PDA

View Full Version : Maverick HS-12 O'U "Tactical"?

CLHC
05-07-11, 18:08
Just curious about the "tacticality" of said shotgun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUSpHWJ3P5w

http://soldiersystems.net/2010/12/31/maverick-hs12-tactical-overunder/

Dave Berryhill
05-07-11, 20:35
Just curious about the "tacticality" of said shotgun?

Evidently you can paint just about anything black and bolt a picatinny rail to it and it becomes "tactical."
:rolleyes:

TOrrock
05-07-11, 20:45
That's just retarded.

ZRH
05-07-11, 23:02
Um not even extractors? I've used single shot rifles that were more practical...

bigghoss
05-08-11, 11:19
Um not even extractors? I've used single shot rifles that were more practical...

it has extractors but not EJECTORS. it'll push the shells out a bit for you but they still need to be plucked by hand. I'll stick to a pump gun and save myself $150.

Dave Berryhill
05-08-11, 11:27
If it was a side by side then you could use it to compete in Cowboy Action Shooting tactical class. :D

ChicagoTex
05-08-11, 11:53
If it was a side by side then you could use it to compete in Cowboy Action Shooting tactical class.

That market was already covered by Stoeger. (http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php)

Returning to the Maverick, notice how the "well made shotgun" in the video review looks with regards to the muzzles and the way the paint is already coming off the combination picatinny rail/rear sight.

J-Dub
05-08-11, 11:59
Doubles are for hunting. They should look "pretty", nice walnut and deep blue.

Picatinny rails shouldnt be anywhere near a double barrel shotgun.

Ed L.
05-08-11, 17:58
If someone wants to spend the money on a red dot or light to put on the rails, they should ahve first spent the money on a shotgun that can be fired more than two times before it has to be reloaded.

Kyohte
05-09-11, 00:04
Mossberg just keeps digging....

Travis B
05-23-11, 20:14
Mossberg just keeps digging....

I hate that I love my 590A1SPX. If they didn't make that, the Chainsaw, etc, would make me never buy one.

OldGreg
05-25-11, 16:33
Our store has a couple. Silly for sure, but it gets worse.. most don't realize that it wont fire if its pointed downward, towards the floor for example. It has a bizarre safety system, for sure.

Travis B
05-25-11, 16:36
Our store has a couple. Silly for sure, but it gets worse.. most don't realize that it wont fire if its pointed downward, towards the floor for example. It has a bizarre safety system, for sure.

Wait, what?

Ramcharger413
05-25-11, 18:17
I look at that shotgun and can only think how pimps back in the 60's would have liked it.

Won't fire pointed down! rules it out for snake country.

Moose-Knuckle
05-25-11, 21:10
I have thought about getting the Stoger Double Defense or the like strictly as a under the seat truck gun, especially if it breaks down due to compactability. If it gets stolen or damaged I woundn't be out my 590 or 870.

Travis B
05-25-11, 21:13
I have thought about getting the Stoger Double Defense or the like strictly as a under the seat truck gun, especially if it breaks down due to compactability. If it gets stolen or damaged I woundn't be out my 590 or 870.

A Mossberg 500 is cheaper

Moose-Knuckle
05-26-11, 02:52
A Mossberg 500 is cheaper

And cannot break down to conceal beneath my compact truck's seats.

Travis B
05-26-11, 07:04
And cannot break down to conceal beneath my compact truck's seats.

Touche. Even though I did once have one with an overfolding stock that was really compact (don't judge, I was young and stupid).

Dan Goodwin
05-26-11, 18:50
Its LOP appears a bit too long, but I can see it as a viable home defense weapon, certainly not a "tactical".

Put a decent white light on it, load it appropriately and it would suffice for most homeowners.

It could also serve double duty as a hunting shotgun in extreme close cover.

The screw-in chokes could make for some interesting combos, too.

bigghoss
05-27-11, 17:35
I can see it as a viable home defense weapon, certainly not a "tactical".

Put a decent white light on it, load it appropriately and it would suffice for most homeowners.

sure it could work for that, but why? a pump-action is cheaper and holds more shells and most have a ton of aftermarket support so getting the right stock or mounting optics or a light are no trouble.

Beat Trash
05-29-11, 13:26
I was in a local gun store yesterday. As I was walking by one section, I saw these out of the corner of my eye. TH
hey had a O/U and a side-by-side. Short OAL, and a bit of rail on the bottom of the barrel, near the muzzle.

The store was packed due to a sale and S&W reps on site. I almost asked to see one of these, but decided not to. Kind of like being seen riding a mo-ped, might be fun, but you wouldn't want to be seen on one.

I have no idea what they are selling for, but I'm sure it can't be much more than what I could get a base model Mossberg 500 w/18" bbl.

But then, right before I saw the O/U Tactical shotgun, I was still shaking my head at a pistol gripped Mossberg shotgun with a monster muzzle break and this contraption that looked like the safety bar from a chain saw bolted onto the forend.

Do people really buy into this shit?

Amazing...

Redmanfms
06-21-11, 20:56
Do people really buy into this shit?

I remember having a pretty big argument with someone on this site a year or so ago over the practicality of a side-by-side with a picatinny on it. I thought it was childish and idiotic, especially since I recall the price being substantially more than what a used 870P goes for, but he seemed to think a double was easier for a novice to learn. Eh. Unless one lives in a locality in which pumps or autos are illegal a double still strikes me as an asinine choice for anything beyond birds and cowboy dress-up parties. Over-under configuration doesn't change that opinion one little bit.