PDA

View Full Version : Universal Sight Pusher

Race
05-07-11, 21:09
Is there a universal sight tool/sight pusher that works well? I would like to be able to use it on Glocks, 1911s, BHPs, Sigs, etc.

I would like something cheaper than the $400 tool.

If there is not, any recommendations on dedicated sight pushers?

Thanks

win_nut
05-07-11, 21:20
I bought the Uni-2ool from Top Gun Supply. It's not too bad, take a little patients to use. I think the MGW sight pusher are better, but I think they are brand specific.

Hizzie
05-13-11, 11:00
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=17840/Product/P500_UNIVERSAL_SIGHT_TOOL

Get the whole kit. The hold down clamp is required for XD's and M&P's.

Takes some figuring and fiddling to get just right but works great.

MrMiller
05-13-11, 12:06
I've tried a number of these things but they are expensive, limited in their usefulness and flexibility for tall suppressor sights, and can and will damage sights in factory dovetails.

Why the manufacturers (or anyone) feel the need to install these that tight is beyond me.

I finally came across a small inexpensive kit that works for installing anything/everything.

Get the right angle dovetail files, some nice polished steel punches and some brass punches.
Learn to fit the sight so that they go in with reasonable force that doesn't take a multi ton press to move them.

There is zero reason to have sights that tight. They ain't gonna move or fall out?

Having done hundreds of these, I can fit and install most sights faster with my tools than I can trying to get one of these sight pushers set up.

Hizzie
05-13-11, 12:14
Why the manufacturers (or anyone) feel the need to install these that tight is beyond me.

There is zero reason to have sights that tight. They ain't gonna move or fall out?

Springfiled Armory XD's are one of the worst offenders. My Dad ruined a brass drift trying to get his factory sights out.

MrMiller
05-13-11, 20:39
Springfiled Armory XD's are one of the worst offenders. My Dad ruined a brass drift trying to get his factory sights out.

You got that right.

marh415
05-15-11, 12:07
I just had a similar experience with my Glock, I used a brass drift to remove the plastic factory sight, I was able to get the new rear sight (Ameriglo Hacks) half way down the dove tail then I ran into trouble. So i decided to go down to the local gun shop where I bought them to have it pushed the rest of the way on using his tool. He takes it to the back room and I hear this hammering, I'm like WTF!!! Five minutes later, he brings it out and says that you can't use the pusher if the sight as been started already, they either have to be installed all the way or not at all. I then notice a mark on the sight from the steel drift he used, So I payed $20 for something I could have did myself and not damaged my sight!! :sad:

MrMiller
05-15-11, 16:25
I just had a similar experience with my Glock, I used a brass drift to remove the plastic factory sight, I was able to get the new rear sight (Ameriglo Hacks) half way down the dove tail then I ran into trouble. So i decided to go down to the local gun shop where I bought them to have it pushed the rest of the way on using his tool. He takes it to the back room and I hear this hammering, I'm like WTF!!! Five minutes later, he brings it out and says that you can't use the pusher if the sight as been started already, they either have to be installed all the way or not at all. I then notice a mark on the sight from the steel drift he used, So I payed $20 for something I could have did myself and not damaged my sight!! :sad:

I'd call bullshit on that story.

If nothing else the sight should have been either pushed or driven back out if it was too tight for a brass drift.

Then the sight should have been properly fit and either installed with a pusher or a polished drift with a protective cover on the sight to prevent the damage you described.

I do these all the time and if the sight is properly fit there are no issues.

DaveR
05-15-11, 16:52
I use the MGW and it works well. Got the Glock version but was also able to use it on an M&P with some shimming.

I found this link for an interesting pusher/adjuster. It has adapters for XD and Glock with M&P on the way. Never seen one in person.
http://www.srvcanada.com/product_info.php/products_id/179

I paid $60 for my MGW long time ago so they seem pretty expensive to me.

marh415
05-15-11, 17:12
I'd call bullshit on that story.

If nothing else the sight should have been either pushed or driven back out if it was too tight for a brass drift.

Then the sight should have been properly fit and either installed with a pusher or a polished drift with a protective cover on the sight to prevent the damage you described.

I do these all the time and if the sight is properly fit there are no issues.

I agree, I see no difference between using a pusher on an already installed sight, or one that just needed to be pushed the rest of the way.

BTW, would you happen to have any pics or video's of rear sight installations?

MrMiller
05-16-11, 00:31
I agree, I see no difference between using a pusher on an already installed sight, or one that just needed to be pushed the rest of the way.

BTW, would you happen to have any pics or video's of rear sight installations?

No, I don't have anything in terms of instructional pictures or videos.

aveisone
05-16-11, 01:13
Ive fit all my aftermarket sights with a punch. Truglo needed a slight amount of material removed. Its easy and cheap. I recommend it.