might again...

They still seem to be all the rage, yes.

Very interested: a lot of noise was made by manufacturers a couple years back about flash suppressors combined with brakes. Up to then, it was one or the other. I always thought it was impossible to combine the two, and I outfitted everything with Vortex's, which were the best flash suppressors in my mind. Has anyone pulled off the ultimate -- a Vortex-like suppressor that is also a great comp for faster follow-on shots?

You could be talking about two different things here, the KAC triple tap/Battle Comp type thing or an actual brake with a FH on the end.

From what I've heard and seen the first type are very effective at reducing muzzle flip, and can flash hide as good as an A2 FH.

The latter, on the other hand I cannot imagine hiding flash much better than the classic brakes from which they originate.

The Magpul AFG vs vertical grips... argument settled? I was always privvy to the stubby TD grip. Any reason to change?

Personal preference.

Lastly -- BAD levers.... Never tried one, and seemed like a neat idea. Must have, or more hype than purpose?

They seem effective; that said, I've noticed that most people don't run them.

kaltesherz
05-07-11, 00:41
First of all, welcome back! Nice to see you worked out the finances and kept your family while doing it, not an easy task.

Failzero BCG I can't comment much on as I don't have any experience with it, but from what I've read it seems to "work". But so does any quality properly lubed BCG.

Both Carbine and Mid-length work great, but if I were to buy an upper today it'd be a middy. Less felt recoil, less wear on parts, possibly more reliable as the extraction is less violent. BCM, DD, Noveske and KAC have awesome middys.

Lightweight is still the rage, some people seem to be obsessed with making their carbine as light as possible. Everyone needs a hobby right?

There's been a lot of great comps coming out lately that are break new ground when it comes to design, namely the BattleComp. It compensates extremely well, but isn't "holy **** that's loud" like traditional comps, it also does flash suppression ok. There's also the AAC Breakout, which looks like the end result of a Blackout and a traditional comps night of passion in the back seat of a Camaro.

AFG came and went, some people still like them but it seems a lot are either using VGs (like Tango Down stubbies), standard rail covers, or handstops.

BAD Lever is kinda the same thing, some people really like them, others... meh. Personal preference. I only use one with my Redi-Mod and they seem like a perfect match.

Then again I have my biases, so take this FWIW.

The Cat
05-07-11, 02:53
Welcome back!

You can check out any time you like.... ;)

Mark21
05-08-11, 21:03
Thanks for the replies and for the welcome backs. :) That's why I come to this site. Anywhere else, and this thread would have devolved into garbage; here, you guys kept it level and gave out your solid opinions.

Think I'm going to give the Battlecomp a try, and swap out my M2 for a T1 to shave some weight. Stick with my TD grip and regular BCG as I don't run SBRs or suppressors. I was also PM'd to get a BCM charging handle, and researching those it seems like a smart thing to do. Looking forward to being able to try out this kit, as well as just get some range time in again.

HaydenB
05-08-11, 21:40
Think I'm going to give the Battlecomp a try, and swap out my M2 for a T1 to shave some weight. Stick with my TD grip and regular BCG as I don't run SBRs or suppressors. I was also PM'd to get a BCM charging handle, and researching those it seems like a smart thing to do. Looking forward to being able to try out this kit, as well as just get some range time in again.

Sounds good!

kaltesherz
05-09-11, 00:34
Thanks for the replies and for the welcome backs. :) That's why I come to this site. Anywhere else, and this thread would have devolved into garbage; here, you guys kept it level and gave out your solid opinions.

Sounds like a plan, but if I were you I'd keep your M2, not much of a weight savings for the cost increase, but the BCM Gunfighter CH is wicked awesome and a sound investment. Spent your extra cash on ammo and training.

nickdrak
05-09-11, 02:23
Mark,

If you can make it out to the ASC (Aurora Sportsman's Club) you are welcome to try either or both of my BattleComp'ed AR's. You can also check out the club.

I am a big fan of the FailZero BCG's. I have been running one for just over a year now along with one of their EXO coated stripped upper receivers and it runs really smooth, and clean up is a breeze. Not sure I can say it is worth the extra $125 over a BCM F/A BCG, but I have no complaints with the FailZero kit. I would stick with the BCG directly from FailZero, and not one of the EXO coated BCG's from Spikes as the finish on my Spikes EXO coated BCG seems to be less durable than my factory FZ BCG's. The bottom of the BCG where the hammer makes contact on my SPike's BCG has some grooves cut into the finish from the hammer. I have since switched that trigger group into my other AR with the factory FZ BCG, and no issues have come up with the finish on the same surface area on the factory FZ BCG at all.

Im not a huge fan of the Aimpoint T1/H1 as the smaller diameter tube just doesnt work for me at all. I would instead consider a M3/ML3 (2moa dot) to replace your M2.

If you are looking to build up a new AR or upper Bravo Co. is the way to go. Their hammer forged barrel selection is the best in the business. Daniel Defense has a lot of options as well, but they dont seem to have their 14.5" Middy gas ports tuned as well as Bravo Co. does.

Stay safe,
Nick

rob_s
05-09-11, 05:35
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

No matter what the latest and greatest is, bolting it on without first identifying a need is a great way to burn cash and sink yourself into debt. I speak from experience (at least the part about wasting money, not the part about carrying debt, thankfully).

I'd be less worried about what new thing to bolt on to the gun and instead be worried about getting out to the range. Especially before some nitwit shows up and tells you there's been great improvements in triggers in the last two years (there have) and that you NEED one just to get the gun to function (you don't).

The lightweight "fad" has caught on as more and more people get out and actually shoot. Being a powerlifter or a 98 lbs weakling has nothing at all to do with it and a lot of guys that are in great shape are taking to the lightweight guns because they are less fatiguing (what you can dead-lift often has little to do with how much weight you can carry for 3 days), easier to drive, and give up nothing to their heavier counterparts in practical use, especially when one of the new-fangled muzzle devices is attached. Opting for a heavier version of something instead of an equally functional lighter version is either stubborn, anachronistic, or neanderthalithic. Obviously going with plastic receivers, carbon-fiber tubes with weak connections, etc. is not the same thing as simply choosing a lighter profile barrel because the heavier offers no practical advantage. Some people can't get past their own blockage that if they are seen with the lightweight gun they'll be perceived as being weak, or they came out publicly against the lightweight guns and now can't go back on that and still save face.

Which brings me to the mid-length. I was pretty opposed to it, even as recently as two years ago. I now have 5 of them in my safe, one personal and four on loan (all BCM but the last one: a Dissipator 16" GI-profile, a lightweight 16", a GI-profile 16", a GI-profile 14.5", and a Next Generation Arms 14.5" with Noveske barrel) and I had another 14.5" BCM mid for an article last year. I was especially skeptical of the 14.5" mid, and still don't recommend them for an only AR, but haven't had any reliability issues with them. I admit that I was wrong about the mid-length. and as they have grown in popularity more and more alternate parts are available for them, such as the Magpul MOE handguards which are a great middle ground between the tapered GI style and the various free-float systems.

But, my #1 recommendation for a new AR, and something that wasn't around two years ago, is the Colt 6720 (http://www.policeguns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=16_236&products_id=6615&osCsid=raf4vq7vlpbgvq9ihnfov210a5). Lightweight barrel, carbine-length gas tube, and IMHO the best damn AR you can buy at $1,079. If my house burned down or my safe got emptied by thieves tomorrow, this is how I'd start over.

ActiveShooter
05-09-11, 06:58

Welcome Back! I'll answer the questions that I have knowledge or opinions on....

Is the middy vs. carbine debate dead? Has middy won for overall?

There is still some debate, but A LOT of people have jumped ship to the mid-length, myself included.

Oh Yes.... Many people are still using and building these. They are an advantage for all purposes as they shoulder easier and have less momentum to stop when swinging between targets.

In my opinion that would be the battlecomp, but it doesn't kill the flash as well as the vortex.

I prefer my AFG to a conventional vertical grip hands down, but it is personal preference. I will say that the majority of serious shooters I see are using the magpul style grip regardless of what grip/handstop they have.

A lot of people love them. I don't really like them myself because I want to be able to pick up any AR and not fumble, wondering what way I need to manipulate the gun.

Hope this helps! :)

g5m
05-09-11, 08:31

Thank the mods for that.

And, Welcome back! Glad to hear things are going better.

ReaperAZ
05-09-11, 08:58
This thread is pretty much spot on with my situation as well. I had a "forced" break from the scene and when I decided to return was ready to buy and soak up info. I did a lot of reading here and mainly wanted to get back in the game with a basic simple rifle. Went with a BCM BFH 16" Mid upper with a BCM BCG. As for a lower I went with a local company that came complete with Magpul MOE stuff and supposedly a Daniel Defense LPK. After the first time out shooting it and putting 350 rounds through the rifle I am more then happy with the result. Love the mid-length as compared to my previous carbine gas systems. Not a single issue with the rifle. Except I ran out of ammo. My girlfriends father who has been shooting the AR type rifle since he was in Vietnam said that he loved the mid-length system and with the standard A2 FH was super impressed with how it shot. So much so that he will now be buying one.

Welcome back, I know the feeling and it's like being reunited with an old friend.

Mark21
05-09-11, 14:59
Mark,

If you can make it out to the ASC (Aurora Sportsman's Club) you are welcome to try either or both of my BattleComp'ed AR's. You can also check out the club.

Nick -- I'm going to come out to the ASC at the end of May. Would love to try out the Battlecomp and zero in one of my ARs (have a Noveske and DD uppers, both NIB from 24+ months ago). After checking out the website, looks like I'll be applying for membership there.

Being a powerlifter or a 98 lbs weakling has nothing at all to do with it and a lot of guys that are in great shape are taking to the lightweight guns because they are less fatiguing (what you can dead-lift often has little to do with how much weight you can carry for 3 days), easier to drive, and give up nothing to their heavier counterparts in practical use, especially when one of the new-fangled muzzle devices is attached.

Probably the simplest explanation for why to do the lightweight route that I've heard, and makes complete sense to me.

And everyone else - just because I didn't quote your reply directly, does not mean I didn't appreciate it and take it under consideration. Thanks.

MistWolf
05-09-11, 17:39
I have a FailZero carrier in my AR. It feels smoother, hasn't gummed up when the oil was shot off and I like how it looks in my rifle. However, my AR would function just as well with a standard carrier. The FailZero is not a must have item and I'm not certain I'd buy another.

While there are no such things as a free lunch and lightweight carbines are going to run hotter, a carbine as light as practical is more than just a rage. One that is also balanced right feels livelier and is much more enjoyable to shoot and the recoil of the 223 isn't going to be harsh.

I have heavy rifles and I have light rifles. While I am contemplating ways to reduce the weight of a couple rifles, I don't find myself wishing any were heavier