PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity on my part?

Travelingchild
05-07-11, 11:18
Posted on another section that I'm taking my 1st carbine course,

While trying my gear selection to see if it works, discovered that my set up prevents me from accessing my pistol, had to change that.:blink:

Looked over to see my buddy having similar issues, He's taking a brand new pistol with very little trigger time & and a problematic ak.

Back when, I asked if he wanted to go showed the gear list & he said yup.
I'm paying for his slot and starting to wonder...
Months ago I took a pistol course with a different friend, he bought 1911 mags. day of that course. Guess who had all kinds of issues with his pistol. (mags were crap and out of spec)
Should I just start attending these on my own? Even If my friends show more interest & enthusiasm than me? But use crap gear and hold up the classes because it breaks or just fails.
Note' I have held things up due to my lack of abilitly but not due to bringing crap gear. So am I just thinking like an ass?

dewatters
05-09-11, 10:47
I suspect your friends might be more motivated to arrive with proper equipment if they paid their own course fees.

markm
05-09-11, 10:53
There's always some guy fighting his 1911 in pistol classes. But bringing a known problematic AK to class?

C'MON, MAN!

Ironman8
05-09-11, 13:14
Posted on another section that I'm taking my 1st carbine course,

While trying my gear selection to see if it works, discovered that my set up prevents me from accessing my pistol, had to change that.:blink:

Looked over to see my buddy having similar issues, He's taking a brand new pistol with very little trigger time & and a problematic ak.

Back when, I asked if he wanted to go showed the gear list & he said yup.
I'm paying for his slot and starting to wonder...
Months ago I took a pistol course with a different friend, he bought 1911 mags. day of that course. Guess who had all kinds of issues with his pistol. (mags were crap and out of spec)
Should I just start attending these on my own? Even If my friends show more interest & enthusiasm than me? But use crap gear and hold up the classes because it breaks or just fails.
Note' I have held things up due to my lack of abilitly but not due to bringing crap gear. So am I just thinking like an ass?

NO! I will gladly attend a class that you pay for! :sarcastic:

And I promise I won't hold it up :D

Stump70
05-09-11, 17:18
You have to find a setup that works with everything you plan on humping. I attended an event last year and was all sorts of fail
because I didn't work things out before I left.

I would try to convince your friends not to skimp on things too,
and practice your setup before attending classes.

Ass, no.

sobiloff
05-09-11, 17:28
Make sure your gear's sorted before you go, because a class will push your gear even harder and stuff you thought was good to go will fail you. That's one of the reasons we train, but don't go into the class with known problems. You're spending money and maybe even taking time off from work to learn what the class has to teach. Don't screw yourself out of that opportunity by having to focus on your broken gear.

Travelingchild
05-09-11, 20:28
Here's the reason why, I'm paying for his slot.
My buddies spend their money on nice cars, mines just a vehicle & the drive is over 6 hours away, plus my car is basically what is known as a valley work car. It's one of the few crappy things I own:sarcastic:
Work tools, cooking stuff, firearms, I wait and try to buy quality even if it means waiting.
When I factored in the cost of a car rental for a long weekend, It was the same as paying for his slot & he was interested. So that's why. He's on his own as far as I'm concerned.

My gear colt hbar with vicker sling, attached at end of stock & infront of magwell on hand guard doesn't get in the way of my light access.(do wish I had a lighter rifle) 4pack chest bandoleer maybe a drop leg for 1 quick reload (not sure a bout that)magpull & lancers
off brand red dot that came with gun(saving for a real aimpoint or quality 1x4) fixed front sight & wilson rear(left up always)
Pistol Ed Brown SF full size with 3 wilson mags weak side(I've run 2000 round through this without cleaning it just hosing with gunk penetrating oil no issues)
Hydration system & first aid kit, Thinking of spare parts now

Spiffums
05-10-11, 05:54
There's always some guy fighting his 1911 in pistol classes. But bringing a known problematic AK to class?

C'MON, MAN!

Is this why they call the 1911 a "fighting handgun"? :sarcastic:

Let them foot the bill and they will learn PDQ. Or you just need more appreciative friends.

usmcvet
05-15-11, 19:27
Make sure your irons are sighted in. Especially with a no name RDS.

Travelingchild
05-16-11, 00:45
Make sure your irons are sighted in. Especially with a no name RDS.

Well they were, but my brain wasn't, during one drill somehow I bumped it off, used the irons instead. :sad:

It went well, learned a lot got confused, didn't understand certain things & most importantly for me didn't have any negilent discharges .

aveisone
05-16-11, 01:09
I wish I had friends like the OP.

Kuro Ookami
05-17-11, 15:15
I don't think it's stupidity on your part. I think what you have to watch for is how your friend will approach the problem if that problematic AK does act up. If he resolves to learn from his mistakes, you didn't make a mistake. If he says "oh well" and doesn't take steps to fix the problem, then it might do you better to go by yourself next time.